Examples of current inflation - add yours!

We had to cancel our trip to Ireland this year...why?

We booked the most of the trip last year but when we looked at booking our car rental...the price had tripled to over $3k for 12 days?!

And that wasn't including gas :(

A few examples from Palm Springs, CA:
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts used to go on sale here for $1.99/lb. Now a sale price is $2.99-$3.50.
- Farm raised Atlantic salmon was $9.99/lb regular price for years. Now $10.99-$11.99.
- I recently paid $7.49 for a 32 Oz carton of egg whites!
- Filling up our gas tank used to run $45-$55. Now $70-$75.
- Water bill used to be around $32/month. Now $55.
- Trash pickup was around $55/quarter. Now $88.
- A meal for two at a decent but not special occasion restaurant used to run us around $75-$90 including a glass of wine for each of us. Now more like $125-$150.
- Health insurance went up from $1,471/month for the two of us to $1,782. It was $670/month for both of us when we retired in December 2016.

Inflation is real. Fortunately much of our spending is discretionary. I feel sorry for lower income workers who are doing long commutes and fixed lower income seniors. These crazy prices for fuel, utilities and groceries have to really hurt.

Examples of current inflation - add yours!
Everything under the sun has been affected. Everything!!

What hasn’t gone up in price for us - yet: Verizon cell phone bill, Hulu or Discovery Plus, Comcast internet. I expect they will, eventually.

We don’t eat it but have seen the Costco hot dog with soft drink has not changed in price, still $1.50

I hear Dollar Tree is changing their store names to Dollar.25 Tree... :cool:

What hasn’t gone up in price for us - yet: ...... Comcast internet. ......
Comcast (Xfinity) raised my bill from $40 to $43. At renewal time I called and they lowered it back to $40.

A few examples from Palm Springs, CA:

- Health insurance went up from $1,471/month for the two of us to $1,782. It was $670/month for both of us when we retired in December 2016.

Assuming you are pre-medicare - a big part of the increases is the increases in *your* age increase. California is age based, unlike some other states like Maine.

I observed that as DH approached 65... His insurance was going up faster than mine or the kids. Then he got on medicare with a top of the line supplemental (much better that the HDHP he was on under CoveredCA) and we saved $300/month. Yay, medicare! In the meantime, I'm in my 60's now and insurance is jumping a lot each renewal. I expect the curve upward in price to be more for me each year till I hit medicare, than it will be for the kids.

The kids, despite being over 18 now, are still cheap.

Then they might need to rename it again if inflation keeps soaring as it has been.

Very true. Perhaps Dollar-Fifty Tree by year end :).

One thing that has not gone up in that store - greeting cards. Still $1 or $2 for $1, which is MUCH more reasonable than other stores. It is crazy to be paying $6+ elsewhere.

Ooh-ooh! Me next! I’ve got one!!

Our son just moved back 3 mo ago to the mainland from Hawaii citing a gallon of milk at $6. We’ll, let me tell you……DH & I are in HI now (visiting family) & that $6 was cheap compared to today’s $8.29 a gallon!! GULP! I think it’s going up faster than gas!! Are the cows on strike?? Haha!

I saw some prices dropping back down today at 99 Cents Only. Portobello mushrooms had gone from 99 cents to $1.49 and now they were back to 99 cents a pack, which is what they had been priced for years prior to 2022. Some other items, like pre-made salads, had signs marked "new lower price" with 25% reductions. Shiitake mushrooms were up to $1.99, they had been 99 cents for years, then $1.49. They are still quite the bargain at $1.99, so I'm not going to complain. They also had organic asparagus for $1.99 a bunch, and that is a good bargain based on our local prices as well.

I don't know what it means but I figure the "new lower price" signs aren't a bad thing. Maybe some grocery prices are starting to come down, or it could be that inflation has shoppers cutting back on more discretionary grocery items, and the surplus is going to 99CO. I'm curious what the next official CPI numbers will be.

Our son just moved back 3 mo ago to the mainland from Hawaii citing a gallon of milk at $6. We’ll, let me tell you……DH & I are in HI now (visiting family) & that $6 was cheap compared to today’s $8.29 a gallon!! GULP! I think it’s going up faster than gas!! Are the cows on strike?? Haha!

That is deflation, back in 2012 when we visited HI, I saw milk in the store and took a picture, as on sale it was over $10 per gallon:

Attachments

• DSCI0803.jpg
    DSCI0803.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 47
Assuming you are pre-medicare - a big part of the increases is the increases in *your* age increase. California is age based, unlike some other states like Maine.

I observed that as DH approached 65... His insurance was going up faster than mine or the kids. Then he got on medicare with a top of the line supplemental (much better that the HDHP he was on under CoveredCA) and we saved $300/month. Yay, medicare! In the meantime, I'm in my 60's now and insurance is jumping a lot each renewal. I expect the curve upward in price to be more for me each year till I hit medicare, than it will be for the kids.

The kids, despite being over 18 now, are still cheap.

I’m sure you’re right that part of it is age. Another big part of it is that ours is a grandfathered plan so there are no young, healthy new enrollees. Still, I didn’t expect it to go up 266% in 5 years.

What hasn’t gone up in price for us - yet: Verizon cell phone bill, Hulu or Discovery Plus, Comcast internet. I expect they will, eventually.

We don’t eat it but have seen the Costco hot dog with soft drink has not changed in price, still $1.50

Can confirm Costco hot dog from 2 weeks ago - and it's still the same size/quality (big and good) hot dog. Not only that but the (local) pandemic requirement for a Costco drink monitor to dispense drinks at the drink machine has been done away with. It's back to dispense your own drinks and refills (using same cup) and add condiments from dispenser, not a handful of packets. Life is good.

So now, on the forum, we've discovered, what, half a dozen items which have not increased. We'd better stop or we'll jinx ourselves! :facepalm:

Your son was likely buying his $6 milk ($5.89 two weeks ago) at Costco - (or maybe Sams - I rarely shop there.) I doubt it's gone up 2+ dollars since I left 2 weeks ago. BUT, in most regular grocery stores, (Safeway, Foodland, Times, etc.) it is around $8. Of course stores on Oahu are just like on the mainland, they have their loss-leaders from time to time like milk, soft drinks, etc. We DO live by the fliers on stuff we can't get at Costco.

Other than the milk, I hope you enjoyed your stay in our Island Paradise and had a wonderful time with family.:flowers:

Oil change and filter for the Harley... DIY... last years $56, Parts the other day $106.. same store.
French patio door, priced lasted year $688, paid $971 a couple weeks back.
Need another window for the house build, went from $138 to $189.
Our Cabinets we bought a while back have increased nearly $1400...
Our upcoming RV trip is looking to cost 3X our planned budget.

That is deflation, back in 2012 when we visited HI, I saw milk in the store and took a picture, as on sale it was over $10 per gallon:

Interesting. I've lived on Oahu for 14 years and have never seen this. Was it on another Island and at a "regular" grocery store (not Costco)? I imagine shipping by barge in a refer container is quite expensive. Virtually all shipments come to Oahu first and are then shipped by slow barge to outer Islands. IIRC we did have a surge in prices in about that time frame, possibly due to a fuel price run up. Memory fades, but, in general, the shipping company is free to add surcharges for fuel without PUC approval IIRC. So bulky, time-sensitive, refrigerated cargo gets hit the worst on prices for shipment. It's possible that milk was actually air-shipped, but I don't think I've ever heard of that. YMMV

My office was in walking distance to Costco (3 minutes walk) - I can't count the number of hotdogs and drinks that got over the years (1995 to 2018), too many. It is amazing that they can keep it at the same quality and $1.50.

My office was in walking distance to Costco (3 minutes walk) - I can't count the number of hotdogs and drinks that got over the years (1995 to 2018), too many. It is amazing that they can keep it at the same quality and $1.50.

And their $4.99 BBQ Chickens.

And their $4.99 BBQ Chickens.

Yeah, I always feel guilty 'cause after 3 X 2 various meals (chicken sandwich, chicken salad, salad with chicken, etc.) it's time to throw out the remainder and that's often quite a bit. Thought about making chicken soup, but by then, I'm OD'd on chicken. YMMV

Yeah, I always feel guilty 'cause after 3 X 2 various meals (chicken sandwich, chicken salad, salad with chicken, etc.) it's time to throw out the remainder and that's often quite a bit. Thought about making chicken soup, but by then, I'm OD'd on chicken. YMMV

My DW makes chicken broth out of those parts, we waste nothing but the bones. :)

I use Visible. It’s a Verizon company. Only $25 a month. Unlimited everything.

Back
Top Bottom