Driving at Age 97

Nick12

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
What in his right mind to be driving at age 97? Prince Phillip of England flipped his Range Rover when he got into an accident with another vehicle recently.

He could have killed someone. Sure some 97 year olds have their faculties and are capable of driving. Same could be said of some 10 year olds. But we don’t let 10 year olds drive. And we shouldn’t let 97 year olds drive either. Licenses should be stripped at age 80 - tops. There is Uber, Lyft and countless other ride sharing services that can ensure that older people arrive safe and sound at their destinations, without killing someone on their way. And you’re telling me the Queen’s husband doesn’t have a team of professional drivers at his neck and call 24/7?

I think you should have to pass a driving test to keep you license past a certain age(maybe 65?). I know people in their 80's who are more physically able to drive than people in their 60's. It shouldn't just be automatic that you can't drive when you reach a certain age. Maybe have more frequent testing as you get older. Maybe have a driving test at 65 and then 70, 75, 80, 81, 82, 83.....

My father drove until 87 y.o. and is now legally blind at 89.

I think you should have to pass a driving test to keep you license past a certain age(maybe 65?). I know people in their 80's who are more physically able to drive than people in their 60's. It shouldn't just be automatic that you can't drive when you reach a certain age. Maybe have more frequent testing as you get older. Maybe have a driving test at 65 and then 70, 75, 80, 81, 82, 83.....
Rules varies from state to state. No provisions I heard of of senior citizens getting retested in an actual driving exam. In Florida, seniors need to pass a vision test if you are driving past age 80. Some states there is not even a vision test. Just show up at the DMV and get your picture retaken at the DMV office. Don't smile.

It's insane IMO, to think it's okay to take someones drivers license (or anything else) away just because of their age. Some folks at 60 shouldn't be driving, others at 97+ "may" still be able to drive safely. Personally I do think it would be "reasonable" to require an annual drivers test after a certain age. (Maybe it should start at 75 or 80) Testing could be more than just driving too. But as long as they can pass the test(s) they should be allowed to drive.

If we are going to start thinking about taking away privileges/rights due to impairments of age, let's start with those who work in Washington DC...

Last edited:
My father still drives at nearly 94. While I am more comfortable when I drive, he doesn't scare me when I am riding with him.

It's insane IMO, to think it's okay to take someones drivers license (or anything else) away just because of their age. Some folks at 60 shouldn't be driving, others at 97+ "may" still be able to drive safely. Personally I do think it would be "reasonable" to require an annual drivers test after a certain age. (Maybe it should start at 75 or 80) Testing could be more than just driving too. But as long as they can pass the test(s) they should be allowed to drive.

If we are going to start thinking about taking away privileges/rights due to impairments of age, let's start with those who work in Washington DC...

Agree with all of your comments ;)

. And we shouldn’t let 97 year olds drive either. Licenses should be stripped at age 80 - tops. 24/7?
I totally disagree!! There are people of ALL ages that should not be driving. I see them every day.
By the way, I just turned 80, and passed my flight review. I also piloted a P-51 to celebrate my birthday.:dance:

It anyone is 70 and going to rent a car in Europe, check the rental company's terms and conditions. They may not rent to such youngsters, much less The Prince.

My mom drove fine and lived to almost 90. Taking licenses for age is ridiculous.

Uncle is 88 and still drives, with Aunt navigating.

Aunt is a tough lady, who would have taken the keys away long ago if she didn't feel safe. She says he's an alert, cautious driver, who never had a good sense of direction, even when young.

I totally disagree!! There are people of ALL ages that should not be driving. I see them every day.
By the way, I just turned 80, and passed my flight review. I also piloted a P-51 to celebrate my birthday.:dance:
+1

Congratulations on both.

I followed some person today doing 20 in a 40, straddling the center line and weaving. Were they intoxicated? Perhaps(it was 8 am), or a southern tourist who was looking at snow?

Who is going to decide? My DF drove till 93 and gave it up. Should he have quit earlier? I don't know, he had one fender bender a few years earlier that was his fault. The state of FL. didn't have an issue with him continuing to drive.

My mom drove until 90. I started seeing a few scratches on the side of her car so I talked her into giving it up.

Licenses should be stripped at age 80 - tops.

That's just the way you feel - until you're 79.

Really, I've seen drivers who were fine at 90 and some who were "an accident going someplace to happen" at age 40.

I've thought for years that the driver's license should completely expire every two years and then the driver would have to re-qualify, including the written test, completely then. And the loudest howls of protest will come from those who are afraid they can't do it.

:dance:
By the way, I just turned 80, and passed my flight review. I also piloted a P-51 to celebrate my birthday.

Souchef is only kidding. I know what he does, and where he goes.... He's 45, and he and Kathy will be that age forever. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Oh... and by the way, he also knows how to fly a MIG-15.:dance:

Last edited:
Some of the young whipper snappers are very presumptuous to think older seniors are incapable of driving. Paul Newman remained a very competitive race car driver into his 80s, let alone street driving. Personally, I think those caught texting while driving should not be driving.

Dave Barry explains that older drivers choose one speed, say 22 miles an hour, and drive that speed no matter where they are--whether it's in their driveway or on the highway.

Taking someone's license JUST because of their age is discrimination.

And discrimination is not ok.

Back
Top Bottom