Dressing for "winter"

Love the story. Reminds me of a Hawaiian I met my first semester of college in Helena Montana. The temp had dipped to about -30 (not including windchill) before Christmas break. I never saw Harry after that semester...

Rice apparently bought her explanation of why she got a "1" on the AP Calculus exam

Ouch. May want to keep that a secret from fellow engineers. Guess she'll have fun in Calc 101 freshman year... :D

(said by a fellow engineer that didn't take any math in college due to "higher than 1's" on a bunch of AP classes).

I think a ski jacket would be a practical winter coat in Houston and for trips elsewhere "on the mainland". That plus a cap and scarf, pair of gloves. This advice from someone who has never visited TX except to change planes in Dallas. I will rectify this next month when I visit old friends in Houston for a week so I'm happy to hear it is warm there now. I have a cousin who has lived in HI since the early 70's. His daughter went to college in Idaho for one semester but transferred back to UH after that. I'm not sure why as the family took ski vacations regularly so she knew about snow and cold weather presumably.

Ouch. May want to keep that a secret from fellow engineers. Guess she'll have fun in Calc 101 freshman year... :D
I am virtually certain that at least 50% of the freshmen Rice students in Calc 101 probably took the AP Calculus exam in high school and did not do well on it.

Attachments

• nod.jpg
    nod.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 11

(said by a fellow engineer that didn't take any math in college due to "higher than 1's" on a bunch of AP classes).

I do not see that any high school kid could have had Partial Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Laplace, Fourier and Z transforms, Maxwell's Equations, Real and Complex Analysis, Galois Theory, Stochastic Process, etc...

Perhaps these materials are integrated into engineering courses, but they all look like math to me.

I do not see that any high school kid could have had Partial Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Laplace, Fourier and Z transforms, Maxwell's Equations, Real and Complex Analysis, Galois Theory, Stochastic Process, etc...

Perhaps these materials are integrated into engineering courses, but they all look like math to me.

Had most of that in high school. Never heard of some of that thank goodness (Galois Theory??). Linear algebra was optional for us civil engineers (didn't take it). I guess you could say I was an advanced student in high school at a pretty good school. You should have seen what the smart really advanced kids were getting into.

In truth I did take a 1 credit hour class in college that was labeled with the MA prefix to denote being a math class but was probably more properly a computer science class since it was only focused on computer modeling of different phenomena. In fact it was taught by faculty from the comp sci department.

Here's an interesting challenge which no doubt you winterized posters will find hugely entertaining.

OK, I've held up long enough:

Using Houston and winter in the same sentence is an oxymoron!

I talked to a friend (who hales from here) in Houston, asked him about winter clothing. Response was shorts, t-shirt and sandals.

Had most of that in high school. Never heard of some of that thank goodness (Galois Theory??). Linear algebra was optional for us civil engineers (didn't take it). I guess you could say I was an advanced student in high school at a pretty good school. You should have seen what the smart really advanced kids were getting into.

Wow, I am impressed. Search the Web for Rudin's textbooks, and tell me if they use that in HS. You can tell that my kids were not that advanced. And even though I thought I was pretty good in math, none of the topics I listed would be within grasp of myself and my peers, back when I was in HS. Indeed, these were material for at least the 2nd half of the sophomore year, more like junior level and going up to graduate level.

PS. Galois Theory has applications in Error Correcting Codes. I had it as a senior level class. Yes, very few EEs even learn about Error Correcting Codes. Stochastic Process was a graduate level class and a prerequisite to learning about Stochastic Optimal Control and Estimation. Linear Algebra was used in Linear (of course!) Control Theory, also a senior to graduate level class. I believe these are still current research topics, but that gets deeper than what I learned 30 years ago.

PPS. Real Analysis is not Calculus. If a textbook shows graphs and curves, it is Calculus. Real Analysis is at a higher abstract level, and all undergraduate engineers I have known, and indeed even most at Master level have not had exposure to it.

When my kids (smart enough but not genius smart) went to college, they were advised to take the college classes for their majors even if they had AP'd out of them. Their high school counselor's theory was that the AP classes looked good on the transcripts when applying to college but they might not be on the same page as the rest of the students in their majors if they didn't take all the classes. This strategy would not be true for genius smart kids, of course.

When my kids (smart enough but not genius smart) went to college, they were advised to take the college classes for their majors even if they had AP'd out of them. Their high school counselor's theory was that the AP classes looked good on the transcripts when applying to college but they might not be on the same page as the rest of the students in their majors if they didn't take all the classes. This strategy would not be true for genius smart kids, of course.

I guess all schools are different, but I found the AP classes and college level classes beyond AP taught at my high school to be much more academically rigorous and in depth than the analogous college courses. For one thing, we had 45 minutes of class 5 days a week for 2 semesters in HS, vs 50 minute classes 3 days a week for 1 semester in college. Just way more instructional time in HS.

Could also be due to having the smart kids who generally apply themselves in the HS versions, whereas the college classes are full of average students who are just coasting through the course hoping to pass it to fill a prerequisite slot.

... in Houston, asked him about winter clothing. Response was shorts, t-shirt and sandals.
Thanks for the confirmation.

I tried to find a live web cam in a Houston ZIP code that showed how pedestrians are dressed.

EarthCam - Houston Cam has some cameras very close to Rice U, but not many night time pedestrians. But the last 24 hours are archived.

Spouse pointed out to me today that we have absolutely no cold-weather tolerance. What a typical Houstonite would find comfortable weather for t-shirts & shorts would probably leave us Hawaii residents curled up in a foetal ball in the corner...

Notre Dame has a big Hawaii club. I don't know how those guys adapt to the weather, especially when they can spend a couple weeks in tropical paradise over the holidays and then have to return to the Dark Ages.

Houston is just is not a walking city it seems with the exception being the Clear Lake area around NASA. Well, it isn't D.C. or even Chicago who are walkable cities anyway.

I never found the area around Clear Lake nor NASA "walkable". Rice is next to the museum district (see map), so one can walk from Rice to museums + zoo and to the Village next to campus where there are hundreds of stores/restaurants. I'm sure Nords & family were there when they visited Rice.

Maybe some Houstonians can comment about places in/around Houston that could be worthy of being called "walkable". Maybe The Strand in Galveston, but certainly not the beaches. The Woodlands has a Riverwalk, but that's a bit pretentious for a muddy man-made bayou.

Maybe some Houstonians can comment about places in/around Houston that could be worthy of being called "walkable". Maybe The Strand in Galveston, but certainly not the beaches. The Woodlands has a Riverwalk, but that's a bit pretentious for a muddy man-made bayou.
As a former Houstonian, I would suggest that the Montrose area is fairly walkable. River Oaks isn't too bad either, but I suspect Montrose is better in that regard.

I agree w/ W2R that if she buys stuff she's not that into it will be wasted. You all are so well planned ahead w/ 11 months to go!

Other than that, she'll want to find what the locals are wearing as that can vary from region to region...DC would be dark grey or black wool coats, Northern CA would be north face gear etc etc...the stuff from home may not work and would just be wasted packing space anyway.

When my kid was a toddler we ventured to NYC in Feb and we didn't pester her to wear her gloves. We'd just roll the stroller outside, she'd feel the cold and stick her hands up in the air for us to put them on :cool:...

As a former Houstonian, I would suggest that the Montrose area is fairly walkable. River Oaks isn't too bad either, but I suspect Montrose is better in that regard.
I used to rent a house near the corner of Montrose and Alabama. It would be rare to find a heterosexual couple in the laundromat.

I used to rent a house near the corner of Montrose and Alabama. It would be rare to find a heterosexual couple in the laundromat.
I said it was walkable, not that it was a good place for single heterosexuals to meet potential partners.... :cool:

After living in London and New York for short stints... and being in Chicago a few times... I know what 'walkable' means to me... Houston does not have it...

As an example... I did NOT need a car in either location where I lived... I walked to the grocery store... I walked to the movies, I walked to the subway to get to another location where I would walk to whatever...

Here in Houston, you drive to the store to buy your groceries, you drive to the mall to buy your other things, or you drive to Wally World or Target etc..

Yes, the village is 'walkable'... and there is a section along Alabama and Shephard that you might 'walk', but you normally have to drive to get there... the Galleria is walkable... but even then, most people go to the mall and walk inside... getting from there to one of the other places around there can be dangerous...

OHH, almost forgot downtown.... now that is walkable... either on the surface or in the tunnels...

SOrry, I'm still laughing about Houston being "cold."

LOL!: Go down to Clear Lake some Friday or Saturday night and you'll see alot of folks just walking. Pretty safe down there.
Montrose? In the day, yes. At night, no way, Ray! I like to live.

I agree that the Rice area is pretty safe, and walking thru West University will be. But Houston is too spread apart with little public transportation to speak of, so it discourages walkability. People drive to where they want to go there instead of subway-ing it like in DC, Chicago, NYC, etc. Again, I disagree that Houston is a walkable city IMHO.

Here, this should settle it: Houston #26
http://www.walkscore.com/rankings/most-walkable-cities.php

Back
Top Bottom