Road Rage Uptick

Status
Not open for further replies.
This happens to me very often -- minus the "Contact with sheet metal*". I like to coast it to lights, and sometimes, uphill, I can get it down to zero right at the light.

This does not please people behind me. They apparently are love with "Contact of brake linings on steel rotors." Gotta generate the heat, baby. Hit those brakes hard!

I'd be annoyed too. Drivers that coast are blocking traffic. As a driver you have the responsibility to maintain the flow.

In between those who drive too fast or too slow there is the 80% - 90% who drive at relatively similar speeds. Don't be one of the extremes.

I'd be annoyed too. Drivers that coast are blocking traffic. As a driver you have the responsibility to maintain the flow.

In between those who drive too fast or too slow there is the 80% - 90% who drive at relatively similar speeds. Don't be one of the extremes.

I would disagree. There is a red light ahead. Why would anyone be burning "more" gas just to get to red light faster? And if driver behind is not paying attention to lights ahead.. thats on him/her.

What's the rush? The light just turned red. We're all going to stop anyway.

I would disagree. There is a red light ahead. Why would anyone be burning "more" gas just to get to red light faster? And if driver behind is not paying attention to lights ahead.. thats on him/her.

Exactly. I just shake my head and say "congratulations, you got to the red light first". I always coast up to a red light as it saves gas and brakes and doesn't change the fact I will still stop at the light. Staying on the gas then hitting the brakes hard to stop makes no sense at all.

The jokers rushing to park at the Red Light are amusing. See it often enough. I usually make note: Yep, their brakes worked. Unnecessarily hard.

The jokers rushing to park at the Red Light are amusing.

I agree it makes no sense, but I think the main reason is that they are afraid you will be off to a slow start when the light turns green and they don't want to be behind you then. They need to make that jackrabbit start so they can hopefully beat the next light. I just shake my head and think about how very seldom I need brake work.

Somwhere I read a story from an old long haul trucker; No matter how fast you go, no matter how many cars, trucks you pass, there will always be another one in front of you, or be parked at the next traffic light.

lol I brake for tailgaters. I agree with others - let off the gas when there's a red light just ahead.

lol I brake for tailgaters. I agree with others - let off the gas when there's a red light just ahead.

A red light just ahead, sure, that's normal. However, the person said they sometimes coasted to a complete stop.

A red light just ahead, sure, that's normal. However, the person said they sometimes coasted to a complete stop.

Mini road rage on the thread? :LOL: Just joking, Music Lover.

That was me. I mean, I don't do this all the time. I only do it on a few roads I'm very familiar with, and they are 4 lane. If this is bothersome, choose the other lane and feel free to get in front of me. And honestly, if it is crowded, I know this may confuse people so I don't try to hit zero. I still do a lot of coasting and don't rush the light.

Someone else said this may make people think the driver (me) is old or confused so they want to get around. That's true. Judicious use of this practice is therefore considered by me.

That was me. I mean, I don't do this all the time. I only do it on a few roads I'm very familiar with, and they are 4 lane.

You also said "uphill" which would slow you down more quickly and make it more likely to come to a stop without hitting the brakes.

Mini road rage on the thread? :LOL: Just joking, Music Lover.

That was me. I mean, I don't do this all the time. I only do it on a few roads I'm very familiar with, and they are 4 lane. If this is bothersome, choose the other lane and feel free to get in front of me. And honestly, if it is crowded, I know this may confuse people so I don't try to hit zero. I still do a lot of coasting and don't rush the light.

Someone else said this may make people think the driver (me) is old or confused so they want to get around. That's true. Judicious use of this practice is therefore considered by me.

If you are coasting to a stop and forcing people to maneuver around you, then you're doing it wrong.

If there's no one around then of course it doesn't matter. Perhaps I misunderstood your comment.

If you are coasting to a stop and forcing people to maneuver around you, then you're doing it wrong.

If there's no one around then of course it doesn't matter. Perhaps I misunderstood your comment.

The only thing forcing people to go around is impatience.

You also said "uphill" which would slow you down more quickly and make it more likely to come to a stop without hitting the brakes.
Correct. That's what I mean about doing it on familiar roads. For unfamiliar, I may back off but not try to hit zero.

We'll disagree on this. I see no need to rush to the red light that just turned.

Let's just say this comes down to the George Carlin routine. People who pass are maniacs, people who I need to pass are idiots. It is human nature.

Back to topic. I guess you could say we all need to be a little more tolerant and aware of others' habits out there. I'm no saint. I've made my judgement on other's driving too, although usually in matters of the law (left lane sitting, for example), so therefore I am always right.:LOL:

I coast to red lights, sometimes I touch the brake pedal, as the slightest touch will light up the brake lights. Otherwise those dumb people behind who can't see down the road and see the red light could be confused and drive into the back of my car.

I coast to red lights, sometimes I touch the brake pedal, as the slightest touch will light up the brake lights. Otherwise those dumb people behind who can't see down the road and see the red light could be confused and drive into the back of my car.

Same here

Sorry. I'm with JoeWras. When I see that it is inevitable that I will need to stop, I let off the gas. I do not subscribe to the theory that "you get there faster if you go as fast as you can between lights." If others want to halve the life of their brakes and spend 15% more on fuel than I do, I say fine. Just don't expect me to play your game. If you follow me and do what I do, I'll save you money. I won't cost you any time because red lights turn green without your help or mine. If it irritates you, that's on you. YMMV

It's actually very difficult to do, too. :cool: Lagging up to a red light and never once using your brakes is sort of the holy grail of saving money, creating less CO2, saving your brake pads, saving the planet one stop at a time AND personal accomplishment.:)

Back when I drove standard transmission vehicles, I never wore out a set of brake pads (150,000 miles on a set of brake pads.) And for those who might worry about clutch wear or transmission wear, I've never replaced either in a standard transmission vehicle. It was actually fun to drive back then. Now it's more like something I tolerate because I need to get someplace. While I'm driving, I am typically concerned with safety and saving fuel as well as wear and tear rather than getting there as fast as humanly possible.

I have discovered a "truth" that is probably universally true, but even more so in the Islands. If you wish to guarantee unhappiness (even in the midst of such natural beauty as we have here in Paradise) - Be in a hurry.

If you want to be happy, give yourself an extra 10 or 15 minutes when you travel. You'll have time to enjoy the scenery around you and not become angry with other drivers AND you'll save money (and probably live longer - oh, and have a better relationship with your spouse who is riding shotgun with you.) YMMV

Well people do this in EVs all the time. At least their brake lights come on when it goes into regen mode.

Sorry. I'm with JoeWras. When I see that it is inevitable that I will need to stop, I let off the gas. I do not subscribe to the theory that "you get there faster if you go as fast as you can between lights." If others want to halve the life of their brakes and spend 15% more on fuel than I do, I say fine. Just don't expect me to play your game. If you follow me and do what I do, I'll save you money. I won't cost you any time because red lights turn green without your help or mine. If it irritates you, that's on you. YMMV

I misinterpreted what JoeWras said, as I already told him.

Try coasting to a stop one day and see how long that takes. That's a lot different than taking your foot off the gas for the last little while if the situation calls for it, which I also do.

When you're on the road you also have a responsibility to maintain traffic flow and not drive too slowly if it will interfere with other drivers. You don't get to deliberately impede other drivers and then smugly blame them when they get upset.

We recently had one of our busier two lane residential streets turn into one lane with a turn lane in the center and a speed limit 35. The first day people started to use the turn lane as a passing lane and the speed limit is just ignored. That street is also the entrance to the high school. Students wanting to cross can push a button causing flashing lights. I can't tell you how many times I have stopped only to have a car behind me pull out and pass even with kids in the intersection.

Well people do this in EVs all the time. At least their brake lights come on when it goes into regen mode.

Heh, heh, that's very likely the main reason that EVs (and especially hybrids) can be so efficient. There is rarely any waste of kinetic energy that has built up. I had a neighbor who I rode with in his Prius. He really frightened me. (He was originally from Massachusetts.) He didn't believe he was actually "driving" unless he was pushing a pedal. He was either on the gas or the brake. He was exactly opposite of me in driving styles. YET he got 45 mpg in his Prius. I will seriously consider a hybrid when I get my next car (if I should live so long!:facepalm:)

Try coasting to a stop one day and see how long that takes. That's a lot different than taking your foot off the gas for the last little while if the situation calls for it, which I also do.

Perhaps the misunderstanding is due to the fact that different cars coast to a stop at very different rates of speed.

I misinterpreted what JoeWras said, as I already told him.

Try coasting to a stop one day and see how long that takes.
If my car is running and in drive, it never coasts to a complete stop on level ground. But I know uphill was mentioned.

When you're on the road you also have a responsibility to maintain traffic flow and not drive too slowly if it will interfere with other drivers. You don't get to deliberately impede other drivers and then smugly blame them when they get upset.
But if someone is tailgating you, you should slow down.

Perhaps the misunderstanding is due to the fact that different cars coast to a stop at very different rates of speed.

It's also easier if you are going uphill before the stop. We have lots of "altitude" changes here in the Islands, so finding good places to practice my "lagging" skills is relatively easy (of course, the opposite happens as well - it's difficult to come to a complete stop when lagging DOWN hill:mad:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom