Driving

[rant mode on]

Way back in 1975 when I earned my private pilot's license one of the things that struck me was that flying an airplane (at least a small single-engine one in good weather) is not any harder than driving a car. Most of the time it is easier. For sure it is (for me anyway) easier and even more relaxing than say I-495, the Washington Beltway.

That's not to say that one can take naps, but it doesn't require the stressful hypervigilance that driving at speed in heavy traffic does. But boy, the hoops I had to jump through to get that license! And every two years, a medical check and a check ride with an instructor. And if I screwed up and violated any FAA regulations chances were very good to excellent that I'd have my license at least suspended if not revoked. And if I could get insurance at all after that, the premiums would be astronomical.

So naturally it occurs to me that the world would be a better place if one had to be just as qualified at driving a car as one has to be to fly a light airplane. To my knowledge the only country that comes close to that is Germany, where it takes some work to earn, and keep, a driver's license. You have to really want and need it, and it's not cheap either.

And I can hear the whiners now - "I've been driving since 1950 and never had an accident!" That's wonderful. Then you won't have any trouble at all proving how great you are and easily passing a driver's test.

"It'll cost too much time and money!" Oh really? How much time and money does it cost to arrange an early funeral for the people the other drivers killed?

One little tidbit of data I learned along the way is that traffic law violations cause more deaths, more injuries, more economic loss from people being killed or out of work recovering from injuries, and more property damage, than all other classes of crime combined! To my knowledge that is still true.

So I do not think for one second that it would cost too much time and money. The problem now is that it doesn't cost enough to get and keep a driver's license.
And yet the population and the courts treat traffic violations as a minor annoyance because we all think we have a God-given and Constitutional right to drive a car whenever and wherever and however we want. (Actually, you don't. You have a right to travel, which is not the same thing. Walking didn't hurt our ancestors a bit.) Another hint: If you want to kill someone, do it with a car. To make it more credible, do it while drunk, that way, according to your attorney anyway, you're the victim of a disease and it's "not your fault". Chances are excellent that you'll never see the inside of a jail cell, let alone a prison. And the fine, if any, will be a joke and certainly less than the cost of the funeral for the guy you killed.

About the second time I had to knock on somebody's door and tell whoever answered that a family member was not coming home, ever, I lost any sympathy I might once have had for traffic violators. I'll admit I was a bit of a hardass for that reason. One time that person was an 18-year-old girl who answered the door. Her parents were out vacationing in Ocean City. "Sorry honey, your 15-year-old brother was DOA at the scene. Let Mom & Dad know, okay? BTW, welcome to adulthood". Okay, I wasn't near that harsh but that was the bottom line.

And some will ask, "Why don't the police enforce the traffic laws?" Well, they do as much as they are able to. At least they did where I worked. But traffic law enforcement was about 10% of what I did because I didn't have time to do any more. And yet the courtroom was packed at 9:00 AM every day there was traffic court so someone was writing a lot of tickets. But even the guys in the traffic section, who focused exclusively on traffic law enforcement, said it was like trying to bail out the ocean with a thimble.

And it's going to stay that way until the majority of the population decides that they've had enough of the killing and maiming and insists that the price of a traffic ticket rises to the point where it becomes a major financial hit instead of an irritation. One of the things Germany does (or I think they do) is base traffic fines on a person's income and they make the fines high enough that it hurts. That's terrific! If it was going to cost you 10% of your annual income to run a stop sign you'd think twice before doing it.

I could go on but you get the idea.

[rant mode off]

Mopar or No Car...:cool: Car-Guy what year is your Challenger?
2021 Oh, and it's Gray.... How about yours?

And I keep it out of heavy traffic areas whenever possible. That's no fun.

Last edited:
Cool beans. 2020 6.4L Indigo Blue/Black interior. DW loves her heated seat but will only drive it in ECO mode.

As a side note, I'm going to need new tires soon, (looking at Nitto's for the rear), so before that, it's time to try out the Line Lock. That should be "smokin" :). I hope to have a friend take a video of the launch which will be a first for me using line lock. I hope I never get so old that I don't/won't enjoy these cars.

Last edited:
I think it's great you need to replace your rear tires. Let me know how the line lock works for ya. May as well do donuts and burnouts for distance like the Roadkill guys. :greetings10:

Great rant! Your points are very well taken, IMO.

+1
There are other European countries with similarly strict requirements. Mandatory course at a registered driving school, tough written exam, comprehensive driving test, etc. Spending thousands to obtain your first license means that people take it seriously.

Of course, one big difference is that those requirements are national while ours are different for each state. Germany is about the size of Montana, but rather more densely populated. :D

[rant mode on]

[rant mode off]

+1

European countries treat driving as a privilege. Here in the US, we look at it as a birthright.

Last edited:
Great rant! Your points are very well taken, IMO.

+1
I would also like to see those that drive a car to have to spend a year on a motorcycle for their transportation. They might become better drivers, develop some curtesy for other drivers, and have a better appreciation for the rules of the road.

Cheers!

From chatGPT: According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2020, there were 38,680 deaths in motor vehicle crashes in the United States. Additionally, the NHTSA estimates that there were around 4.8 million people injured in motor vehicle crashes in 2020.

Imagine the outrage if this many were killed or injured in airline accidents per year !

I went through an area the other day where someone was killed a few months ago. She was an elderly woman who was lost. In any case, when she got back on the unrestricted highway, which was three lanes wide. She only crossed one lane and proceeded down the road in the wrong lane, driving into oncoming traffic. I think she was involved with three vehicles before her vehicle was stopped.

Looking at in daylight, it's obvious what she thought. At night, you can see the painted lane marking, but absolutely nothing to indicate there's another lane, and you're not going the right direction.

That's not a rant Walt. That's a strongly held opinion, and I couldn't agree with it more. The drive test should be a lot harder.

I took my test in Los Angeles in 1987. At the time, I was pleasantly surprised at how brief and easy it was. Looking back, I am now shocked. In the UK, where I grew up, the test lasted an hour and, from what I heard from friends, could be guaranteed to include a number of maneuvers, such as 3-point turns, and parallel parking. It was fairly common for people to fail, and to keep retaking it until they passed. Perhaps drive tests in other cities and states are a bit harder, but my test lasted 15-20 minutes, and consisted of turning left, turning right, changing lanes a few times, and that was about it. No parallel parking, no 3-point turns. As we returned to the DMV, the examiner told me that at one time, I had turned left when he told me to turn right, but that he was going to pass me anyway. The test was very easy. I sure hope my test was the exception rather than the rule, but I somehow doubt it.

Then I moved to Nevada for 3 years, where I earned my motorcycle endorsement. I took the test on a Vespa scooter, which made some of the maneuvers easier. They still gave me a motorcycle endorsement though.

Like Walt, I too think that driving should be treated as a privilege and not a right.

Last edited:
I used to be a speeder on long drives, and a pusher on the freeway, coming up fast behind left-lane campers, trying to get them to move the #@%& over!

I mellowed some, sold my radar detector, and these days sometimes feel a little anxiety if I know I must drive on the freeway, as traffic is so terrible now in the Seattle area. But once I get on I'm fine and rather enjoy the required focus—assuming that traffic is moving.

I'm hoping that self-driving cars continue to improve so that if I ever need to stop driving I can still get around town at least.

I do not think more testing and raising the price of tickets will have as much impact as getting serious about DUI activity. True, the DUI factor in auto accidents has decreased over the years, it is still very high. IMHO we send mixed signals about supporting drinking (to the point of liquor stores being deemed "essential business" during the pandemic) and legalizing pot, and then wonder why there are still so many DUI situations.

I think the traffic courts go easy because those passing judgement take a "well, I drink, and if I was in that situation I would hope someone would take it easy on me, so I'll do the same" approach. If I were king I would put alcohol and marijuana as equivalent to drugs and fentanyl in crimes and traffic violations.

You see a lot about people being "too old" to drive, and the concern for older drivers out there. But in reality the statistics show the case of accidents is much, much more likely to be someone in their 20s under the influence.

I apply this to myself. I rarely drink, and I *never* drink at social occasions where I am (or may have to) drive. Even at home, where one might feel fine drinking because one is staying home, a couple of times I have been called out late at night to help a friend or family member - that taught me even then to be careful. We have told our children not not drink and drive, and if they are ever arrested for a DUI violation mom and dad are *not* going the "but they are a good kid" route, and they will have to deal with whatever law enforcement and the courts deem the punishment is. One of our sons tested that and found it out - fortunately it snapped him back into reality.

If one complains about driving, one has to consider this factor. When I see drivers weaving in and out of traffic, going 20-30 miles over the limit, I assume some type of "influence" is involved. Alcohol tends to embolden one at the worst times.

Sometimes I drive during the week - at lunch time - for the entertainment value. Grin. PLUS I get to exercise my vocabulary of profanity - behind the wheel my myself. Very refreshing. Brings back memories of ancient times - ie. WORK!!!

Heh heh heh - :D :LOL: :LOL: :cool: :facepalm: ER'd Jan . 1993.

We had a safe driver course every two years where I retired from as half of us drove company vehicles daily. The course included a driving and written test. It was rather helpful. I used to really enjoy driving. Now I think the roads are filled with a bunch of inconsiderate nutcases. I’ve lived and driven in the San Francisco Bay Area, Houston, Seattle and driven in numerous other large cities. It always seemed to be a free for all, but now it is even worst. We take our time now and stay off the interstate to get across town even if it takes us a little longer. I’ve had people yelling at me because I wait for clear traffic to make a right turn on red, yell and scream at me waiting for oncoming traffic before making a left turn at a signal. I maybe over cautious, but I don’t want to get slammed into. I hate the people that make a right turn into traffic just because the right lane is clear, but for some reason have to floor it and move into the next lane. Or the person that needs to start their left turn just as you get to them and your not sure if they will slam into you. The list goes on. It seems like drivers these days only think of themselves and nobody else.

Just a suggestion here. Long ago I had a summer job driving a phone company truck, and they gave us a two day driving school using the Smith System. I thought it was great, and I still use those techniques today.

I wasn't going to post in this thread but I changed my mind.
I'm 73 and have been driving since around age 14 in central Kansas.
There can be a problem if you drive most of the time in sparsely populated areas and then drive to a big city. Navigation apps can help with unfamiliar roads in the big city, but they won't help with poor driving habits involving mirrors, turn signals, and proper speed.

Now I've been mostly in the greater Boston area since 1968 or so and I have to say that driving habits are JUST FINE around here most of the time, contrary to some reports.
Things get busy during commuting hours same as everywhere, no surprise. But I'm ten years retired, so I work around that where possible.

Typically, I'll take the Mustang when I'm out and about, rather than the F-150, unless I need to haul something.
Regardless, I use all three mirrors in whichever vehicle I'm driving and I use my turn signals for turns and lane changes.

Regarding lane changes, I activate my turn signal as I START my lane change, not three seconds prior.

I use cruise control on highways and drive at the prevailing speed or a bit less, regardless of what's posted.

So I have zero complaints about other drivers 98% of the time...

Just a suggestion here. Long ago I had a summer job driving a phone company truck, and they gave us a two day driving school using the Smith System. I thought it was great, and I still use those techniques today.

Years ago, I took the Smith System course. That's the way I drive today. My 16 year old step grandson just got his license last week and I had him look this system over and talked with him about the way these truck drivers drive.

My driving test in 1978 was laughably easy. The Motorcycle test was even easier. At least for bikes the tests have become harder over the years.

As far as driving... as with most I go with the flow, but yes you will find me going 80 in the left lane on the interstate.. sometimes a bit faster if others are going faster. I do move over as soon as I pass other cars though, I do not camp in the left lane.

Signals... I always turn them on a second or two before I make my lane change letting those around me know my intention, and I avoid being in anyone's blind spot, or tailgating. Defensively if I see someone camping in my blind spot I will either speed up or slow down, or change lanes. Because if I forget they are there and move over, its wont be pretty.

Looking the Smith system over, seems I had developed that method without knowing about it, over the years. Regarding #4, I find drivers often move into the space, not too big a hassle.
Besides, last ten years or so I have not had any reason to be in the hurry, driving or otherwise.

I definitely don't agree with the post about how it should cost more to get a driver's license. Being poor shouldn't be a barrier to driving. There should be more stringent testing required to be sure people have the skills to drive but it shouldn't cost people more money. It may cost the state more money for the extra testing but that should come from the common fund or be means tested so it doesn't preclude poor people from driving if they have the needed skills.

I definitely don't agree with the post about how it should cost more to get a driver's license. Being poor shouldn't be a barrier to driving.

Going back to the example of Germany, the cost of a license is only a small fraction of the cost of a decent used car. Vehicle inspections are incredibly strict and naturally raise the cost of cars since anything with defects is not allowed on the road. Also, your license is issued for life over there.

There are also excellent intercity train lines and bus/subway/tram lines in most towns. So there are many reasons why their system has never been implemented here. People in Germany just don't travel around as much as we do. I once had a friend who lived in Frankfurt until he was in his 30s. I asked if he had ever been to the Oktoberfest in Munich, and he said "Oh, no. That's much too far." (It's less than 250 miles).

Back
Top Bottom