Favorite Sandwich: Hot & Cold

I just luv a well-made hot Reuben sandwich.

When I wanna a cold one, a good BLT hits the spot, although egg salad on simple white bread is a close third fave.

What are your favorite hot and cold sandwiches? (Got a recipe you'd like to share?)

simple is best. double-cheese but otherwise plain cheeseburger and PB&PP (peach preserves). tossn crinkle-cut fries and i'll follow you anywhere.

PB&J (it's been over a year though), Bacon on toast (can't remember how many years ago), and pastrami on rye ([-]possibly at a wedding, or else maybe not since the 70s.[/-] eh, probably over 5 years ago). I may bring back PB&J but I'm too health conscious for the others.

Last edited:
I have been on a quest for The Perfect French Dip since I was six. I've come close to finding it several times, but usually it's the bread that tanks the experience. To be honest, I'm really hoping I never reach the end of the quest, as it instantly solves the "what do I order" question for me at a new restaurant.

Second favorite is a gyro. Soooo good.

For cold? A homemade BLT with home-grown tomatoes and lettuce, thick-cut semicrisp bacon on homemade whole wheat bread is really hard to beat. I am also very partial to the Kip Curry sandwich at Panos (sandwich chain somewhat like Panera) in Belgium -- essentially a crusty French roll filled with curried chicken salad (without any sweet things in it --- just shredded chicken, curry mayonnaise, and maybe some diced onion or celery. No grapes, apples, or raisins need apply).

When I was a kid, I would also make a sandwich I'd read about in the Trixie Belden mystery novels. You take two pieces of whole wheat bread and spread both well with butter. Then put peanut butter, apricot jam, sliced banana and drizzled honey on and enjoy. It's sweet but delicious.

What about the Sandwich That Got Away? Once I was traveling in London and stopped to pick up a sandwich in the financial district. One of the men in front of me got a bacon-avocado sandwich. It was on a crusty roll and was about 1/4 inch of mayonnaise topped with a solid 2 inches of waves of crispy bacon, then topped with another 2 or three inches of ripe sliced and slightly crushed avocado, then another 1/4-inch layer of mayonnaise before the top roll. It looked like a heart attack just waiting to happen, and also delicious. I regret that I didn't try it on the spot. That chance is never going to come again.

Excellent reply to my OP--with some original sandwich recipes! Mmm, mmm, yum!

Many years ago when I was regularly working in NYC, I had DW, DS and DD come down on spring break... they would tour during the day while I worked and I took some time off too.

One night we went to Carnegie Deli for dinner and DS ordered a pastrami sandwich. I'll never forget the look in his eyes when he first saw the sandwich.

Note: picture is from the internet and not the sandwich that was delivered to DS, but is very similiar.

13_09_27-verdini_carnegie-deli-182-2--55_custom-013a37fd2cf43f277df8031cf2f91025281179b5.jpg
Oh yes, I remember those Carnegie Deli sandwiches. Fortunately they had a more normal sized corned beef/pastrami, that a normal person could consume on the menu as well. It was fun though watching the giant size come out of the kitchen. No mouth is big enough, not to mention stomach large enough, to consume that sandwich.

Golden sunsets,

Post-college, I worked at BFGoodrich. Their office cafeteria had this on regular rotation at the 'sandwich station'. I enjoyed these sandwiches very much...salty AND crunchy. YUM!

omni
Ahhh. So it wasn't just my Mom's invention.[emoji14]

I remember, as a little kid growing up in NJ for a while, a big adventure for us was a day trip to NYC.

I was mesmerized by the automat (Horn & Hardart’s maybe?). It didn’t matter what sandwich or food those machines spit out at you, just the experience was magical.

A great Banh Mi is another option.

So much this! But only if the baguette is perfect.

In terms of cold: I think fresh mozzarella, tomato & basil on hero but I'm also a sucker for a bagel with lox and cream cheese.

Oh my goodness. Hot - Toasted Italian (I can get it almost any shop and usually decent at most places), or Roast Beef Po Boy if I am down south.

But when I am on island in Maui, 808 Deli, or my hometown Alleycats. 808 is the roast beef and Alley is the Gyro...although that is borderline wrap.

Cold - leftover Thanksgiving turkey sandwich with a little mayo, stuffing, cranberry sauce on wheat bread.

Hot -- meatball sub from Wawa anytime I can get to the East Coast.

Hot - a sub from my favorite pizza restaurant - back "home."

Cold - the other half of the sub from my favorite pizza restaurant stored in the fridge over night. YMMV

I like toast and butter so much that maybe a butter sandwich is my favorite. Also grilled cheese.

Any love for the fluffernutter? While not a favorite, I do enjoy it at times. I still can't get the fluffernutter song out of my head.:)

Just talking about the hot one today. Pastrami but it needs to be on the sourdough bread from my favorite Detroit deli or deli store that sells the same one.

Don't really have a cold one.

I was reminded by another post, I miss the Coney's from Lafayette Coney Island in Detroit. The Loose is great too. That's hamburger meat on a hot dog bun with mustard, chili and onions. A great late night treat too.

Hot: hard to choose between a good gyro and a tuna melt on rye with swiss
Cold: I grew up on PB and banana but have to say a BLT is pretty awesome!

We have a few traditions. The first tomato from one of the 4 plants we grow in our little yard goes for a BLT
Written into our marriage contract is when I go to the neighboring town to work on the switch engine, I MUST bring back gyros and baklava from Yanni's.

For those from South Jersey:
Cold: Chick's Deli (Cherry Hill) Italian Sub

Last edited:
Cold: Italian hoagie (oil, no mayo or vinegar).
Hot: Cheesesteak with onions and mushrooms.

Both preferably on an Amoroso's roll.

Any love for the fluffernutter? While not a favorite, I do enjoy it at times. I still can't get the fluffernutter song out of my head.:)

Thanks for the memories.:greetings10: Once I tried a fluffernutter, I skipped the bread and just ate the mix. I got real creative and added Reese's Pieces to the mix but didn't know what to call it so YMMV.

Once I gave up w*rk for a living, I also retired from eating sandwiches. 3 sandwiches a day for 35 years, well, I needed a break. But after a 3-4 year hiatus, any sandwich will do, as long as there is NOT a fresh tomato slice on it. I can can eat any thing with cooked tomatoes, but even if a mistaken tomato slice is removed from my sandwich, a super human gag reflex occurs. Been that way since I was a mere child.

Hot - I don’t eat them anymore, but I love a hot beef or turkey sandwich. The ones with mashed potatoes and the entire sandwich smothered in gravy.

Same here! But after I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes 6 years ago, I mostly forgo any unnecessary bread, so I go the platter route most of the time.

Hot: don't know. Cold: Italian hoagie with everything except hot peppers. Mayo on the bread. Oil and vinegar on top. Lettuce, tomato, and onion nice and cold. The bread is 51% of the deal, no doubtaboutit. Fresh but with a hard exterior that's almost hard enough to cut the roof of your mouth, but doesn't. I'm not going to identify the place because it's already way too packed, but it's a divey place in NJ, take out only. I make a point of hitting the place whenever I am out that way.

Last edited:
Cold: A BMT (essentially an Italian cold cut) from Blimpie’s, the now defunct sub sandwich chain. Freshly sliced meat and cheese for every sub. Watching the slicer and assembly of the sandwich added to the enjoyment.

Hot: Probaby a French dip or a Rueben. First time I ever had a Rueben was at a fancy restaurant on my first ever job interview as a college graduate. I didn’t know what it was and ordered anyway. It was delicious but kinda messy. What a stupid thing to do.

Hot - here on the Chesapeake Bay, it’s soft crab sandwich, couple hotel sized crabs on bun, little slaw, Dijon Mayo. Rinse with a Natty Boh and repeat. Love my living on the bay....

Cold- Ruben, ya it’s toasted, let it be!!!! :)

Cold - Really like a club sandwich with extra Mayo and pickles. Close to a BLT only better.

Hot - I don’t eat them anymore, but I love a hot beef or turkey sandwich. The ones with mashed potatoes and the entire sandwich smothered in gravy.

Also my favorite hot sandwich, usually turkey. Put a piece of whole grain bread on a plate, put pieces of turkey on bread, ladle on gravy. lay another piece of bread on top, ladle on more gravy, cut sandwich diagonal, put mashed potatoes in between two pieces and cover potatoes with gravy. I always have it on Thanksgiving day and wife usually cooks turkey one or two more times a year.

Back
Top Bottom