Examples of current inflation - add yours!

Less than 2 years ago, we ate a carry out plate lunch from our local Times grocery store once or twice a week. Each day, there were different featured dishes, typically with 3 main-course selections to choose from plus 3 of 5 side selections each day plus a refillable fountain drink (take THAT Costco Hot-Dog-And-A-Drink!) Price was $8.99 and there was enough food in each carry out for two people. This week, that price has gone to $11.99 per meal. Still a pretty good deal, but the rate of inflation is astounding. If I'm calculating that correctly, it's a 33% inflation over less than 2 years. Fortunately, the size and quality have remained the same. YMMV

Not sure what the old price was, but my gf and I had free tickets to a swanky hotel Sunday brunch. It was quite good, very clean historic place, marble bathrooms, nice waitresses, great prime rib, piano player.

Had we paid, the price would have been $49 each ! The place was about 2/3 full. I guess I can put this place on my 'Blow that Dough' list for future reference, lol.

4-pack of craft beer pints, in cans, at beer store a few days ago, $23.00. Luckily for me they have a discount shelf where I can get decent craft beer for 40% off, due to it nearing exp date. Nothing new, though. Craft beer prices have been going insane for 10 years already, lol. Plenty of cases retailing for over $100.

It would depend on what the craft beer was, in our house thats still cheap beer.

Take for instance Founders 4 pack of 12 oz bottles of Stout

Breakfast stout - $11.99
Kentucky Breakfast Stout - $17.99
Kentucky Breakfast Stout Spicy Chocolate - $23.99

The inflation for beer personally was a long time ago when they went from 6 pks to 4 pks so the price didn't look as scary and that seemed to allow them to start pricing beer like wine.

I just received my homeowners insurance policy renewal. The deductible for wind damage and hail has been doubled to $2000, so you would hope that would keep my premium down.

But no, my insurance jumped 31% from last year's premium and 103% from 3 years ago. I've never had a claim and have the same discounts. This is even worse than I expected after coming off big increases over the last two years.

Edit: corrected percentage and added 3 year percentage.

Last edited:
USAA just sent out my 6 month auto insurance renewal for June 1. I had been holding my breath waiting as the renewals the past few years have shown some shocking increases. This renewal actually showed a decrease of about $2 which these days I will categorize as a win.

The new South Florida Brightline train, Last year we took 3 round trips to Miami, each round trip cost between $29-$49 pp. The train does surge pricing, Today we’re headed down and the new regular rt fare is now $112. They’ve also done away with seat selection.

It’s pretty clear last years fare was promotional. At this current fare I really don’t see much demand, yet ridership is increasing.

Had to replace the batteries (yes, two since it is a diesel) in my old truck $258 for both without core charge. I could not find the receipt for the batteries purchased approx 4 years ago, but did find the receipt from Aug 2014 battery replacement at $199 for the same thing. So that's just under 30% inflation in 10 years. I guess that is not a unrealistic increase.

Funny related cost increase on batteries. The 2014 core charge was $9, it is currently $15. Not an issue since I brought in my old batteries when buying the new ones. But that is 67% cost inflation.
I was in an auto parts stores buying some "stuff" yesterday and passed by the car battery section. Holy Shnikies"....I had no idea of the price increases of car batteries. Admittedly, it's been a while (4 or 5 years) since I bought a car battery but they have ~doubled in price since then, IIRC. If you want a top end battery it's another ~50% more. Crazy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom