Gardening In Retirement

Some deer spook easier that others and thus are less aggressive about getting into areas that require extra effort. There is also the Food Source aspect Lsbcal, if the deer are able to find food readily elsewhere and without the extra effort, they will do so. That could be what is going on where you are. Different scenarios bring about much different actions.

Well yes, all they have to do is go around our house and head to the neighbors. Many of them like our neighbor's lush grass lawns, especially in the summer when the hills around here have turned golden.

There you go then Lsbcal, food they like is readily available.

Living where I had a yard to care for and space for flower gardens was top on my list for retirement. (And my French Bulldogs too!)

I have planted all perennial beds, mulched heavily to cut back on weeds, and spaced plants out so that there was room to spread without needing to worry about dividing plants for a number of years. I also put in some raised beds which makes gardening much easier.

I moved into a new house in a newer subdivision where the land was flattened and cleared completely before houses were built. I take great pleasure in seeing the birds come back to feed at the bird feeders I have up; to see pollinators return because of my flowers; and to see the ladybugs and toads return.

Thanks so much Simple Girl!! Sounds like something I will have to give a try.

Living where I had a yard to care for and space for flower gardens was top on my list for retirement. (And my French Bulldogs too!)

I have planted all perennial beds, mulched heavily to cut back on weeds, and spaced plants out so that there was room to spread without needing to worry about dividing plants for a number of years. I also put in some raised beds which makes gardening much easier.

I moved into a new house in a newer subdivision where the land was flattened and cleared completely before houses were built. I take great pleasure in seeing the birds come back to feed at the bird feeders I have up; to see pollinators return because of my flowers; and to see the ladybugs and toads return.
Hi msanniee! Spoken like a true gardener! Love to see the bees, butterflies and lady bugs in our rose beds and gardens as well. I love capturing them visiting a bloom I am about to photograph as well. Dragonfly visitors are indeed special guests. The raised beds is something I do not have yet but they will be coming I know.

I live in the city, so don't have a lot of space. I have gone back and forth over the years with gardening and then ignoring, especially during DH's illness and passing. But I decided to pull my postage-stamp backyard together again this year (while also paying big bucks to have a landscape designer completely redo my front yard, which is currently stuck in permitting hell).

Anyway, my backyard is almost completely covered by a massive sycamore, so I'm still figuring out the level of sun I can expect, but I'm content right now with my little city hideaway. I'll never be a master gardener, but I'm enjoying the process.

(Oops, should have moved the hose. [emoji41])
1560010775954.jpg

I did an elaborate landscape design (butterfly garden) for our new house. And enjoyed watching the landscape crew do the work.

Been a great garden. We’ve recorded 152 species of butterfly since it started blooming.

But we only do the occasional trim or plant replacement. The HOA contracts most of the yard maintenance.
Hi audreyh1! The butterfly garden sounds fantastic and to have recorded so many different ones is a real plus to your design work! Enjoyment is was it is all about and so glad you can and do.

I live in the city, so don't have a lot of space. I have gone back and forth over the years with gardening and then ignoring, especially during DH's illness and passing. But I decided to pull my postage-stamp backyard together again this year (while also paying big bucks to have a landscape designer completely redo my front yard, which is currently stuck in permitting hell).

Anyway, my backyard is almost completely covered by a massive sycamore, so I'm still figuring out the level of sun I can expect, but I'm content right now with my little city hideaway. I'll never be a master gardener, but I'm enjoying the process.

(Oops, should have moved the hose. [emoji41])
View attachment 31765
Hi googily! Thanks for including the photo. That looks like a find place to sit and take in the beauty while reading a good book and sipping on a favorite beverage. What more does one need. Very nice. I hope they are able to get the permitting wrapped up here soon for you.

I just finished hand weeding (as best I could) our large family vegetable garden. It feeds my parents, my sister and her family, and me. This year we planted several types of potatoes, tomatoes, lettuce, beans, onions, shallots, cucumbers, pumpkins, zucchini, swiss chard, spinach, herbs, rhubarb, peppers, beets, green cabbage, kale, and I probably forget a few things. We fertilize with manure and use no herbicide, no pesticide, and no fungicide. We basically let nature take its course (we barely water either). Some crops fail, others do great depending on the year. But this year, everything seems to do pretty well so far.

I just finished hand weeding (as best I could) our large family vegetable garden. It feeds my parents, my sister and her family, and me. This year we planted several types of potatoes, tomatoes, lettuce, beans, onions, shallots, cucumbers, pumpkins, zucchini, swiss chard, spinach, herbs, rhubarb, peppers, beets, green cabbage, kale, and I probably forget a few things. We fertilize with manure and use no herbicide, no pesticide, and no fungicide. We basically let nature take its course (we barely water either). Some crops fail, others do great depending on the year. But this year, everything seems to do pretty well so far.

Reminds me of the garden we had when I was younger--fed three families. Mom would can most of the fruits and veggies that we didn't eat immediately. Yum!

Our blueberries and tomatoes are doing well. All of my flowers are blooming, although the 90+ heat the past few days are taking its toll!

We are growing the same things. We use organic pesticide sprays - neem oil, pyrethrum, and bacillus thuringiensis. However, none of them seems to defeat potato beetles, which must be found and squished one by one. By the way, we just got this circular hand hoe https://www.amazon.com/Carrot-Desig...rcle+hand+hoe&qid=1560438557&s=gateway&sr=8-3 and have found it to be a real timesaver in the weeding department.

Tools I use and recommend

By the way, we just got this circular hand hoe https://www.amazon.com/Carrot-Desig...rcle+hand+hoe&qid=1560438557&s=gateway&sr=8-3 and have found it to be a real timesaver in the weeding department.

We have this tool. It makes quick work of the flower garden weeding.

https://www.amazon.com/BlueArrowExp...NVAMFSDBKTE&psc=1&refRID=HRWNAPZKYNVAMFSDBKTE

We also have this. It's great for planting, digging, cleaning up edges, etc.
https://www.amazon.com/Sensei-Tools...EF4M7XTY1J3&psc=1&refRID=K3QHR5F0DEF4M7XTY1J3

Both are really good tools if you're able do work low to the ground (as in on your knees), which we find preferable but a bit harder than a standing tool. Hoop hoes work good for standing.
https://www.amazon.com/Flexrake-Hul...=hoop+hoe&qid=1560440497&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-1

But my favorite standing tool looks more like the Japanese sickle, but it has a long handle. I bought it decades ago and I've looked and cannot find one if I needed to replace it. I guess if I had to get a new one it would be something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Corona-Clipp...MCDC3C9S2DG&psc=1&refRID=JDNZZVBF5MCDC3C9S2DG

We are growing the same things. We use organic pesticide sprays - neem oil, pyrethrum, and bacillus thuringiensis. However, none of them seems to defeat potato beetles, which must be found and squished one by one. By the way, we just got this circular hand hoe https://www.amazon.com/Carrot-Desig...rcle+hand+hoe&qid=1560438557&s=gateway&sr=8-3 and have found it to be a real timesaver in the weeding department.

Interesting tool! I need to check if I can find it in my neck of the woods.

... We basically let nature take its course (we barely water either)...

Where I am, not even weed can grow without watering. :)

Yet, my wife can never grow enough.

Loved the big gardens when we had them. Nothing tastes better than fresh from the garden veggies. The ones you buy at the store do not even come close to the same flavor these days.

We have this tool. It makes quick work of the flower garden weeding.

https://www.amazon.com/BlueArrowExp...NVAMFSDBKTE&psc=1&refRID=HRWNAPZKYNVAMFSDBKTE

We also have this. It's great for planting, digging, cleaning up edges, etc.
https://www.amazon.com/Sensei-Tools...EF4M7XTY1J3&psc=1&refRID=K3QHR5F0DEF4M7XTY1J3

Both are really good tools if you're able do work low to the ground (as in on your knees), which we find preferable but a bit harder than a standing tool. Hoop hoes work good for standing.
https://www.amazon.com/Flexrake-Hul...=hoop+hoe&qid=1560440497&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-1

But my favorite standing tool looks more like the Japanese sickle, but it has a long handle. I bought it decades ago and I've looked and cannot find one if I needed to replace it. I guess if I had to get a new one it would be something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Corona-Clipp...MCDC3C9S2DG&psc=1&refRID=JDNZZVBF5MCDC3C9S2DG
Always good to have the right tools for the job, makes things way easier. And easier on the arthritic joints!!

This is a picture of my garden from yesterday. It is 30ftx40ft.

Attachments

• Garden pic 6-14-19.jpg
    Garden pic 6-14-19.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 39
This is a picture of my garden from yesterday. It is 30ftx40ft.

I’m guessing all that fencing keeps most of the critters out. What about deer? Any around there? Is it effective on the rabbits? Looks like they could get through.

We have so many deer but I’d still like a garden, even just a small one but I need to figure out a way to keep them out.

I’m guessing all that fencing keeps most of the critters out. What about deer? Any around there? Is it effective on the rabbits? Looks like they could get through.

We have so many deer but I’d still like a garden, even just a small one but I need to figure out a way to keep them out.
The entire community garden has a 12 foot deer fence surrounding it. I haven't see any rabbits, although we did have a groundhog problem last year; they burrowed under the fencing closest to the camera. So I buried two feet of extra fencing in the ground below the existing fence to keep them out.

Over the last couple days the deer got to 2 tomato plants and a couple squash. It was heart breaking. I quickly planted two more tomatoes behind a fence so ill still get the same yield. I also sprinkled everything with cayenne pepper. Ill have to stay on it.

Im thinking ill plant a few more tomatoes in the green house. Just in case. I know the deer are just doing their thing but I’m beginning to hate them.

Last edited:
Over the last couple days the deer got to 2 tomato plants and a couple squash. It was heart breaking. I quickly planted two more tomatoes behind a fence so ill still get the same yield. I also sprinkled everything with cayenne pepper. Ill have to stay on it.

Im thinking ill plant a few more tomatoes in the green house. Just in case. I know the deer are just doing their thing but I’m beginning to hate them.
I surely do understand about the deer. It is very hard to see our hard work at growing things wiped out in a few moments. We used to have this problem with entire fields of crops out on the farm when Hail came. The corn was turned to nothing but stalks, everything else battered into the mud. I currently have a little rabbit problem in my rose beds but I will do some spraying with a deterrent and see if that does the trick.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom