ER religious preference

As a practicing Catholic, I freely admit I wouldn't be if my wife wasn't (I was a Deist before we met).  I just can't believe that God would stop you at the pearly gates and say, "oh, wait, you're Southern Baptist?  Oh no, sorry, hell for you!".

Then you don't appear to be a real "committed" member of your faith. Almost every religion has as one of it's tenets that only the believers of that religion (or sometimes tight cluster of similar religions - eg. Christianity- but not always - e.g. Southern Baptists are extra exclusionary) are going to the "happy hunting grounds". Ask your priest if Buddhists (or perhaps Wiccans) are going to heaven or not.

I am simply following the guiding Morningstar (.com)

Cheers, Ben

Actually Hyper, we "shopped" parishes until we found one that answered yes to the question of other people of faith (great church-too bad it's a 30 minute drive!) including Bhuddist (sp?) Wiccan etc. I would go into how and why, but I don't want to wear out my welcome on this board, as I enjoy the company immensly. :D

So, what is the logical reasoning for Catholicism over say Mormonism or Shintoism or Southern Baptists or Hara Krishna or Wiccanism or any of a thousand or more other religions?  Or is it just the default choice with no logic because that's what your parents and their parents and so on did?

Hyper: Apparantly you have no concept of Catholicism and the advantage over other religeons.
Mormans generally don't allow smoking, drinking coffee, liquor, etc. etc. The Catholic religeon allows all of the above, and if you can haul your -ss into confession on Sat. no matter what you have done, all is o.k. with the world.
How can you beat that? A happy practicing Catholic for over 45 years, Jarhead

Summer bible school.

I can't think of a worse infection to inflict on your kids. :'(

HIV, genital herpes, a provincial mentality masked by braggadocio

I knew it was risky to start this, but I figured since the population here tends to be older, it'd stay sort of civil.  Besides politics gets brought up so much, i didnt see the harm in adding religion.  Maybe sex can be next eh?

I really am genuinely curious about what i asked.  It'd be neat if a poll were taken to see if there were any correlation.  Or maybe there is no correlation.  That's why i asked.

I figured since the population here tends to be older....

I don't get too bothered about the politics stuff or the religion stuff. But now I can feel myself getting sort of pissed.

I don't get too bothered about the politics stuff or the religion stuff. But now I can feel myself getting sort of pissed.

ROFL.

You'll get over it.

I thought that Unitarianism was the "no muss - no fuss" religion of choice?

Yeah, but do they get to guzzle wine during services? ;)

Funny story: I walked up to receive communion at a thinly-attended Mass a few years ago. I got up to the cup, and the eucharistic minister leaned forward and whispered words to the effect that could I drink it up since there was nobody else there. Chug, chug, chug! Bottoms up with the transubstantiated blood of the Savior!

Fallen Catholic and fallen kayaker. I've left both behind.

I used to call myself Christian, until I figured out that I need to believe in Christ for that. (I'm not trying to be funny). I believe in him as a historical figure, but not necessarily as a savior.

I have Quaker and pagan tendencies.

The Word is the beginning and the end.  The universe was created through Him, and for Him.  He holds it together with the force of His will.

The Word is the beginning and the end.  The universe was created through Him, and for Him.  He holds it together with the force of His will.
Are you refering to John Galt? :)

No. A hint, the Word was made flesh a litlle more than 730,000 days ago.

I used to call myself Christian, until I figured out that I need to believe in Christ for that. (I'm not trying to be funny). I believe in him as a historical figure, but not necessarily as a savior.

That's my problem too.  Was raised in a christain family, but as i went on to become a scientist (masters in biology), thinks like faith and "belief" lost all meaning to me.  

To me, there is what we know and what we dont know.  I neither believe nor disbelieve anything.  Sure, I guess I could say/proclaim I believe such and such, but what difference does that make?  It certainly doesnt necessarily make it so just because I believe it.  If my "beliefs" couldn't pass the scrutany of scientific literary journals, then maybe I shouldn't be so confident about presuming its true simply because I "want" it to be true.  

No one wants to live just ~ 80 years, and certainly no one "wants" to go to hell, so I can certainly understand anyone's motive for wanting to believe in God and Heaven.  The alternative just isn't that rosy is it?

I think for a time I was using "Pascal's Wager"; which basically argues what do you have to lose by believing.  If you're right, you go to heaven, if not, you're worm food just the same.  Problem with that is, I doubt God would consider that line of thinking genuine.  If one's only "covering a base", then I serious doubt that will get you past the pearly gates.  Also, the genuince christain knows the bible actually calls for a great deal of sacrifice as part of the process of putting God first, so its not exactly a painless gamble.

I think for a time I was using "Pascal's Wager"

Well, the other problem with Pascal's Wager is that you are also taking a bet on which god or gods to believe in.  Are you sure that if you choose brand X religion that the "true" religion isn't brand Y?  Perhaps the brand Y god would be happier with those who didn't choose rather than those who chose brand X?

Well, the other problem with Pascal's Wager is that you are also taking a bet on which god or gods to believe in. Are you sure that if you choose brand X religion that the "true" religion isn't brand Y? Perhaps the brand Y god would be happier with those who didn't choose rather than those who chose brand X?

That truth just ticks me off to be honest. Why did I have to be born in a world where I have to guess what truth is, and according to many, if i guess wrong, i'm going to burn for a long time. Why the guessing games, "God"?

And why do 95% of the people in this world have it all figured out, even though most of them don't agree with each other. Do these 95% realize that all of them have to be wrong except one... at best?

I'm an agnostic out of humility. I get accused of being a know-it-all, but I'll be the first to tell you I haven't the slightest clue as to what all the real answers are to the meaning of life.

I'll bet it has something to do with safe withdrawal rates. Although the answer being '42' leaves me to think theres a 'magic tool' involved.

Back
Top Bottom