Driving at Age 97

I totally disagree!! There are people of ALL ages that should not be driving. I see them every day.
By the way, I just turned 80, and passed my flight review. I also piloted a P-51 to celebrate my birthday.:dance:

First of all, so glad you are still pursuing your passion at age 80. I personally feel much safer with you in the air than I do with you behind the wheel of a car. My comfort begins with the fact that there is a lot less traffic in the air than on the roadway. Most private pilot aviation accidents only kill the pilot and occupants of that aircraft. Many times when elderly people drive and there is an accident there are many more injured/killed because of congestion. My 87 yr old DM keeps telling me not to worry about her when she drives. I tell her point blank, "it's not you I am worried about mom", "it's the people you may kill or mame". Thinking about taking her car away from her in October when she turns 88.

Taking someone's license JUST because of their age is discrimination.

And discrimination is not ok.
Driving is NOT a right. Can't drive until I'm 16-discrimination! Can't vote until I'm 18-discrimination! Can't drink until I'm 21-discrimination! Can't run for president until I'm 35-discrimination!

"Studies also indicate fatal crashes-per-miles-traveled increased for individuals, ages 70 to 74. This number of fatal crashes-per-miles-traveled is highest among drivers ages 85 years or older.
The number of seniors involved in multiple-vehicle crashes at intersections grows exponentially for individuals ages 60 to 64.
Multiple-vehicle crashes accounted for 40 percent of fatal accidents in drivers age 80 and older compared to 20 percent of drivers ages 16 to 59."

https://seniors.lovetoknow.com/Elderly_Driving_Statistics

"Studies also indicate fatal crashes-per-miles-traveled increased for individuals, ages 70 to 74. This number of fatal crashes-per-miles-traveled is highest among drivers ages 85 years or older.
The number of seniors involved in multiple-vehicle crashes at intersections grows exponentially for individuals ages 60 to 64.
Multiple-vehicle crashes accounted for 40 percent of fatal accidents in drivers age 80 and older compared to 20 percent of drivers ages 16 to 59."

https://seniors.lovetoknow.com/Elderly_Driving_Statistics
Curious to see since some of the liberal states that legalized recreational weed out West how many low speed crashes that will happen when the stoners that have the munchies looking for a Taco Bell or Wendy's and what age groups.

Many older people will tell you they are excellent drivers. My mother insisted she was an excellent driver. After she turned 80 she hit a car, she hit a garage, she hit a pole....but yeah, she was an excellent driver. Even after we took her keys away, she still insisted she was an excellent driver and NONE of those accidents were her fault. Yeah. All those things just jumped out in front of her. It had nothing to do with the fact that her reaction time to situations was compromised.

If driving at 97 was so dangerous, car insurance for older drivers would be over $100,000 per year but it's not. Teen age drivers are probably more dangerous since their rates are much higher.

CQ8VIsM.png

Well, since your chart only goes up to age 85 and was starting to climb, we really don't know what it would be for a 97 year old. But I think it's rather telling that it's climbing at the more advanced ages.

My FIL who's in his 80's and lives in England drives much better than I could. Maybe it's not a British thing, but just his and my thing, I don't know.

Are you actually serious?? :LOL:

Why is that laughable? At age 65 you have likely gone nearly 50 years since your last driving test. A lot of people have significantly diminished faculties by that age. Testing seems reasonable to me. If you pass then you get a five year renewal.

Why is that laughable? At age 65 you have likely gone nearly 50 years since your last driving test. A lot of people have significantly diminished faculties by that age. Testing seems reasonable to me. If you pass then you get a five year renewal.

I believe in Texas the DMV tests over 65 every other renewal period. DW had to take the eye test and the driving test last Fall when she was 73. She passed with flying colors. She hasn't had an accident (if any) since before I have known her (26 years).

65 still seems quite young to me, but I'll be there in a few years, so that may be why. When I was in my 30's, 65 was ancient.

And another thing. I see a lot of airport shuttle drivers are in their 60's and 70's. For whatever reason. I feel pretty safe in their hands, but it's likely that their reaction time is slower compared to the young ones.

Last edited:
I believe in Texas the DMV tests over 65 every other renewal period. DW had to take the eye test and the driving test last Fall when she was 73. She passed with flying colors. She hasn't had an accident (if any) since before I have known her (26 years).

I thought the additional evaluation age in Texas was 79: TxDPS - Drivers Age 79 or Older

Drivers Age 79 or Older

In addition to the regular driver license renewal requirements, if you are 79 years of age or older you will be required to renew your driver license in-person at your local driver license office. During your renewal:

1. You will be required to successfully pass a vision test, and
2. A driver license office representative (CSR) will evaluate your responses provided at the time of your renewal regarding your medical history to determine if any additional testing is required*.

The Department does not have different licensing standards due to age, however it is our responsibility to ensure all licensed drivers are in good physical and medical condition, have the ability to operate a motor vehicle safely, and can follow all Texas traffic laws and rules. You will only be required to take a driving test or obtain additional information from your physician if, after being evaluated, it is determined that you may not be able to safely operate a motor vehicle.

Is it possible her medical history triggered the additional testing?

Last edited:
Oh wow. Our car has scratches on the bumper... would you make us quit driving?
My mom drove until 90. I started seeing a few scratches on the side of her car so I talked her into giving it up.

65 still seems quite young to me, but I'll be there in a few years, so that may be why. When I was in my 30's, 65 was ancient.

And another thing. I see a lot of airport shuttle drivers are in their 60's and 70's. For whatever reason. I feel pretty safe in their hands, but it's likely that their reaction time is slower compared to the young ones.

Are you worried they will miss the text messages, because that is what I see many young drivers doing, texting and driving 85 mph down the freeway.. :facepalm:

Driving is NOT a right. Can't drive until I'm 16-discrimination! Can't vote until I'm 18-discrimination! Can't drink until I'm 21-discrimination! Can't run for president until I'm 35-discrimination!
Me too!!! Another me too movement excuse.

Let's put aside the cognitive impairment that lessens one's ability to evaluate one's own driving for a moment.

So what are WE going to do to prevent US from being "those" drivers? The NY Times today has a story generated by Philip's accident about impaired older drivers. It mentions a "driving contract" with the younger generation whereby we let them make the call. Hmmm.

I have been a safe driver but never considered myself particularly good. I already find myself in my early 60s avoiding night driving - and when I can't avoid it, I'm fearful. I plan to take a senior driving course from AARP this year. I paid extra for a car with safety features (but am kind of afraid of them - what happens if the car brakes for me? What happens if the lane markings run out?) I leave 1 car length per 10 miles of speed for the car in front of me (that REALLY helps). My next move to another home will take walkability into consideration. I look forward to self-driving cars with great anticipation. I will probably be one who surrenders car keys sooner rather than later. But, even now, I'm building some cash towards my "next car" to be purchased sometime in my 70s. I wonder if I will ever need it.

Last edited:
My FIL is age 94 and still drives. None of us will ride with him. He has backed into out car and crashed into BIL's car too. This along with numerous broken tail lights, slightly dented fenders etc. When he visits, we all move our cars out of the way. This morning, we are in the midst of a pretty big snowstorm and he surely will go out to buy a newspaper. All of this despite the fact that we have hinted (asked) that he stop driving. Somebody please take away the keys!

If you think older drivers are a hazard you should call your kids or grandkids schools and ask the age of the bus drivers. I know some locally that are 80 years old. I am 73 and they will only renew my license for 3 years and was told when you hit 80 the testing is more frequent. Age isn't a general overall guideline for eligibility but it should be a consideration. If someone in my family tries to take my license there will be problems.

My dad drove until 96. He never had any accidents, but it still scared me. I went with him to get his driver's license renewed at 95. I felt for sure that they would want to test him (or at least discourage him), but they were happy to give him a new license - for free! Not even an eye test.

To be honest, the few times I rode with him he did fine. My brother kept telling me to take away his keys. My brother (who lived out of state) wouldn't tell him, he wanted me to do it. I tried. I disconnected his battery. He called AAA. Towards the end, he couldn't walk well enough once he got somewhere, so he stopped driving. I was relieved.

I tell DW that I'm going to propose a new law. Not for older drivers, but for texters. If someone cause me to miss a light due to texting there should be a mandatory $1,000 fine and 30 days in jail. She thinks I'm joking. I'm not.

Texting while driving has to be a primary violation for starters and not a secondary violation like it is in some states.

Just open you eyes and look around you when you are out driving. Are the sucky dangerous drivers senior citizens:confused:?

Just open you eyes and look around you when you are out driving. Are the sucky dangerous drivers senior citizens:confused:?

Around me in FLA (not a true retirement area), when I see the dangerous drivers, they are always youngins and usually male.

Back
Top Bottom