Examples of current inflation - add yours!

Less than 2 years ago, we ate a carry out plate lunch from our local Times grocery store once or twice a week. Each day, there were different featured dishes, typically with 3 main-course selections to choose from plus 3 of 5 side selections each day plus a refillable fountain drink (take THAT Costco Hot-Dog-And-A-Drink!) Price was $8.99 and there was enough food in each carry out for two people. This week, that price has gone to $11.99 per meal. Still a pretty good deal, but the rate of inflation is astounding. If I'm calculating that correctly, it's a 33% inflation over less than 2 years. Fortunately, the size and quality have remained the same. YMMV

Not sure what the old price was, but my gf and I had free tickets to a swanky hotel Sunday brunch. It was quite good, very clean historic place, marble bathrooms, nice waitresses, great prime rib, piano player.

Had we paid, the price would have been $49 each ! The place was about 2/3 full. I guess I can put this place on my 'Blow that Dough' list for future reference, lol.

4-pack of craft beer pints, in cans, at beer store a few days ago, $23.00. Luckily for me they have a discount shelf where I can get decent craft beer for 40% off, due to it nearing exp date. Nothing new, though. Craft beer prices have been going insane for 10 years already, lol. Plenty of cases retailing for over $100.

It would depend on what the craft beer was, in our house thats still cheap beer.

Take for instance Founders 4 pack of 12 oz bottles of Stout

Breakfast stout - $11.99
Kentucky Breakfast Stout - $17.99
Kentucky Breakfast Stout Spicy Chocolate - $23.99

The inflation for beer personally was a long time ago when they went from 6 pks to 4 pks so the price didn't look as scary and that seemed to allow them to start pricing beer like wine.

I just received my homeowners insurance policy renewal. The deductible for wind damage and hail has been doubled to $2000, so you would hope that would keep my premium down.

But no, my insurance jumped 31% from last year's premium and 103% from 3 years ago. I've never had a claim and have the same discounts. This is even worse than I expected after coming off big increases over the last two years.

Edit: corrected percentage and added 3 year percentage.

Last edited:
USAA just sent out my 6 month auto insurance renewal for June 1. I had been holding my breath waiting as the renewals the past few years have shown some shocking increases. This renewal actually showed a decrease of about $2 which these days I will categorize as a win.

The new South Florida Brightline train, Last year we took 3 round trips to Miami, each round trip cost between $29-$49 pp. The train does surge pricing, Today we’re headed down and the new regular rt fare is now $112. They’ve also done away with seat selection.

It’s pretty clear last years fare was promotional. At this current fare I really don’t see much demand, yet ridership is increasing.

Had to replace the batteries (yes, two since it is a diesel) in my old truck $258 for both without core charge. I could not find the receipt for the batteries purchased approx 4 years ago, but did find the receipt from Aug 2014 battery replacement at $199 for the same thing. So that's just under 30% inflation in 10 years. I guess that is not a unrealistic increase.

Funny related cost increase on batteries. The 2014 core charge was $9, it is currently $15. Not an issue since I brought in my old batteries when buying the new ones. But that is 67% cost inflation.
I was in an auto parts stores buying some "stuff" yesterday and passed by the car battery section. Holy Shnikies"....I had no idea of the price increases of car batteries. Admittedly, it's been a while (4 or 5 years) since I bought a car battery but they have ~doubled in price since then, IIRC. If you want a top end battery it's another ~50% more. Crazy.

Got this from AT&T for internet:
Starting June 9, 2024, we’re increasing the price of your internet plan by $5/mo. To help offset the impact of this change, we're also increasing the AutoPay and paperless billing discount.
Not enrolled in AutoPay and paperless billing?
You can save $5/mo. if you sign up and use a credit card as your AutoPay payment method or save $10/mo. if you use a debit card or bank account.

Enrolled in AutoPay and paperless billing but with a credit card?
You can save an extra $5/mo. on your internet plan by changing your payment method from a credit card to a debit card or bank account.

Already enrolled in AutoPay and paperless billing with a debit card or bank account?
You’re all set and you won’t see an increase in your monthly bill.
Increase history:
+ $5 Jan 23
+ $5 Sept 23
+ $5 June 24

This communication also goes with another trend we see of dissuading credit card usage. They would prefer direct withdrawal. Then they'll throw a bone. I guess that's better than charging for CC, which is gaining steam everywhere.

Got this from AT&T for internet:

Increase history:
+ $5 Jan 23
+ $5 Sept 23
+ $5 June 24

This communication also goes with another trend we see of dissuading credit card usage. They would prefer direct withdrawal. Then they'll throw a bone. I guess that's better than charging for CC, which is gaining steam everywhere.
Got that too: so annoying - triple increase. :mad: The only other provider option in our area is Comcast and they're higher $, plus I had bad experiences w/them. At least AT&T has been reliable. (Knock on wood.)

Will miss the cc points, but will probably switch to direct withdrawal. It's especially aggravating, as we don't have fiber in our region: so I have to keep paying higher rates for the dated DSL speeds while others nationwide get high speed fiber at the same price.

Got that too: so annoying - triple increase. :mad: The only other provider option in our area is Comcast and they're higher $, plus I had bad experiences w/them. At least AT&T has been reliable. (Knock on wood.)

Will miss the cc points, but will probably switch to direct withdrawal. It's especially aggravating, as we don't have fiber in our region: so I have to keep paying higher rates for the dated DSL speeds while others nationwide get high speed fiber at the same price.
Google Fiber services my address. This now makes GF the winner, although I get Max with AT&T. Is that worth it for me? I dunno. Time to start thinking about it.

Ok, maybe this doesn't go here, but it is one way to not inflate prices.
I bought the same SUNCO 6PK of LED lights 3 times, Feb 5, 2019, Sept 15, 2020,
and April 6, 2024. On the first order the price was $144.99, on the second order, the price dropped to $104.99 and the last order, the price was $59.99.
The first set had a full metal hood, stiff and well built, the second set had metal but the full hood was now a partial hood, the last order had no hood at all. it was held together by the plastic tubes the the LEDs are in. I'm somewhat unhappy with the last set, rather then the end having two connection points for the chain, it has one point. so the weight of the cord makes it difficult to make balance and hang level.
I should have suspected more cost cutting when the price was so low. I got what I paid for. And actually, I can use screws to secure it to the ceiling making it hang properly, so if the electronics have not been cheapened to the point where they fail in a year. $10 is very low price.
LED Lights 6pk.jpg

LED Lights 6pk.jpg

I just read that the only state where groceries are more expensive than Nevada is California. 3 years ago I was spending half of what I do now.

I just read that the only state where groceries are more expensive than Nevada is California. 3 years ago I was spending half of what I do now.

I have no data, but find that statistic difficult to believe. I've always assumed Hawaii had the highest grocery prices BECAUSE most of our food comes from a minimum of 2500 miles away by ship or aircraft. In season in the midwest I can sometimes buy a pound of fresh blueberries for the price I would pay in Hawaii for one ounce. Full disclosure: I don't buy fresh in Hawaii - only frozen so YMMV.

Groceries are not included in the inflation CPI though. Never understood why though.
Groceries ARE included in the CPI. Look at the attached latest CPI report (for March). Groceries are within the "Food" category. Consumer Price Index Summary - 2024 M03 Results See also Concepts : Handbook of Methods: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Inflation is sometimes discussed in terms of "Core Inflation", which strips out the food and fuel component, because those items are more volatile and can obscure the underlying inflation trend, both up and down.

I have no data, but find that statistic difficult to believe. I've always assumed Hawaii had the highest grocery prices BECAUSE most of our food comes from a minimum of 2500 miles away by ship or aircraft. In season in the midwest I can sometimes buy a pound of fresh blueberries for the price I would pay in Hawaii for one ounce. Full disclosure: I don't buy fresh in Hawaii - only frozen so YMMV.
Maybe they didn’t include Hawaii:)). Because Nevada is mostly desert we don’t grow much food.

Not an example of inflation, but an example of deflation?

I bought a two-pack of three ring binders last year:

4/30/23
Amazon Basics Economy 3 Ring Binder, Showcase View Binder with 3 Inch D-Ring, White, 2-Pack $18.40

I went to purchase the same thing today:

5/1/24
Amazon Basics Economy 3 Ring Binder, Showcase View Binder with 3 Inch D-Ring, White, 2-Pack $13.97

That's a 24% decrease in price.

But wait!

They're out of stock... :facepalm:

I just got my USAA home insurance renewal for July. It went up 51%. Time to shop around I guess.

I just got my USAA home insurance renewal for July. It went up 51%. Time to shop around I guess.
That's even worse than my 31% increase I got last week through American Family, although they doubled my wind & hail deductible to $2000 - I didn't have a choice.

Property tax up 8% with no changes in property. Not as bad as the 31% insurance hike but much higher than inflation, and these are my largest bills.

Back
Top Bottom