ER religious preference

azanon

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'll start:

Agnostic (Empirical Scientist)

My hypothesis is that there is a stronger correlation between being non-religious and being drawn to retirement though i wouldn't be surprised if the majority still were not.  

The U.S. polls ive seen show almost 70-80% of american citizens identifying themselves as christain.  I'm guessing that percentage is lower with ERs, though there could be those that intend to swap "work for pay" for voluntary work for non-profit or their respective church.  But as best i can interpret from the bible, not working at all would not please God.

Granted there will also always be a large percentage that retire for health reasons, and i understand that.

Yeah, me too, I'm steering well clear of this one. Nords out.

Agnostic here, but a strong supporter of Christianity.
I think it can be a positive force. On the other hand,
I also think a bunch of other religions can be a positive force :)

JG

Catholic with stong empathy/sympathy to most other religions, as I too think any faith system can be a positive force (probably influenced by my stepmother being a witch-no really, a Wiccan, she's actually really cool) :)

any faith system can be a positive force

As history has proven, it can also become a negative force, just like anything else. That discussion is outside the scope of this thread however :)

Episcopalian now, former Catholic. Spent various weeks of my life in Buddhist monasteries . I'm sort of the opposite of those who dislike their religion of origin or religions in general, I mostly like all of them. Each has something I like and something I don't like.

I'm pretty much a "scientist".  There's no evidence for religion and no evidence against (at least none better than that for Elvis working at my local Burger King) so I don't know.  There is some "truth" in many religions in that they are codified forms of "common sense" packaged up for people in times before literacy was common.  Some of that "common sense" is now out of date as things like refrigeration have invalidated the reasons for avoiding shellfish (for example).

I'm generally willing to "mind my own business" when it comes to people's religions, hobbies or peccadilloes but I do object when they wish to impose them upon others.  I also find it amusing that many "believers" are very selective about which tenets of their faith or which sections of their documents to use for "guidance" - generally picking whichever agrees with whatever outcome they wanted in the first place.

To quote Milton "They also serve who only stand and wait."

Is that Milton Berle? And, is that the religion where
the men wear dresses?

JG

Oh great. Time to run. Maybe I'll open a less controversial ER pro-choice/pro-life thread. . .

Well, as long as I'm posting: Isn't Episcopalian just "Catholic Lite"? :D

Wow zipper, don't hold back! Are you hoping someone will bite on that one? I think ER and ER wannabe's are too laid back to wrapped around the axle on this one. Well, one of the reasons America is great is freedom of religion, including no religion. Religion and politics, never good to debate....

BMJ......

Yes, Episcopal is Catholic lite. I was raised Episcopal.
I suppose I'm a non denomination Christian, though not practicing officially.

Wow zipper, don't hold back!  Are you hoping someone will bite on that one?  I think ER and ER wannabe's are too laid back to wrapped around the axle on this one.  Well, one of the reasons America is great is freedom of religion, including no religion.  Religion and politics, never good to debate....

Hold back on what? I don't see a post from Zipper here. Anyway, Catholic, with appreciation of others.

I'm Catholic. My taste runs more to incense and Gregorian Chant than to dogma. Since I was already adult by Vatican 2, I am maybe not as dogmatically sophisticated as many younger Catholics. Kind of a typical older ethnic Catholic man. Went to Catholic grade school, but public high school. I do not care what religion anyone else practices, or doesn't practice.

Mikey

I do not care what religion anyone else practices, or doesn't practice.

Too bad not everyone thinks that way... it's sure easier to live your own life when you stop worrying about how others are living theirs. Canadians have figured this out... hopefully we can too.

Somebody deleted it. Wise move.

I didn't see Zipper's post. So I can't say for sure. But it's hard for me to imagine that it was worse than a lot of other stuff I have seen posted to this forum and not deleted (I don't mean on this thread).

I did not see the "Zipper" post either. I am glad he is on
here though, if only because he serves to take some pressure off me when I go on a "rant".

I don't know if the following would be considered a virtue, but I like it. Unless I am joking around (which I do a lot) my stuff is always
honest. Great believer in honesty in all venues, even
when my mouth gets me in trouble. DW is trying to
train me to be less outspoken. How's she doing? :)

JG

I am glad he is on here though, if only because he serves to take some pressure off me when I go on a "rant".

I know the feeling.

I don't know if the following would be considered a virtue, but I like it.  Unless I am joking around (which I do a lot) my stuff is always honest.

That's two virtues by my count. Honesty is a virtue. And taking a lighthearted enough approach that you are able to joke around even when under attack is a virtue.

Great believer in honesty in all venues

I knew there was something I liked about you, JohnGalt.

DW is trying to train me to be less outspoken.  How's she doing?

I think that your wife is right to seek to have you say things in a softer way, and that you are right not to want to soften things to the point where you are not saying anything of value. Each new morning gives every one of us a new opportunity to aim to achieve the right mix.

Back
Top Bottom