Front Load Washing Machines

Sears died a long, slow death in Canada. Now it is bankruptcy with unsecured creditors and their pension plan fighting over the leavings. The pension plan members were ripped off big time. The paid out huge dividends over the past several years instead of funding the pension plan properly so members are taking a 20 percent haircut.

We had not been in store for years. Their web site was a joke. Tried to order some filters but gave up. In the end they had a less than stellar reputation.

Update to my washer saga.....

I decided on an LG top loader WT7200CW. It's one without an agitator and
Best features so far are that you can add extra water if you think you need it and it has a WINDOW!!. I always wanted a washer with a glass lid and this one is very large.....
We bought the same model a couple of months back and we are very happy with it. And that window is a nice plus! I guess I have no life - while doing my dumbbell curls I'll stand in front of the washer to watch the exciting action!

I want a washing machine with more water. I don’t want these he washers regulating how much water i can use, when washing my clothes. I have a Samsung front load and bought the dryer also. I bought the biggest one. I can wash two king size comforters but there’s not enough water. It doesn’t even clean my clothes that good. I can even see deodorant on our clothes. Before i wash the shirts i have to pre soak them in a bucket and scrub the arm pits. This is ridiculous, I never had to do that with my old washer. I sold the old ones. I wish I could get them back.

I want a washing machine with more water.

Same experience here. I remember the old front-loaders, where you could see the water line halfway up the door while it was running. You could pack those full and still get everything perfectly clean.

Not any more! The "normal" cycle on our front-loader barely gets the clothes damp. If we select the heavy duty cycle, and hot water, it's usually OK. But I still wish there were a way to add more water.

But they've figured out a way to prevent that. The first thing it does when the cycle starts is to run the pump for about 30 seconds, so you can't even add water from a bucket.

Another problem is, if you add bleach to the dispenser, there's so little water added that it just splashes the bleach on the top clothes, leaving stains, rather than diluting in the water like it would in a top-loader.

I have heard that you can wet the clothes before washing, which makes the washer "think" you have a heavier load, and so it uses more water. Haven't tried yet, but it makes sense.

It seems to me the industry is so anxious to brag about their energy-saving and water-saving statistics that they've forgotten why we buy these appliances in the first place - to get our clothes clean!

I want a washing machine with more water.

The Whirlpool top loader model model WTW4816FW2 that we recently bought does have an option to do a "deep water wash" (fill the tub) if one wants but we haven't found it necessary. I did try it once just to see if it worked and it did.

Our top load He machine would do a much better job if it used more water but it doesn’t have some of the other issues with front loaders. I think wetting the clothes might help since it measures the load. It also has a bulky load setting that might help.

FWIW, the LG front loaders we ended up with (see thread) have worked out very well for us with no problems. I don't how much water they use but the clothes (and such) seem to be getting clean...

I want a washing machine with more water. I don’t want these he washers regulating how much water i can use, when washing my clothes.
Water doesn't clean. It gets clothes wet. That's all.

Water doesn't clean. It gets clothes wet. That's all.

Water and the wetting agents (surfactants) get the cloth wet. Whatever dirt does not rinse off, the detergent emulsifies and disperses into the water. Without water, there would be no cleaning.

The more water you use, the better the soil removal. Engineering the laundry detergent to do more with less water helps, but does not replicate the effectiveness of more water.

FWIW, the LG front loaders we ended up with (see thread) have worked out very well for us with no problems. I don't how much water they use but the clothes (and such) seem to be getting clean...

So glad to read this! I am very happy with my LG He top loader too. It seems to do a good job in getting clothes clean, far better than my prior GE agitator washer.

I don't think it uses much water at all, which is a bit silly in New Orleans. We have more than enough water. I think conserving water is more of a big issue in regions that do not have sufficient water to support their population.

The Whirlpool top loader model model WTW4816FW2 that we recently bought does have an option to do a "deep water wash" (fill the tub) if one wants but we haven't found it necessary. I did try it once just to see if it worked and it did.
That is terrific! Wow, that is a great selling point for a washer.

^ What she said.

We have the same LG front loader and it has performed very well. Not sure how much water it uses, but based on our water softener regenerating less frequently, it's less than our old HE top loader - and cleans better.

I bought Samsung HE top loaders 2 years ago and they have performed well. My laundry room is a little on the narrow side, and while a front loader would have worked, it would have been a more awkward fit. Plus the one front loader I've ever owned died after 5 years, so I'm a bit skeptical of their reliability in general.

The washer has a built-in 'sink' that you can lower to pre-treat some clothes, or hand wash some delicates. My laundry room does not have a sink, so the feature has come in handy from time to time.

Here’s a positive thing to come out of this thread for me: I never realized my LG front loader even HAD a button for “water plus”.

Now I know and am walking around feeling Cover Girl Clean.

Back
Top Bottom