forgot to mail will to attorney

stargazer08

Recycles dryer sheets
DH and I had estate planning documents (will, POA, health care POA etc) drawn up in 2006. In the process of moving, I have come across both copies...which means we never mailed off a copy back to the lawyer. Does this mean these signed documents aren't official? I'm somewhat embarassed to call the attorney (who was paid in full) to ask this question. I'm thinking I should just mail it back almost 2 years later and see what happens.

I just wonder if these kinds of documents are "officially" filed somewhere or if having a signed copy where the kids know how to retrieve is sufficient. Somehow this pile of stuff got buried under tons of other paper in my crappy filing system. :rolleyes:

If properly executed under the laws of your state, you should be fine. Some states allow you to file the will with the courts. I don't know if any state actually requires you to file the will before you die. Seems unlikely, but who knows.

Call the lawyer. This stuff happens all the time.

Thanks Martha. This is really making me feel incompetent. I will take care of this tomorrow...no more procrastination.

I once wrote my estimate tax checks, put them in the envelope, and put the stamp on, but instead of mailing them, I absent-mindedly filed them in the file drawer. Had to pay a penalty.

Back
Top Bottom