Done with Bogleheads ... it's a cult

A BH poster I used to always enjoy was Mr Muffin Man. Or something similar to that. He had some funny shtick. No idea if he’s still there or not.

A BH poster I used to always enjoy was Mr Muffin Man. Or something similar to that. He had some funny shtick. No idea if he’s still there or not.

He called himself The Muffin Man IIRC. A lot of people found his posting style to be super annoying, I thought the guy was interesting and enjoyed how he talked about himself in the 3rd person. He just up and disappeared several years ago. I miss him.

I never had a budget. I never needed one, I bought what I needed and saved what I didn't spend. Seemed like a lot of work for simple common sense spending. Same applies to an ISP. The only ISP I have is my internet service provider and my Investment and Savings Plan (what the 401k is called at former employer).

If you really want to see a Forum with a cult following check out Mr Money Mustache Forum. I find that Forum very entertaining. Even there I often learn something I did not know.

He called himself The Muffin Man IIRC. A lot of people found his posting style to be super annoying, I thought the guy was interesting and enjoyed how he talked about himself in the 3rd person. He just up and disappeared several years ago. I miss him.).

Yeah, that’s the guy. I thought his 3rd person references and stories were very funny. Sorry to hear he’s gone.

He was called The Munchkin Man. His writing style was unique. He hasn't posted on BH since 2013.

Munchkin Man was great.
He had some sort of medical condition, so I assumed he passed away back a while.
I did manage to visit his highly recommended Thai restaurant in Las Vegas a few years ago...

Munchkin Man was great.
He had some sort of medical condition, so I assumed he passed away back a while.
I did manage to visit his highly recommended Thai restaurant in Las Vegas a few years ago...

He stopped posting in 2013. There have been a few "whatever happened to..." threads over on BH about a number of posters who have disappeared and the conclusion there is that he likely passed away.

If you really want to see a Forum with a cult following check out Mr Money Mustache Forum. I find that Forum very entertaining. Even there I often learn something I did not know.

I really don't like all the political talk over there. I've seen them ban people just because their political beliefs don't align with the far left slant of the forum. Definitely prefer this one.

I really don't like all the political talk over there. I've seen them ban people just because their political beliefs don't align with the far left slant of the forum. Definitely prefer this one.

Maybe it gets political, probably no more than here, but forum.mrmoneymustache.com is the place to learn how to squeeze the proverbial Buffalo off the nickel. It is, arguably, stronger than this forum for those who, like me, have downshifted to semi-retirement, side gigs and hustles, rental home ownership and are still interested to earn a few clams.

To me, MMM is the place for frugality tips and frugality lifestyle, BH is the place where generally well-healed folks discuss markets and extoll the minutia of Vanguard index fund investing, and ER Forum is more well-rounded, in my experience and opinion.

It looks like the mmm forum moderators try to direct political discussions into an “Off Topic” thread but I can’t say how successful they are.

I spent a week with Pete, aka Mr. Money Mustache, other bloggers and many others in Ecuador in 2014 at a retreat where everyone compared FIRE notes and learned. He’s a fine person, well-intentioned and creative and is completely tongue-in-cheek about how various FIRE discussions, including his own genre, can seem cultish. I think his blog (which is different than the forum, which other people moderate) even says, “Join the Cult!” He’s kidding. Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:
Bogleheads is a forum set up to discuss low cost index funds. I don't see that as a cult any more than a forum set up to talk about Ford's not being receptive to discussions about Chevys.

I'd rather be active here.
Thanks to ER moderator.
And off course to the fellow members, too.

And there are several VERY REPITITOUS posters who are extremely annoying.
I ignore all the IPS and 3 fund stuff and just move on. I find a lot of good stuff on the consumer forum. However, there are some techies there that will grind you into the ground with their repetition and winner-take-all attitude. I've learned to just eject from those threads when they show up.

I don't think ERD50 or NW-Bound would even have a chance against them. :LOL: Love you guys, just pulling your leg. (This joking last sentence would cause an automatic deletion of my post on BH and probably a trip to the penalty box. They don't like humor if it is directed at anyone, even in a friendly way.)

I've never spent much time at BH. I mostly only go there when someone links to some info from here, and have seen some very good threads based on that. I have spent some time at their wiki pages, some were quite good IIRC.

Otherwise, just perusing their forum, I don't recall finding it very interesting/diverse. Maybe I would change my view if I spent more time there, but based on comments here, I doubt it.

But I'll have to look again at their consumer and tech threads that were mentioned, Might be some gold there?

-ERD50

Last edited:
...However, there are some techies there that will grind you into the ground with their repetition and winner-take-all attitude. ....

It has been my experience that when two posters go at it hammer and tongs, each trying to "win" the argument, it soon becomes tiresome for everyone else. Most of the useful information will be in the first 2 or 3 posts. I think it is better that we strive to be useful to each other. Correct information is important, of course, and I regret it when I botch something, but providing better/more correct information is not the same as seeking the righteous triumph that some occasionally seem to want. I'm glad that is not prevalent here; I wouldn't enjoy a forum where it was.

Maybe it gets political, probably no more than here, but forum.mrmoneymustache.com is the place to learn how to squeeze the proverbial Buffalo off the nickel. It is, arguably, stronger than this forum for those who, like me, have downshifted to semi-retirement, side gigs and hustles, rental home ownership and are still interested to earn a few clams.

To me, MMM is the place for frugality tips and frugality lifestyle, BH is the place where generally well-healed folks discuss markets and extoll the minutia of Vanguard index fund investing, and ER Forum is more well-rounded, in my experience and opinion.

It looks like the mmm forum moderators try to direct political discussions into an “Off Topic” thread but I can’t say how successful they are.

I spent a week with Pete, aka Mr. Money Mustache, other bloggers and many others in Ecuador in 2014 at a retreat where everyone compared FIRE notes and learned. He’s a fine person, well-intentioned and creative and is completely tongue-in-cheek about how various FIRE discussions, including his own genre, can seem cultish. I think his blog (which is different than the forum, which other people moderate) even says, “Join the Cult!” He’s kidding. Different strokes for different folks.

I definitely find MMM posts and forum entertaining, but rarely visit anymore, as I always feel so guilty afterwards at all the stuff I'm not doing or doing that could be saving me money like these thrifty folks. I live modestly, but I'm also in suburbia in a disgustingly humid climate. Ditching the car and walking 2 miles to grocery shop? Only if I want all perishables spoiled by the time I get back. Biking? Only if I want to risk my life against angry texting drivers. So much of what they do is not realistic for me.

I don't think ERD50 or NW-Bound would even have a chance against them. :LOL: Love you guys, just pulling your leg. (This joking last sentence would cause an automatic deletion of my post on BH and probably a trip to the penalty box. They don't like humor if it is directed at anyone, even in a friendly way.)

Eh, as I said in my earlier post on this thread, you don't barge into a place of worship like a church, a synagogue, a temple, and question people's belief.

What's the point, and what you are trying to prove?

And as mentioned, I went there many years ago upon learning about it from this FIRE forum, looked around for an hour or so, and left without registering, let alone posting. The forum was humorless! People have their sphincters clenched tight over there.

Last edited:
Why would anyone go to BH and ask about individual stock investing other than to stir the pot? I don't go on the BMW website and ask about Mercs.

I was the idiot that invested in 32 different funds in my 401k. I was in all the target date funds they had. I was also trading options with no clue what I was doing. I consistently bought high and sold low. Purely an emotional investor.

BH set me on a good path to investing for me. I would say BH investing and ER retirement planning are what made it possible to retire last year without freaking out.

I did get banned once and had a few warnings and many posts deleted. Now I just monitor for threads that might be helpful. Not many these days having been on there for 8 years.

What does your IPS say?

"An Investment policy statement (IPS) is a statement that defines general investment goals and objectives. It describes the strategies that will be used to meet these objectives and contains specific information on subjects such as asset allocation, risk tolerance, and liquidity requirements."

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement

Not a bad idea, especially if you're prone to reacting to market noise.
Well done, tulak. One could also search investing IPS. https://www.investopedia.com/terms/i/ips.asp

I reference an IPS in my Instructions to Heirs. The documents inform those who remain what you were doing, why, and of course, "Good luck if you want to try something different."

These documents were two important takeaways from my time on Bogleheads.

I haven't seen any restrictions there on posting about individual bonds. There is lots of talk about ibonds in particular.

I’m tempted to poke the bear by posting “if individual bonds are bad, I’m sure Vanguard would not let me buy them” but I guess that would make me a troll.

It has been my experience that when two posters go at it hammer and tongs, each trying to "win" the argument, it soon becomes tiresome for everyone else. Most of the useful information will be in the first 2 or 3 posts. I think it is better that we strive to be useful to each other. Correct information is important, of course, and I regret it when I botch something, but providing better/more correct information is not the same as seeking the righteous triumph that some occasionally seem to want. I'm glad that is not prevalent here; I wouldn't enjoy a forum where it was.

Yes, agree. We have our moments here. But they are moments. Over there, it is sport. Fortunately, most threads aren't like that there, but the percentage of "dueling discussion threads" is higher than here.

Well done, tulak. One could also search investing IPS. https://www.investopedia.com/terms/i/ips.asp

I reference an IPS in my Instructions to Heirs. The documents inform those who remain what you were doing, why, and of course, "Good luck if you want to try something different."

These documents were two important takeaways from my time on Bogleheads.

Pretty much sums it up. I think many on BH consider it to be a "contract to yourself" with the idea being that before you go off and do something rash, that you at least look at it first. Meh. Contracts with yourself are easily broken. :LOL:

For me, it's mainly to document what I do, why I do it, and details about exactly how I go about doing what I do. And then there's an entire section of "if you don't like what I've been doing, then here's a simpler way". For me, this is primarily a document for my family should I predecease.

Cheers.

Why would anyone go to BH and ask about individual stock investing other than to stir the pot? I don't go on the BMW website and ask about Mercs.

Usually they do it because
1. They didn't read the wiki first to understand the underpinnings of BH before posting
2. They get a rush from arguing

I haven't seen any restrictions there on posting about individual bonds. There is lots of talk about ibonds in particular.

From my experience it was the members, not the board that was upset about individual bond discussions. It was deemed too “risky.”

Back
Top Bottom