First Man on the Moon - Where were you?

Washington, DC, during the time I worked on Capitol Hill. Remember being in a small club/bar place there--being the date of the solo guitar/singer/entertainer guy and flirting with the owner that night, too. The entertainer did not find that amusing of me, by the way. I was young and into having fun during that time....ahhhh...the carefree days (wish they were here now)!
Anyway, we all stopped the music and watched the landing on t.v. for an hour or so. It was pretty amazing, but so beyond anything I had any comprehension of it was almost unreal to me at that time.

I can't believe no one has said "the earth". :)

I watched a program last night showing the moon landing. It sent shivers up and down my spine.

I feel inclined to post this....
sFl_USA.gif
You and me, babe! :clap:

9/11 marked the most fearful day of my life. I felt horribly exposed that day and months afterwards. The feeling of exposure is not as intense now, but it's still there.
I was not fearful. I was mad. Still am. I tried to re-enlist right then. (Don't tell my wife.) Too damned old, though. If I expanded on my true feelings here, I would be run off the board. Let's just say I would still re-up today if I could.

gypsy

Speaking of Buzz Aldrin, he's still my hero! :bat: :ROFLMAO:

YouTube - Buzz Aldrin Punches Bart Sibrel

A bit of context. Bart is one of the "moon landing was hoax" nut cases. Bart had trespassed on Buzz property and stalked bunch of astronauts. Not surprisingly the LA DA declined to press charges against Buzz

The lighter side of Buzz is shown here with Snoop Dog
Making of Buzz Aldrin's Rocket Experience w/ Snoop Dogg and Talib Kweli from Buzz Aldrin, FOD Team, Ryan Perez, and Snoop Dogg - Video

Oprah had on Holocaust survivors once years ago on her show. Tons and tons of people called in to say that the Holocaust NEVER happened, also. Oprah drug out her Producer (who was Jewish) to show how upset this made her employee. Where these nut-jobs get these ideas I'll never know, but they seem to be all over. The equivalent of the guys who stand at the corner saying the world is coming to an end I guess. Nut-jobs!

Speaking of Buzz Aldrin, he's still my hero! :bat: :ROFLMAO:

heh-heh - maybe Buzz should go on "The View", Whoppie needs some sense knocked into her...

YouTube - Whoopi Goldberg discusses the faked moon landing conspiracy

She acknowledges that the film with the fake moon landing conspiracy theory was "just a movie", but she actually wonders about a couple points ...

Whoopi: Who is holding the camera? Geez, you've never seen a tripod?

Whoopi: The flag is rippled, but there is no air on the moon? Geez, the engineers thought about that Whoopi, and had the flag formed into that position. Ask before showing your stupidity (and I will call it stupidity, not ignorance. A smart person who is ignorant of a fact would ask the question to find out, a stupid person would think that they "know something" based on their ignorance).

And if she studied the moon landing, she would learn that the blast from the LEM taking off blew the flag over. Now, if they faked it, you think they would do that (one of a million reasons it's stupid to seriously discuss the idea it was faked)?

-ERD50

You and me, babe! :clap:
Thanks gypsy...:)
I was not fearful. I was mad. Still am. I tried to re-enlist right then. (Don't tell my wife.) Too damned old, though. If I expanded on my true feelings here, I would be run off the board. Let's just say I would still re-up today if I could.

gypsy
I flew not longer after 9/11. Believe me, if someone tried to take the flight over, I'd be one of the first to take them down. If you were on my flight, I know they wouldn't stand a chance....;)

When Armstrong first stepped on the surface of the moon I was having sex. I planned it that way, believe it or not.
I got it, I got it:

That's one small schtup for man...

I was in a hospital room in Poughkeepsie, NY with a diabetic leg wound infection and tethered to an IV. I was 15. I was the only patient on my floor who was interested. I had about 15 nurses and staff in my room watching. My roommate slept through the whole thing.

Mike D.

That's just a sad comment, MikeD, regarding our citizens. Hopefully, the medical profession wasn't interested, because they were way too busy saving lives. Gosh, I hope so, anyway.

I was in Douthat State Park, VA. - Allegheny Mtns.

I was a carefree 12 year old playing in the campground with friends when, someone said, "Hey, we're landing on the moon!"

Someone had strung up a B&W TV - how I don't know - as there was no electricity at the campsites at that time. I remember a grainy picture with aluminum foil tethered to the antennae.

Ironically, I just spent a week in that same park with my family - 40 years later....in many ways - incomprehensible change since 1969.

Now that I think about it, the only moon mission I have vivid memories about was the last one -- Apollo 17 -- in December 1972. I was 7 years old. I can remember my mom was working part-time as a bank teller at the time, and I used to go to a neighbor's house after school until she was off. I recall the "Last Apollo" coverage rather well during the day while I'd play with blocks and Tinkertoys and stuff in front of the TV.

I was 16 and at my grandparents' lake cottage in Bremen, IN. I remember that even though it was nighttime I still had on my swimsuit with a baby blue terrycloth coverup over it. After the actual landing and Armstrong's first step on the moon, I walked outside and just stared up at the moon in wonder. My grandmother asked if I could see Armstrong's feet hanging off the moon!!

I like the map thing! My family had just moved back to the States from the UK and were staying in a hotel until our house was ready to move into. We were right about here:

Attachments

• Moon.png
    Moon.png
    1 MB · Views: 21
I was 11 years old; watching at home; asked Neal to take a picture of my house from the moon with his instamatic...

Attachments

• MY HOUSE FROM THE MOON.jpg
    MY HOUSE FROM THE MOON.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 23
I was 11 years old; watching at home; asked Neal to take a picture of my house from the moon with his instamatic...

Naturally, Westernskies takes the map thingy to a new level;)

I was 13, watching it my grandparents' house. In that era, I wanted to be an astronaut, so I found it exciting but not the huge accomplishment that my grandfather found it to be.

Happy Moon Landing Day!

Where were you on that day?

I was home and watched the landing, stomach churning, earlier in the day.

I had a job at a department store and I was scheduled to work during the time the first moon walk would take place. The store was dead, maybe a dozen customers in all at the most. Employees outnumbered customers probably 10 to 1.

The head guy realizing that amount of money the store was losing came around and asked for volunteers to go home early before he ordered people to clock out. I volunteered and was gone in 60 seconds. Thankfully, I got home to watch the first walk on the moon that took place earlier than it was scheduled. As I drove home I looked at the busy four lane boulevard (Ventura Blvd in the San Fernando Valley for those who know the place.) Normally it would be full of traffic on a sunny Sunday afternoon. There wasn’t a car on the road within a quarter mile of me in any direction.

Hmmm, within feet of the location where I am typing this. (I inherited my parents' home, and we are currently living there.)

I was watching the landing on my parents tv in the living room. I didn't have a huge interest in it, but my parents were excited about it and wanted me to watch it as it was history.

I was at the Boy Scout National Jamboree at Farragut State Park in Idaho. We watched a delayed broadcast that evening at the ampitheatre as Neil Armstrong gave a shout out to the Scouts. One of the best weeks of my life.

We were at the family cabin, so Mom took us across the lake, and then we walked to the village to watch the B&W tv in the bar.
The bar was really a converted house, so it was like a living room, we sat on the floor.
After the moon walk , we walked back to the lake and boated back to our island.
As the boat crossed the lake, l looking up at the moon in wonder, thinking there is a person on the moon right now !

According to my mother, I was propped up in bed watching TV and being told how historic it was. I was 2 months old. A kid in my class was born on the day and got the first name Neil, and middle name Armstrong.

holy necro bump batman!

(i was a few weeks old so don't really remember)

Andrews AFB housing, 11 yrs old... I don't really remember the gravity of the situation !!!!

I was in the living room with my whole family. I was thrilled, had been following the mission closely. Uncle Walter was just as excited as anyone! I remember puzzling over the silly glitch that left out the "a" and turned Neil's word's into "That's one small step for ** man ..." It didn't make sense until NASA revealed the communications glitch had dropped the "a." It gave me a lasting respect for the importance of getting wording right! So far, NASA has resisted the temptation to restore the "a." (If it is really there, and Neil didn't drop it himself out of nervousness).

Have always been thrilled about space travel, although my deepest soul affirms that we are creatures of this earth, our true home!

I still have my hometown newspaper from that walk, wrapped in plastic, with the headline, "Two Walk, Work on Moon." What a day!

Back
Top Bottom