Right to farm law-dealing with idiot city worker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to point out, especially for those for whom English may be a second language, that there is a distinct difference in the meaning of the phrase "buy a farm" vs "buy the farm". :)

Yes I am ESL, but my comprehensive skill is better than the primary language idiot.

And I know the difference of "buy a farm" vs "buy the farm"

And I wont buy either.

I will buy a land and build a farm.

Do not surprised if your chickens turn up missing some day. If they escape, then they are open season to anyone who finds them on their property. We have a saying out here in REAL farm country: S,S,S. (Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up)

And because the majority says right, still doesnt mean right.

I didnt want to argue for no reason, so let it go. and I googled it now, I am right.

No, you are not necessarily right if you are presuming Google agrees with you. Google is wrong often. I would trust a paid professional long before I trusted Google. But you go ahead and see what the IRS has to say when you file taxes based on Google and not a professional agent.

Fascinating discussion!

Did you read this Missouri state material that you posted? Note it was written for people who might buy property near bona fide existing farms so they understand what they are getting into, not for people who want to turn non-farmland into farmland. One link within it says:

My lot is about the same size as your 7500 sf lot and my house, driveway, sidewalk, deck, etc. take up more than one-fourth of the property, so you may not even meet that minimum of using three-fourths of it.

But also in your link:

So according to the bolded sentence, apparently local law can indeed regulate the use of allowable activities and conditions on your land regardless of your interpretation of farmland.

thank you for the reply. this is what I want to hear some points.

Actually, it will be 3/4 for my farming area for my house.

Yes I heard the local law can win over that too. Thats why I was asking here.

But I digged up some usda websites too, so farming is more encouraged rather than discouraged.

So I will get more research to prepare. thanks.

Do not surprised if your chickens turn up missing some day. If they escape, then they are open season to anyone who finds them on their property. We have a saying out here in REAL farm country: S,S,S. (Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up)

Actually, that happened already. I lost 2 hens already. I guess while I was moving my coop, the fence ziptie must have broken. so one hen was gone left some feathers. It would be a raccoon or a fox.

I didnt know there was a fox around here. But one neighbor from my street knocked my door one day said she knows the fox here around even before I got my chicks, and she just saw the fox on the day, and wanted to let me know to protect my chickens.

So I had to buy hens, and I couldnt see the coop, and the seller just brought the hens. After I came back home, when I see them their toe nails were almost one inch long, so it caused their feet deformed etc, and caused my chickens sick later etc.

Thats why I prefer raise my own chickens. my chickens exercise everyday helping my woodchip garden. So even egg york is better.

I have (thankfully) never had to appear in court for any reason to defend myself, but even with that lack of experience, common sense tells me that:

1. going in angry with a (self-admitted) hard-headed attitude;

2. describing all the officers and officials as idiots and stupid and wrong (when they were just doing their jobs);

3. willfully ignoring any rules and regulations you don't like because you are special and the rules just don't apply to you; and

4. a history of hostility towards neighbors

is not the way to win the case.

The property is described as 7500 square feet. Now, I am mathematically challenged, but my friend Google tells me that this equates to 0.17 acres.

If I had a residential neighbor who lived on that size plot, who had a "mountain" of wood chips in their front yard, and an entire yard consisting of wood chips, and "two large greenhouses," and vegetation growing right up to the fence line, and farmyard animals that are loud, smelly, and attractive to predators, I would be on the phone to the city too. The OP's neighbors did not sign up to live next to a "farm" - not even a "practice" one.

I agree with another poster - most people try to avoid confrontation, and the neighbors who are telling the OP that they "love" the chickens and have no complaints are lying. Why would they be willing to risk telling this hard-headed, hostile neighbor the truth to her face? I wouldn't, and I am one of the most straightforward people I know - in this case it wouldn't be worth it to me.

Well, I am not calling all the officer idiot. There was a policer ticketed me. he acted correctly. I see this idiot officer is not familiar with gardening. He doesnt know what kind tree is or plants etc. He is from health dept so see all things as germ. I got my RN education here, so I see all the germ theory but that is not right.

And what is wrong having two large greenhouses? And like said in my city regulation says ok for berry tree around fence line too. So he doesnt know all the rules and not familiar with the right to farm law. I get it. But his attitude was wrong, thats why I am calling him idiot. He has to act based on the written rules. But he was making things up by just saying.

Actually, I was in front of prosecutor to tell i want it court case. And what she said it is based on each city rule written. And like I said, there is no written rule for my city. It is not my english issue. The backyard chicken facebook in my area, they help to encourage chickening, and telling my city doesnt have no rooster rule.

And I felt he knew he is in trouble when we were in front of the prosecutor. literally, there is no written part. But he made the application form that way.

Well, if they lie, it is their choice. I can't help with that. The neighbor across my street, she can be the best victim in your horror story, since she has to see the mountain all the time. But she offered voluntarily first to write a letter to judge.

Why am I hard headed? because there is so much abuse. without that, I get things for others, not for me. so after FIRE, I totally became to put myself first.

I want to move to nature. Do I care much about my current neighbors? Nah... Do I have to give up my joy for them? Nah..

after years of nursing job including hospice, this US culture make people all mental problem. I see all that fake smiling for us not for oneself. They have to just follow what is told, even though it is not what they want. They have to lie for others etc. after I realized that, I stand up for myself more and became hard headed more. honestly have to admit, FIRE with mulltimillion would made me more arrogant.

Last edited:
"retire to nature" you certainly have the spirit to get the farm going from raw land to a working farm. Its going to take a lot of effort. I hope you consider buying a farm that you can make the improvements to rather than trying to build it all. I also suggest getting it now rather than practicing farming in the city. Life is what you do now while dreaming about the future.

"retire to nature" you certainly have the spirit to get the farm going from raw land to a working farm. Its going to take a lot of effort. I hope you consider buying a farm that you can make the improvements to rather than trying to build it all. I also suggest getting it now rather than practicing farming in the city. Life is what you do now while dreaming about the future.

Thank you for the comment. you are possibly right. I guess I can buy hobby farming property etc. but for farming in general to sell products. I will farm for my own consumption only. So I was thinking buying a exist farming is buying too much structure etc.

I mentioned earlier, I finally decide which state will go. And even I am thinking 1031 exchange.

Like I wanted to practice, I built solar system and grey water system etc. So now I have some plan how to build a house etc.

I had to take some time to confirm for my next direction.

And I want to buy earliest to make my soil to good quality. it takes time.

Last edited:
If OP wants to farm, they need to buy some farmland.

'Practicing' farming on 0.17 acres (which is even less land after allowing for the house, driveway, etc) is like me saying I'm going to 'practice' building an entire subdivision of homes by building a single Lincoln Log home.

51jaay0ZjFL._SL500_.jpg

-ERD50

Fascinating discussion!
Well, I have not seen that screen name and avatar for quite a while (4 or so posts in the past year?). So yes, an interesting thread indeed to get a post from you!

Hope all is well with you and your family!

-ERD50

It appears there is currently no HOA in place in the community.

It would be ironic if the OP's "practice farm" results in the establishment of an HOA.

:popcorn:
(plain and unseasoned, so any spillage can be eaten by the chickens :)).

It appears there is currently no HOA in place in the community.

It would be ironic if the OP's "practice farm" results in the establishment of an HOA.

Nah...
I chose my city because house size in SFH is small even though it is not so good area.

My street is cul de sac. Most of them are renters.

the other side of next door owner didnt like it. saying I am doing it because he is black, huh? Here we go another nonsense racism. I am doing it because I like doing it.

He said he is black but pretty rich, so I said I am a multimillonaire but I like farming. And another nonsense said I need to buy his house because he knows I have many houses. I said you are not nice about my farming, I wont be nice you either. He didnt go further and left.

The current renter in the house is fine with my chicken. maybe lying, but he clearly said he is enjoying them.

:popcorn:
(plain and unseasoned, so any spillage can be eaten by the chickens :)).

Yes, I share my homemade dog food for my chickens too haha. They love it. They love my blackberry and grape from my yard too. I had to compete to get some grape with them haha.

Nah...
I chose my city because house size in SFH is small even though it is not so good area.

My street is cul de sac. Most of them are renters.

the other side of next door owner didnt like it. saying I am doing it because he is black, huh? Here we go another nonsense racism. I am doing it because I like doing it.

He said he is black but pretty rich, so I said I am a multimillonaire but I like farming. And another nonsense said I need to buy his house because he knows I have many houses. I said you are not nice about my farming, I wont be nice you either. He didnt go further and left.

The current renter in the house is fine with my chicken. maybe lying, but he clearly said he is enjoying them.

https://gifdb.com/images/high/sigh-ryan-reynolds-oji09cgnuwufy1m2.gif

I can not give advice on a 1031 exchange, but I do agree on the hobby farm idea, its what I have done at my current home, its remote and no close neighbors. While at 67yo I could continue this activity I have made the choice to sell this place and return to civilization, and like you, actualizing the dream takes the time it takes. For me the next chapter involves a small place by Lake Livingston.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom