"Funny" Boat Discussion with DW.........

That's what I'm thinking...maybe DW has her eye on some "ice that never melts"..........:eek::p

My cynical side says that a few months after the boat purchase she will want something of comparable monetary value; and you can't possibly say no without being cruel and insensitive.

My cynical side says that a few months after the boat purchase she will want something of comparable monetary value; and you can't possibly say no without being cruel and insensitive.

I think you are on to something.........;)

Here's an idea of what I want, though not this particular one........

Trading Post: 2004 17ft LUND Explorer 1700

As a long time boat owner (my one serious LBYM violation), I'd find a way (charter/rental/friend) to take her fishing several/many times before you buy one just to be sure. Boats have a way of costing much more than people expect (storage, insurance, maintenance, slip/dock fees and various doo-dads) and taking way more time to care for than most anticipate. If you work out how much it costs you each outing, you'll never justify the purchase. If you really enjoy it (I do), know that it's relatively expensive entertainment.

You probably know the time honored adage, 'the two happiest days in a boaters life are the day they buy the boat, and the day they sell the boat.' My other favorite is 'the only thing better than owning a boat, is having a friend who owns a boat.'

Last edited:
I feel bad 'cause I haven't been out in my canoe for about a year.

My neighbor has an old Laser sailboat on a trailer in his yard

Image43.jpg

and I'm tempted to offer to buy it, but I'd have to have a trailer, register the trailer, store the mast, and have it sit in the yard.

I've had a few instances where I sort of wanted something and mentioned it to the wife. She thought I was keeping it low key because I really wanted it but wasnt going to make a big deal out of it. So she insisted that I get it and say that she'd like it too. I'd think it was something she wanted and get it. Then we'd figure out later that I didnt want it that much, she didnt want it at all, and we were just both being extra nice to each other.

Seems we were both just fishing for compliments.

I suppose this would be a very wrong time to say that I've had the most fun with inflatables?

I used to have a catamaran with two big inflatable pontoons and about a 9' mast, little sail. Canvas platform between the pontoons with an aluminum frame. I think the whole thing weighed about 75-80lbs. Lots of fun on a small lake.

My inflatable kayak is still serving me well...

Image43.jpg

and I'm tempted to offer to buy it, but I'd have to have a trailer, register the trailer, store the mast, and have it sit in the yard.
Are we talking about the boat or the attendants?

FD, maybe you could share this thread with your spouse and tell her you feel like you should have second thoughts. But don't give her Brewer's name or phone number.

Maybe she just came across some really good fish recipes.

But don't give her Brewer's name or phone number.

Heh, not sure what that means, but I am happily married and not looking for some strange.

Although Dad did work in the Fulton Fish market for 30 odd years, so I suppose he might know someone who could help out with that lack of caulk thing...

Like CFB, I found that the simplest boats can be the best. I've owned a small cabin cruiser, a ski boat and a bass boat over the years. None of them provided more fun than my little 14 ft. open aluminum fishing boat. With its light weight and shallow draft, I could float small streams and even drag it from the trailer to the water if there was no boat launch. Total investment, $700 with motor and trailer.

Yep, best boat I think I ever had was a 2 man rubber raft, just big enough for me and a cooler. I'm not sure what two men were supposed to fit in the dang thing, since I had to hang my legs over one side and my head over the other to fit a sixpack cooler.

Back
Top Bottom