Furniture That Declutters

Paring down and organizing the house is an ongoing project for us these days. I just took a trunk full of stuff to the animal shelter thrift shop yesterday and what they didn't want went to Goodwill.

For home decor I've started getting rid of some of the useless nick-nacks and replacing them with functional baskets (preferably with tops), decorative wood boxes and wood bowls from Ross Dress for Less and the thrift shops and that is where the mail, remotes, keys, library books, receipts and general clutter all go now. So far in the rooms I've finished they look less cluttered and are actually staying picked up, but we have a lot of the house left to do.

Found the perfect solution. We had this nice desk up in our guest room....so we emptied it out and moved it to the front hall. One drawer will be for things to go to the garage, etc. Nothing allowed on the surface.

Smart idea. We had a glass table I liked already in the entryway that didn't have drawers, but I did get rid of most of the candles and vases on it and replaced them with wood bowls and baskets with tops.

One of the observations made (by Nellie McKay) during a recent performance was something like, "I don't know what's up on this TV show 'Hoarders'. It's about people who have massive amounts of stuff in their homes getting rid of it. Then they break to commercials to tell you about all the new stuff you can buy and bring right back in."

Excellent, Al! Thanks for the update.

I have re-discovered that moving is a good way to get rid of clutter. I had thought that I was relatively de-cluttered, but I have been throwing out as much as I have been packing. Also, my donation pile is growing ever bigger.

We humans sure think we need a lot of totally unnecessary things.

I de-clutter by getting rid of stuff. It's hard to do but I manage to do it every few years and then, boom, I'm back to clutter again. I also live in a really small duplex with only one closet. My garage is stacked with boxes anticipating a move this year or next so china is boxed, stuff like that. I am moving from this minuscule hut to a three bedroom, two bath place with many closets. The move is also where I will be tossing stuff or having a garage sale to pay for the move.

Still at it - just today in a downstairs closet I found some books, including "Running MS-DOS" and "Windows XP Inside Out".

I guess it's safe to throw those out.:LOL:

Still at it - just today in a downstairs closet I found some books, including "Running MS-DOS" and "Windows XP Inside Out".

Yeah, but keep the 5.25" floppies that came with them!

I felt some nostalgic loss when I tossed out my books on CP/M...

Back
Top Bottom