Favorite cartoon while growing up

There was Snuffles the Floating Dog, he was cool. Points at his mouth, gets a treat, and floats up on his back.

I should clarify that when I said Rocky & Bullwinkle, I meant their whole family of features:
Rocky & Bullwinkle (often versus Boris, Natasha and Fearless Leader)
Fractured Fairy Tales (narrated by Hans Conried)
Peabody's Improbable History (with Sherman and the Wayback Machine)
Dudley Do-Right of the Mounties
Mr. Know-It-All
Aesop & Son

The cool thing about this show is that they were so full of inside jokes aimed at grownups that people of any age could enjoy them.

And the Poetry Corner

Heckle and Jeckle
Tom Terrific and Mighty Manfred the Wonderdog
Gumby and Pokey (not really a cartoon, but I liked it)
Krazy Kat

Heckle and Jeckle?

Yep. I think that's them. Didn't see them too much. They were not over-exposed cartoon actors....haha. But they made me laugh.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Barney Rubble, what an actor! (Michael Keaton, Night Shift)

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I remember a religious cartoon that was on the Lutheran channel on Sunday, Davy and Goliath. Also some cartoon with a square jawed man--Chuck Connors look alike--and young boy?

I grew up in Chicagoland where so many of these cartoons came on the Frazier Thomas after school show, in between the antics of bunny rabbit.

The cool thing about this show is that they were so full of inside jokes aimed at grownups that people of any age could enjoy them.

+1

Very True. I remember when Boris decided not to shoot up the US Congress with 'Goof Gas' because "somebody already has". :LOL:

I always looked forward to Space Ghost and Speed Racer for some reason.

A bit later, I enjoyed Battle of the Planets even through it was probably targeted toward a younger audience. A bunch of us used to watch it after school.

Not sure these are any more favorite than the ones already mentioned, just different.

I didn't watch many cartoons but I do recall watching the Jetsons and The Flintstones on occasions.

Last edited:

Very True. I remember when Boris decided not to shoot up the US Congress with 'Goof Gas' because "somebody already has". :LOL:

Yes, and they weren't the only ones. Other cartoon series also had the occasional grownup humor (some even a bit risqué) woven in so discretely that I remained clueless until catching reruns as a full-fledged adult. I'm reminded of one particular episode of the roadrunner & Wile E. Coyote.

All the classic Warner Brothers cartoons (Bugs, Daffy, Roadrunner, etc)

Rocky, Bullwinkle, and the rest of the Jay Ward bunch.

Not really a cartoon, but I really liked the "Supermarionation" of the Thunderbirds.

Fireball XL5, now that was a show! I loved the rail launcher.

The worst decisions are made when angry or impatient.

Rocky and Bullwinkle Show, Popeye, Deputy Dawg, and Astro Boy.

How about Magilla Gorilla? I dunno why that one came to mind. I went to Youtube and played the intro. I guess it's been 50 years since I've heard it, and I still remembered it.

I should clarify that when I said Rocky & Bullwinkle, I meant their whole family of features:
Rocky & Bullwinkle (often versus Boris, Natasha and Fearless Leader)
Fractured Fairy Tales (narrated by Hans Conried)
Peabody's Improbable History (with Sherman and the Wayback Machine)
Dudley Do-Right of the Mounties
Mr. Know-It-All
Aesop & Son

But, you say there were inside jokes?

And the Poetry Corner

Yeah, that about says it all. As I recall, I watched these cartoons starting in high school and through college.

I remember a religious cartoon that was on the Lutheran channel on Sunday, Davy and Goliath. Also some cartoon with a square jawed man--Chuck Connors look alike--and young boy?

I grew up in Chicagoland where so many of these cartoons came on the Frazier Thomas after school show, in between the antics of bunny rabbit.

That would be Clutch Cargo.

Hot dogs! Hamburgers! Spaghetti and meatballs!

Big fan of the Wiley Coyote but for background art it was all earlier Tom and Jerry. The way the artists spent time on the molding details, the shadows from the furniture, the slippers and broom of the maid - fantastic!

Oh, yes, Clutch Cargo, Spinner and Paddlefoot! There was also Diver Dan.

Back
Top Bottom