Examples of current inflation - add yours!

I received this email today from Verizon:

I got the same notice today. Not surprised, I read a couple of days ago that AT&T had announced a price increase of similar magnitude. I have no idea why it will be a separate charge.

I don't know their base price, but $12 per plan increase sounds like a lot!

DW and I use Consumer Cellular and pay about $50 for the two of us. YMMV

Our plan was $77 for 2 lines, so $12 is a bit over 15%. The price has been falling for a number of years, so it’s difficult to average out the $12, but it’s a big increpase and there are options. Consumer Cell is one, T Mobile another. I’ll start looking at options over the next couple of days.

I got the same notice today. Not surprised, I read a couple of days ago that AT&T had announced a price increase of similar magnitude. I have no idea why it will be a separate charge.

Our AT&T bill went up almost $10. We went ahead and paid it, but are reviewing options. We have looked at consumer cellular as they seem to be pretty good. I’m concerned that will change since a private equity group bought them.

8 pack of 12 oz. Sodas is now $6.99. It keeps going up as the regular price. We wait for sales and we scored 4 8 packs for $12 which comes out to $3 per 8 pack. I told DW if they can be on sale every couple weeks they could sell them at a lower price all the time. Some of this just doesn’t make sense. I drink 1 every few days and DW drinks a Dr Pepper over a couple of days so it’s not hard to hold out and it’s one of our small indulgences.

Locally if you ignore the bill they just assume you no longer have a pet.

Apparently, they acquired the cat information from our vet because I use a different name there and that's who they addressed the letter to. The city had a record of the rabies vaccine from our vet. I suppose if I stopped vaccinating my cat, the city would never know I had a pet, but I couldn't do that to my orange and white piece of fluff.

Thankfully, I am locked into my age 55+ $60 for two phones, unlimited everything package from T-mobile. Unlike GnG (gas and groceries) mobile service does not go up for me.

There are plenty of other mobile phone providers who have good deals. Verizon is like my Mega Bank in that both seem to think their lousy deals (low interest rates/high phone rates) are somehow not subject to market forces. Leave them.

https://clark.com/cell-phones/best-verizon-mvno/

Important Note: Verizon is hiking its prices with a new administrative fee in June 2022. If you’re currently on a Verizon plan and want to stay on its network, you can still avoid the price hikes by switching to one of the MVNOs below that runs on the same towers. You’ll find access to the same great network at great rates that not only help you avoid a bill increase but save each month over what you’re currently paying!

Our plan was $77 for 2 lines, so $12 is a bit over 15%. The price has been falling for a number of years, so it’s difficult to average out the $12, but it’s a big increpase and there are options. Consumer Cell is one, T Mobile another. I’ll start looking at options over the next couple of days.

Given the availability of low cost providers, that’s remarkable. DH and I both switched to low cost providers and so far it’s been good.

For yogurt, it’s amazing easy to make and much less expensive, if you’re inclined.

We get a slightly better deal as one of our retiree "benefits" (for now anyway) is a discount on Verizon plans. But we too will look at other options.

8 pack of 12 oz. Sodas is now $6.99. It keeps going up as the regular price. We wait for sales and we scored 4 8 packs for $12 which comes out to $3 per 8 pack. I told DW if they can be on sale every couple weeks they could sell them at a lower price all the time. Some of this just doesn’t make sense. I drink 1 every few days and DW drinks a Dr Pepper over a couple of days so it’s not hard to hold out and it’s one of our small indulgences.

Yep, local store has Coca-Cola 16.9 oz bottle size six packs on sale for $2.20 (normally $5.50). I bought 11 of the zero sugar variants so I am set for 2-3 months. This sale is still coming around about once every 2 months.

Side note, I see individual bottles selling for as much as $2.69 in some smaller stores/outfits. I think some of them wait for these sales to buy and then resell at the higher price.

Heh, heh, speaking of which, our bill just caught up with us (we paid ahead just to be certain.) We used 82 KWh and our charges (all 9 of them) come out to almost $45 which averages to almost 55 cents per KWh. Of course, a lot of the bill is not specifically charge/KWh.

So, the less we use, the more we pay per KWh (on average.) Next month should be even worse (better??) as we will have been gone the full month. The faster I run, the further I get behind.

YMMV

82 kWh/month or 2.7 kWh/day just for the fridge sounds about right.

And your total bill of $45 is about the same as the $42 we paid for our vacant 2nd home in the high-country boondocks. Out of that $42, the fixed charge is $31 already.

My pet peeve are eggs. WTH!! A dozen large eggs are not supposes to be almost 4 bucks

Right. At Costco, you can get the whole damn chicken for $5

Can you tell them, "Here's $5. I will take a live chicken and save you the hassle of cooking it"?

The chicken will pay you back in eggs in 2 weeks, after that it's pure profit.

Easysurfer can make an investment of $10 for 2 chicken, and be able to continue his 2-egg breakfast.

I dunno about making bread, but my wife does. It turns out that you don't save that much money with bread. I guess the stores buy flour in bulk, plus they make a lot in their big oven and that's more efficient.

Last edited:
Apparently, they acquired the cat information from our vet because I use a different name there and that's who they addressed the letter to. The city had a record of the rabies vaccine from our vet. I suppose if I stopped vaccinating my cat, the city would never know I had a pet, but I couldn't do that to my orange and white piece of fluff.

Our vet doesn’t report to the city. For many years I had 4 dogs and never licensed them. None of my friends do either. It’s just a excuse to grab money.

Can you tell them, "Here's $5. I will take a live chicken and save you the hassle of cooking it"?

The chicken will pay you back in eggs in 2 weeks, after that it's pure profit.

Easysurfer can make an investment of $10 for 2 chicken, and be able to continue his 2-egg breakfast.

I dunno about making bread, but my wife does. It turns out that you don't save that much money with bread. I guess the stores buy flour in bulk, plus they make a lot in their big oven and that's more efficient.

#1 daughter thought she would do that. She raised chicks almost to adulthood until the neighborhood dogs tore into their pen and ate them. So much for counting your chicks before they are grown, I guess. YMMV

We're pork loin roasts always cheap? $2.11/lb seems like a good deal for protein.

#1 daughter thought she would do that. She raised chicks almost to adulthood until the neighborhood dogs tore into their pen and ate them. So much for counting your chicks before they are grown, I guess. YMMV

Should have bought chickens and a shotgun imo.

Heh, heh, the neighborhood strays would hardly have been worth eating. :yuk:

I don't like off leash dogs having had several close calls with aggressive ones. :) Probably wouldn't eat them though, just drag them back and toss the corpse on whatever neighbor's yard it came from.

I have never tried the 15 yr, I do buy a bottle of the 12yr Glenlivit and that was about $40 and that was nearly 3 years ago. $40 is a splurge buy for me. LOL! The $17 to $22 Scotch like Teachers and Famous Grouse are always on my shelf. So far not much inflation as those can still be found in my area near that same price point

admin fees are some of the most bogus fees ever. They just do it because they can. Pure profit for these companies. That is why we dumped paid tv nearly 23 years ago. AM radio is still free and if we want to watch tv there is PLUTOTV or ROKUTV or internet archive all free as long as you have internet. Of course internet has plenty of fees as well our windstream internet has several federal fees and some state and city fees, no admin fees that i can see, but i suppose eventually some big wig Windstream executive will have the brilliant idea to tack one on.

admin fees are some of the most bogus fees ever. They just do it because they can. Pure profit for these companies. That is why we dumped paid tv nearly 23 years ago. AM radio is still free and if we want to watch tv there is PLUTOTV or ROKUTV or internet archive all free as long as you have internet. Of course internet has plenty of fees as well our windstream internet has several federal fees and some state and city fees, no admin fees that i can see, but i suppose eventually some big wig Windstream executive will have the brilliant idea to tack one on.

Yeah, I recently mentioned my latest electric bill - there were 9 individual entries and only one of them reflected our actual usage. YMMV

Yeah, I recently mentioned my latest electric bill - there were 9 individual entries and only one of them reflected our actual usage. YMMV

My Ooma monthly fee used to be about $5 a month. It was all various fees and taxes (is there a difference?) from government institutions. Not to be outdone, my state has raised the taxes/fees over the years to about $6.70 last year. Now, new higher rates bring the taxes/fees to $7.50.

We're pork loin roasts always cheap? $2.11/lb seems like a good deal for protein.

Why are back ribs so much then? At Costco they were like $3.29 a year ago, weren't they? Now over $4. And isn't the loin what they cut off to create ribs? Why is the bony part so much more than the meaty part?

If you live anywhere that has Astound internet, they're offering 110 Mbps for $19.95. No other fees, just 19.95.

They bought out WOW here in Indiana a month after we signed up. It works fine, and that is more speed than anyone needs unless they have four gamer grandkids.

Raising chickens is a crappy job. I did it for two years and that was enough. I can get free range eggs from the farmer down the road for $3/dozen--up from $2/dozen last year.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom