First Man on the Moon - Where were you?

I was approximately 25 feet from where I am right now - in the Old Homestead. The rooms were all configured differently back then. Since, DW (and I) tore out all the walls and redid everything internally. BUT, I can still picture what it looked like, where the TV sat and where we sat. It was an experience for the ages.

I was 14 and a total space nut. Eyes glued to the TV. Collected the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo patches in cereal boxes. My aunt in Apollo, PA, sent me a first day of issue cover for the Apollo 11 landing--a treasured keepsake.

-BB

I was at the Boy Scout National Jamboree at Farragut State Park in Idaho. We watched a delayed broadcast that evening at the ampitheatre as Neil Armstrong gave a shout out to the Scouts. One of the best weeks of my life.
My Dad was a Troop Leader in Eastern WA / North ID in the late 80s / early 90s. I remember a jamboree when they were playing "We Didn't Start the Fire" and everyone had their lighters lit at night like a concert. Good times.

It was visiting day at Sleepaway camp.

Watching every moment from home, where I had insisted we postpone vacation so I wouldn't miss anything.

I was about 20 yrs at the time working part time on a school break as manager of the pool and restaurant of a country club. Not a big deal. It was more like a Walmart greeter at the front desk. I had a small portable TV to watch.

Cheers!

Dunno about the landing, but around the time they launched, I was being conceived. The way Grandmom phrased it, she and Granddad went down to Florida to see the rocket launch, and that was about the only time Mom would've had the house to herself!

So I guess you could say I was Mom & Dad's little moon-shot :p

Dunno about the landing, but around the time they launched, I was being conceived. The way Grandmom phrased it, she and Granddad went down to Florida to see the rocket launch, and that was about the only time Mom would've had the house to herself!

So I guess you could say I was Mom & Dad's little moon-shot :p

TMI TMI TMI :LOL:

One of our long-time neighbors who was an electrical engineer for approx. 40 years, was part of the team which worked on the development of the lunar module (at Grumman on Long Island). His education included Brooklyn Tech High School, City College of New York, and a B.S. in Electrical Engineering from Manhattan College in the Bronx. His employers included the U.S. Army, Sperry Gyroscope, and Grumman [Aerospace Corporation] but (per his kids) he considered his work on the module development and support the highlight of his career. He was very good friends with DF (he typically would just open a door to the house and shout for DF) and spent a lot of time at our house. He routinely rescued DF from repair projects which were over his (DF's) head. He was very down to earth, a kind man, had dry sense of humor, and was absolutely brilliant. We were not "in his league" but enjoyed his stories.

Back
Top Bottom