Dogs in Grocery Stores, Restaurants, Kitchens

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm active in a dog-training club that holds obedience, agility and other trials involving people and their canines. It's common knowledge in my circle that some stores, including Home Depot, make a point of allowing access to dogs. A number of club members use the store as an opportunity to socialize their dogs ... i.e., condition them to the presence of hustle, bustle, people they don't know, etc.

I've never used Home Depot for that purpose, since IMO most pet stores are better training venues, and they're nearly all pet-friendly. A dog is more likely to be distracted by basted beef bones than junction boxes and carpet swatches.

I have no idea why the execs at Home Depot chose to make their stores dog-friendly, but it apparently was an executive decision. Any I'm not saying all the people who bring the dogs into the stores are performing training exercises. I do know that some of my acquaintances have done that. Not that it may matter to people who dislike/are allergic to/get jumped on by dogs at Home Depot.

When we lived in Europe, we often saw dogs in restaurants where children were not allowed. Go figure.

Lena was volunteering at a local festival, working in the town hall kitchen. There are strict rules from the health department: Hairnets required, gloves, special equipment, etc.

Someone was holding her dog in her arms. Lena told her dogs weren't allowed, and the woman replied, "The dog is registered."

I've also I've seen dogs in grocery stores and restaurants more frequently than before.

So, the question: Is this a health problem?

PS I'm a dog lover.
Yes, of course. A bullying tribe of people feel that THEY can have their dogs wherever they want them, whenever they want them, because THEY are special and they don't give a crap if their dog gives you worms, or flea bites, or that you just don't like to have some dog at the dinner table. People in charge of venues are often too intimidated to do anything about it. Incidentally, did the dogs wear hairnets? I think they wash their hair quite a it less frequently than the suburban ladies who are the volunteer servers.

Ha

I

In a restaurant: Would you insist that a crying, screaming child or barking dog be removed or quieted? Which one would bother you more?

Both should be removed. But, if I had to choose one it would be the dog. A child is a human being. The dog is a lesser creature.

Now excuse me while I load up my BOOM-BOX with Acid Rock music and RAP! I use the LOUD music for emotional support otherwise I get funny around strangers. So I am going to bring it to the restaurant tonight when we go to dinner. Along with my chewing tobacco and spittoon which also help to calm me down.

I

In a restaurant: Would you insist that a crying, screaming child or barking dog be removed or quieted? Which one would bother you more?

Both should be removed. But, if I had to choose one to be removed it would be the dog. No contest. Not even close.

Google and other tech companies allow employees to bring their dogs to work, probably enforcing the idea that it is okay to take your pet everywhere. Fortunately, the CEO at my last employer had a fear of dogs, so no matter how often the employees asked for this perk, she never gave in.

btw, the genuine service dogs I've been familiar with (for the blind or deaf) all wear harnesses that clearly state "I am a working dog, don't pet me". They would never jump on anyone or shake or do anything unless and until their master gave them the go ahead first.

Believe it or not, back in the early days of our marriage my wife lost a good friend she had known since elementary school - 16+ years. We had invited her and her husband over for dinner, but we lived in a small condo. They asked if they could bring their two big dogs and we politely told them no because we simply did not have the space inside or out for one big dog much less two. A few hours later we got another telephone call and she told us they would not be coming because they did not want to leave their two dogs alone. It was clear she considered our polite refusal to be a grave insult. Future calls to them were never returned. So, 16 years of friendship down the drain over two dogs who supposedly can't be left alone for 4-6 hours max. As a kid our dog was often left alone for the entire day when our family was gone. It had a shelter, food, water and a place outside to run about. I guess modern dogs are must be real snowflakes.

As for as restaurants that allow dogs in (other than real service dogs), they can keep their food and I will keep my money.

Not a pet owner nor a dog/cat lover. I was mauled by a German Shepherd as a youngster, which left me with a mistrust of stranger's dogs. And if they growl or act aggressive, my instinct will be to protect myself.
It's seems we live in an era of selfies, emotional dependence and the constant need for attention. People bring their pets places because they like the attention they receive that makes them feel special, and have no regard for the preferences of others (in my opinion).
It's very strange to me to see how people humanize animals and treat them like children.
I guess it fills a need in their life somehow? But to each their own, just please keep them away from me. You wouldn't want the attention you would get from me! Haha

.................... I have never once seen a dog pee or poop or act badly in such a setting, at least not that I can remember.
I wish you'd been with me the other day in Home Depot where a dog on a long leash left a steaming pile right in the middle of the aisle. Fortunately I smelled it before I slipped in it. :mad:

Not a fan of dogs in grocery stores and restaurants.

As to children, the parents need to consider the other patrons. I never brought an infant of toddler to a fancy restaurant. There are (very noisy) places that cater to young children.

The few times that we went to a diner, we went off hours so the place was nearly empty, and we zipped in and out. If someone small started getting tired, we had an exit plan in place so as not to disturb the other diners: I would take out the one who was starting to fidget, while DH paid the bill.

Regarding taking small children grocery shopping, I stopped at three. I ran out of hands, however, my household had two parents, so one parent could stay home with the kiddos while the second went shopping. As far as babies not being brought to the grocery store, this does not take into account, poor, single parents who either don't have, or can't afford to pay, someone to watch their children. A dog can be left home alone: toddler can't be.

I never let my dogs approach others because you don’t know if they have a severe allergy, afraid of dogs , etc. I am deathly allergic to cats. If my dog made a mess somewhere I would clean it up.

I recently researched this very issue in my state after being in a coffee shop (where food is prepared and served) when a woman entered with her barking dog straining at the leash, whereupon the employees proceeded to ohh and ahh and make kissy noises. I didn't do anything about it, but I confirmed that it was illegal (unless it was a service animal, of course). Many people on the dog forums claim their dogs are more sanitary than humans, but regardless it's illegal in my area.

Service dogs can be literal lifesavers, but like so many things there will be a small population who abuse it. Service peacocks on airplanes, anyone?

Sorry to hear of so many who apparently are abusing the HD policy with badly behaved dogs or dogs who have owners without the common sense to make sure their dog "goes" before taking them to the store. My local Home Depots have always been welcoming to my therapy dogs and cats when they were in training to earn their certificates. I hope this policy remains in force, as HD is a great place to get them used to loud noses, odd looking (to an animal) moving vehicles (the lumber dept is the best for this) all while in the presence of often load talking strangers moving about, lifting items etc. All of this helps immensely in preparing the pets for the rigorous test they must pass so i can then take them to visit folks in hospice, nursing homes etc.

I was in a grocery store a few months ago when I noticed a women pushing a grocery shopping cart around with her Shih tzu sitting in the cart. At the checkout line, the young man bagging the groceries said to her that her dog was not supposed to be inside the cart. The woman said nothing and placed her dog on the ground, paid for her few items, and left. The young man leaned toward the cashier and said irritatedly, “People put their FOOD in there! Is she going to disinfect the cart? Of course not!” But the cashier simply shrugged like it wasn’t important. I thought about it a moment and realized the young man bagging the groceries was absolutely right.

Other than service dogs, who are harnessed and well labeled as such, I have never seen a dog in a grocery store, cafe or restaurant. They are not allowed unless they have an outside seating area, and some places, pubs in particular will advertise this. I don't have a problem with areas intended for dog owners and a couple of the local pubs here have outside covered areas with tables and chairs that are dog friendly.

Here's an anecdotal example of this phenomena.......

Our 24 yr old nephew in Minnesota recently got his 50 lb mutt registered as a service dog. His excuse? It provides "emotional comfort." I'm not aware of nephew ever having treatment for emotional issues or advertising himself as having emotional issues, but there he is with a service dog to help him through those tough, emotional times!

In reality, he admits he did it because it allowed him to bring his dog with him to his new apartment where dogs were otherwise not allowed. And, surprise-surprise, it allows him to bring the dog into restaurants and other public places. He doesn't like to leave the dog at home or in the car alone because it tends to be very destructive in those circumstances.

It seems that "service dog registration" is running into the same problem as "handicap parking medallions:" lotsa cheats and fakers.

Unless things have changed recently, service animals had to undergo strict training and are NEVER a problem in public-think seeing eye dogs for the blind. Every other animal that is "registered" or paper worked, is an emotional support animal. The (usually) bogus paperwork/registering comes with online registration and a small fee-sometimes requiring a Dr. note, sometimes not. No special training required.

Two years ago I interviewed a potential renter with a dog. She informed me that our "no pets policy" violated her civil rights (under ADA). I asked if it was a service animal or emotional support animal and asked to see her paperwork and Dr. note. She refused and told me she did not have to, legally. I called the legal hotline and was told there are rules under ADA and different rules under HUD regarding the animals. But the bottom line was that basically, she was correct. Also, landlords cannot raise the deposit on those animals-also a discrimination. Absolute crazyness.....

a couple of the local pubs here have outside covered areas with tables and chairs that are dog friendly.

There are some that don't restrict the dogs to outside areas.

We've stayed at this place in the Lake District a couple of times and it seemed as if nearly everyone had their dog with them. They advertise themselves as dog friendly, and most of their locally brewed beers have a dog-related name.

Watermill Inn

There are some that don't restrict the dogs to outside areas.

We've stayed at this place in the Lake District a couple of times and it seemed as if nearly everyone had their dog with them. They advertise themselves as dog friendly, and most of their locally brewed beers have a dog-related name.

Watermill Inn

Sorry, I should have been more specific. When I said "here", I did not mean the whole country, I meant the town where I live. I believe the issue is regulated by local authorities not by central government.

Ditto in the dog poo/pee thread when I said that there are special dog poo trash cans scattered throughout the town. That may not be case everywhere else in England.

ETA
I did look up that inn's website and it says the lounge bar is a non dog-owner area, so at least they do make accommodation for both.

Last edited:
I admit I don't get out much but here in small town Wisconsin I have never seen a dog in a restaurant or store(thankfully). True service dogs are well trained and not a problem in public places. I don't know of any reason a 'therapy animal' should be a thing but if it is then it should have to be well trained as well to qualify.

"Shoulds" are marvelous things, and much more easily attained than "ares".

Ha

Unless it's a Seeing Eye dog, where the cost is subsidized by the foundation, a genuine trained service dog can be very expensive.

One of my work friends got a trained, certified therapy dog for her nonverbal autistic son. The dog's main job was to comfort/steady the son and keep the son from bolting, as people with his form of autism are prone to do. The dog cost $16,000.00 (not covered by insurance, but the couple are very well-off). Part of that was for the "handler" who came with the dog, for the first month or so, to ensure the dog and child acclimated to one another.

Somehow I doubt most so-called "therapy dogs" have much training. People couldn't afford them.

I admit I don't get out much but here in small town Wisconsin I have never seen a dog in a restaurant or store(thankfully). True service dogs are well trained and not a problem in public places. I don't know of any reason a 'therapy animal' should be a thing but if it is then it should have to be well trained as well to qualify.

Unless it's a Seeing Eye dog, where the cost is subsidized by the foundation, a genuine trained service dog can be very expensive.

One of my work friends got a trained, certified therapy dog for her nonverbal autistic son. The dog's main job was to comfort/steady the son and keep the son from bolting, as people with his form of autism are prone to do. The dog cost $16,000.00 (not covered by insurance, but the couple are very well-off). Part of that was for the "handler" who came with the dog, for the first month or so, to ensure the dog and child acclimated to one another.

Somehow I doubt most so-called "therapy dogs" have much training. People couldn't afford them.
+1 I worked with a guy who left IT to be a service dog trainer. I was shocked by the cost of these animals.

I live in a very dog friendly area and there's no one, here, taking fake dogs into places. There's restaurants that allow dogs outside, not inside. The grocery store has signs welcoming those who need service animals. The only one I've ever seen was a sight disabled person used his dog to get from his vehicle to the store.

I feel badly you all live with so many selfish people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom