Do You Still Have A 'Desktop' PC/Mac @ Home ?

ownyourfuture

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
If so, do you plan to buy another one when that one goes kaput ?
If not, do you ever plan to purchase one ?

I'll be honest, I'm trying to get my arms around the home desktop market.
I own Intel stock, & the slowdown in this segment has held it back for the last 4 or 5 years.

My personal opinion is that the home desktop market will never reach the old levels of success. Many people, & the vast majority of younger people, are using their phones and/or tablets it seems.

I'll always want/prefer a desktop at home.
I have a 20 inch iMac that I bought new in May 2008.
Can't remember the name of the original operating system, upgraded to snow leopard, then mountain lion, & last week to OS X El Capitan.

Definitely slower on start up, but other than that it works great.

The only other upgrade was the memory. Upped it from 2 to 6 GB.

Yup, a PC with a 27" monitor. Me thinks I need a 31", I like a big picture.

Yes, I still have my Linux desktop, running on an ancient Pentium processor. It works just fine, why would I want to change it?

We probably have not had a desktop for 10 years or perhaps more. For what we use our PCs for laptops are much more useful. I got used to traveling with a laptop when I was workign and will never go back to a desktop.

My wife and I both have desktop computers and I still have one for w*rk for a couple more months. I really don't care for laptops and don't think I want to use a tablet for everything. When I use my iPad I keep wishing that it had a mouse for some things.

nope several laptops but no desktops

Yes and if my desktop (Win 10) goes kaput, I'll definitely get another...but I buy used, not new.

Husband and I rely on laptops/phones, but I prefer a desktop for a few tasks, i.e. taxes.

Our current desktop (I am the only one who ever touches it) is an emachine. Remember those? There was a time I would not have considered one, but got one for $200 from a local computer dealer/repair place. With the few things I use it for, $200, spread over 4-5 years, is a bargain. It is on its fourth year now and working great. Of course, not much is required of it.

I ditched the laptop and desktop about same time I ditched my landline 5 years ago... My iPad and Chromebook are all I need. Next purchase will be that big ipad pro... Will waste all of the unique uses and will be buying it only for the big screen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have an iMac and MacBook. But I could see surviving on only a MacBook if I had a big monitor.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Yep. Been sitting on the desk 10 years without using. Since we're moving, I'm disassembling it tomorrow.

Had only laptops for over 10 years, then Apple came out with a wowzer hi-res "retina 5K" 27 inch display with a built-in iMac, and we had to get it for our photo and video editing. DH is on it all the time.

Attachments

• 150205_Hi_Res_Display.jpg
    150205_Hi_Res_Display.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I use a laptop as my desktop.

The 17" screen is fine for me, but really only because the release of Linux that I use (Xubuntu) provides super easy to use and effective 'virtual desktops'. I generally keep 6 desktops open, each with their own grouping of stuff on them, and switch between them as I work. So an individual screen is not so cluttered.

But if I did want/need a bigger monitor, I can use an external one, and have the added area of the laptop as well.

And on rare occasions, I do just sleep the laptop, and take it with me, and all my apps and windows are open just like I left them, and I can get right to work away from home.

And, when I do upgrade, an older laptop is a very convenient second computer to have on hand. I use them as dedicated music players, and I had one tied up for weeks doing some video conversions and editing. Set it up on a table and let it do its thing w/o tying up your main daily computer.

It's just so much easier to do that with a small laptop, than to move and set up a desktop and monitor. Plus, you get built in UPS with the battery.

-ERD50

Yep, two desktops custom built by me, one 6 years old running a quad core processor, 4 GB RAM and Win 10. DW's is running Win 7. Both have nice 23" monitors. I keep them clean and fast.

I have a Chromebook for portable use, DW has and IPad.

Three laptops are paperweights in the closet.

I have a desktop and will probably have one as long as they make them.... I do not take my computer with me anywhere, so why get a laptop that does not do as much.... I do have a small tablet, but only play games and do some web surfing....

DW has an Ipad and a laptop... but laptop just sits on her desk... she uses her phone at times and when we are not at home...

DS has a desktop... he is doing CAD and needed the speed and extra memory and large monitor... uses his phone for everything else...

DD has a laptop, but probably does not use it much... DW insisted we get it for some reason... waste of money IMO.... she also has a small tablet that she uses to text etc.

Use a laptop as my desk computer. I did get a larger 21 inch desktop type screen, but still use the laptop for the keyboard and a mouse rather than the finger pad on laptop.

No desktops. I have MacBook laptop vintage 2008. Wife runs home photography business with newer MacBook Pro laptop.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I gave my desktop away a few years ago and never bought another. I have a laptop.

I suspect that laptops will be nearly extinct in just a few years as well. However, I love mine and don't intend to give up using a laptop any time soon.

Had only laptops for over 10 years, then Apple came out with a wowzer hi-res "retina 5K" 27 inch display with a built-in iMac, and we had to get it for our photo and video editing. DH is on it all the time.

Same here.

I have a desktop and just had my son build me a replacement, cause my current one started to sound funny. I think it is on its last leg. I will always have a desktop, I use it about once a day mainly for when I have typing to do (like this post) it is much easier with a regular, full size keyboard. But when I am out and about or even in the other room infront of the tv I will use my phone or ipad (mini), more convenient to do quick look ups or play a game, etc.

I still have and use a desktop computer. When it goes I'll probably replace it with a compute server and move the storage to a local Storage Area Network (SAN), and drive from a tablet with keypad.

Yes, my usage patterns very likely are atypical. :)

As an old-school PC gamer, I'll continue to keep a custom gaming rig and dual-monitor setup even though more & more is being done on my tablet & phone.

I still use a desktop. I prefer to work on spreadsheets and word documents with a full keyboard. My wife used a laptop, but it had a major crash and had to be reformatted. It now works but it's more of a brick. We lost a version of Office that Microsoft took down so we can't get a new copy loaded (still had the key). I'm not about to purchase a later version for a laptop that may still be flaky (have't really used it since Excel and Word were the main use). We'll likely get a new desktop if the old one goes. I can't see myself working on spreadsheets and big Word documents on an iPad without a full size keyboard and mouse.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Haven't used a desktop in 10+ years. It tied me to a distant room in the house. Have only used a laptop since then, mostly on my lap in the family room, sometimes on the kitchen table.

Back
Top Bottom