fruit trees

I don't know, but google does.

I'm in 5a (north central IL) and most anything except citrus will grow here. We even know of people who grow banana trees around here. Although they have to take them in in the fall, and store them for the winter. But apples, cherries, plums, peaches, crabapples, and pears are all typical fruit trees for zone 5a. And i'm sure there are others that I'm overlooking.

For the best info, pay a visit to some local nurseries. They'll be able to give you the facts, and make recommendations for your exact area, and growing conditions. Around here, they'll even come to your home (FREE of charge), and look over your landscape and the layout of your property, so they can make educated recommendations.

Ditto what Goonie said. I'm on the 5/6 border and grow apples and pears and know people growing cherries, peaches and apricots. You just have to choose cold-hardy varieties for certain things.

I also have a pineapple plant on my back patio that I started this summer b/c I thought my daughters would have fun watching it grow. :)

Back
Top Bottom