Driving

As far as turn signals go, I use them when there are other vehicles in my vicinity, but not always otherwise. Also, being a veteran Beltway (DC) driver, I learned not to signal lane changes, although I do tend to flick it on as I start my move. Drivers really do speed up to try to block you if they see your signal.

In SWFL, on the other hand, I don't pay much attention to turn signals. That left hand signal might have been going for 5 miles, and the driver is just as likely to turn right (from the left hand land) as left. But since they're only going 35 in a 55 mph zone, you've got time to react. Drive on.

+2.

Here is what I don't understand about turn signal usage in general (not particularly in response to The Wizard's situation): why not just ALWAYS use them. Why do people even think about whether or not to use them? Just lighten the cognitive load: If you are turning, use the signals!

As a person who walks for most of my chores, I am particularly sensitive to this. You wouldn't believe how many people don't use turn signals when it is "only" for a pedestrian. HEY! I may be on foot, but I would also like to know where your car is going!

Of course, the flip side of this is that I sometimes use my signals when there really *is* no need. I laughed at myself the other day for putting on my turn signals while pulling out of my own driveway. :D:facepalm:

Oh, I’ve found another member of my tribe!

Indigo Blue metallic. Dodge will discontinue the color this year. It's kind of cool color that changes with different light sources. Dark blue to light blue to almost dark purple.

My last hemi was not as cool as yours. But the color was cool. Ram 2500 HD had the Deep Forest Green, it looked Black until the light hit at the right angle then it really was green. :cool:

No need to ask if that thing has got a Hemi.
Get 'em while they're hot I guess.

I've often wondered if it might not be a good idea to buy up several crate Hemi's or other such HP crate motors and just store them for a while. I think that soon, such engines will be very difficult to find.

I recall (back when I was poor) thinking it would be a good idea to buy a ZL-1 427 aluminum block in a crate. Now they're worth almost their weight in gold. Here's a site showing that someone DID buy one and store it. Heh, heh, talk about precious metals.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/chevrolet-427-zl-1-engine-block-found-new-crate-stored-40-years/

^^^^^
If I were in my 20's I might consider it, but not in my 70's. :) Heck the last time I checked there's been ~75k Hellcat engines built since 2015. God only knows how many other Hemis have been built, but it's in the millions They'll be plenty around for the rest of my life...

Last edited:
I sold 2 C4 vettes when I bought my ScatPack. I'm so glad I did. I loved the vettes but the ScatPack is easier to get in and out of plus the vettes were ticket getters (not that the Scat isn't). I tend to drive the Scat more cautiously. I have had police follow me for a several miles before becoming disappointed that I wasn't going to do anything to warrant further action. I was the only 68yo guy in night traffic school in 2018 because of the red convertible vette (and my heavy foot). Out on a rural road and goosed it a bit just as the Highway Partol passed by. They are hard to spot here because they drive white SUV's and their light bars look like luggage racks at a distance. My DW who usually alerts me did not have her internal radar on at the time. BUSTED!

As far as turn signals go, I use them when there are other vehicles in my vicinity, but not always otherwise. Also, being a veteran Beltway (DC) driver, I learned not to signal lane changes, although I do tend to flick it on as I start my move. Drivers really do speed up to try to block you if they see your signal.

This has rarely been my experience. 90% of the time I do not have a problem when signalling a lane change. 10% of the driving population are idiots, so I never expect it to work 100% of the time :). Just today a group of us drove to Nationals Park in DC, in moderate-heavy traffic, no issues with lane changes. Best to signal and avoid a potential ticket.

On the other hands, in the boroughs of New York City, particularly in merging traffic... a whole different story :D.

One thing I did observe that bothers me: motorcyclists zooming on the lines between lanes of slow heavy traffic at a high rate of speed. This really annoyed one of the folks in our group who is a police officer. It is still illegal in most states.

Last edited:
I was the only 68yo guy in night traffic school in 2018 because of the red convertible vette (and my heavy foot).

Traffic school is just jail for a day. Making you sit through stuff you already know. Do the crime, do the time, LOL.

Here's a funny true story. I joke I graduated from traffic school before graduating from college. Went 6 times in 5 years. Back before each county was linked to statewide system. Saved my insurance from the license points. Each time was 8 hours of sitting/sleeping through traffic school class.

I lost track how many times I went to driving safety school but it was more than a few... (Slow learner) These days the school is on line... Much better but I'm still a slow learner.

Around here there are lots of slow drivers, but no one gets impatient or upset, rather it’s accepted - cultural thing I assume.

Lane blocking for turn signals or moving up to close the gap are extremely rare. So are traffic jams except in construction zones.

I’m a little worried about driving in CA even though I survived before. I’ll be avoiding rush hour.

Last edited:
One thing I did observe that bothers me: motorcyclists zooming on the lines between lanes of slow heavy traffic at a high rate of speed. This really annoyed one of the folks in our group who is a police officer. It is still illegal in most states.

There is a good reason for that. I saw several nasty accidents happen when the gap between cars wasn't quite as large as the motorcyclist thought they were. The worst was the one when a guy stopped in traffic opened the driver's door to pour out the dregs of his coffee cup, just in time to amputate the right leg of the motorcyclist zooming past. The guy almost didn't make it to the hospital. That being illegal ("lane splitting") in MD too, the accident was the motorcyclist's fault.

I sold 2 C4 vettes when I bought my ScatPack. I'm so glad I did. I loved the vettes but the ScatPack is easier to get in and out of plus the vettes were ticket getters (not that the Scat isn't). I tend to drive the Scat more cautiously. I have had police follow me for a several miles before becoming disappointed that I wasn't going to do anything to warrant further action. I was the only 68yo guy in night traffic school in 2018 because of the red convertible vette (and my heavy foot). Out on a rural road and goosed it a bit just as the Highway Partol passed by. They are hard to spot here because they drive white SUV's and their light bars look like luggage racks at a distance. My DW who usually alerts me did not have her internal radar on at the time. BUSTED!

I got pulled over in my Vette back in the day. The LEO was positively giddy over the prospect of nailing his first Vette. He was asking me all about what I had in it, how much it cost, where I got it, etc. etc. He still gave me the ticket but I guess I made his day - not mine of course.

My driving habits have changed in the past 2 years. I had a corvette from 2001 to 2021 when I traded the vette on a 2021 Jeep Wrangler. Although I never got a speeding ticket in the vette, I used to drive it faster than my Wrangler is even capable of going. Funny - I used to pass everyone, now everyone passes me. The vette could go fast but only in the right conditions. The Wrangler goes slow but can handle any conditions.

My days of driving fast are long gone. But I do need to drive almost anywhere in almost all conditions. Hence the Jeep. And I do need to haul stuff. Jeep can't haul, so I'm keeping my 2017 F-150.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom