Getting Out Of The Cave

Yes his young age probably a factor in his poor decision making. We are on vacation so all I know about this is from this thread.

I often find wikipedia to have the best current summaries for events like these, plus they include the background, so you can get full context if needed, rather than some news snippet that isn't going to repeat all the old news (that you may have not seen).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tham_Luang_cave_rescue
A fifth and sixth boy were rescued and sent to the local hospital in Chiang Rai on the afternoon of 9 July, local time.[8][81] As of 9 July 2018, 08:25am/et/usa, eight boys are reported to have been rescued before the end of the rescue operations for the day (2nd day).[4][82]
-ERD50

8 out is wonderful--praying that the last push is equally successful.

Next up: the tell-all book by one or more of the survivors. Then maybe a film.

There are a couple of reasons they may be hospitalized for a week. First is correction of dehydration. Kidneys may not work so well for awhile after dehydration as well. Second is something called refeeding syndrome. There can be all kinds of metabolic derangements when you start refeeding. Infection is a possibility, but lower on the list. If this cave is frequently underwater, it won’t be a place that attracts too many bats or birds, so histoplasmosis may not be a huge problem.

I think this is speculation, but some talking head on the TV said they think they were so deep into the cave because the entrance started to flood and they were trying to find a different exit... kinda being pushed back by the rising water...

Hopefully the parents can see their boys soon.

I just saw this on the CBS news website:
Thai media reported Monday that the 25-year-old soccer coach was among those who were rescued, CBS News foreign correspondent Ben Tracy reports. Tracy said that while that may seem odd, it's been reported for days that the coach was actually in the worst shape of those trapped in the cave, since he had been giving the boys all the food and water he had on him.
https://www.cbsnews.com/live-news/t...and-boys-soccer-team-2018-07-08-live-updates/

Now I am reading contradictory information from a different article, this one on The Guardian's website at https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...ight-boys-and-coach-still-trapped-latest-news
A further four boys and their coach Ekapol Chantawong remain in the cave. The identities of the rescued boys have not been confirmed.

It also says
The rescued boy are being kept in isolation in the hospital to avoid the risk of infection. Medics are considering whether to allow their parents to see them through a glass door.
"are considering":confused:? It still seems strange to me that their parents have not even been allowed to see them yet. If I was the mother of one of them, I'd be absolutely frantic. Also, I'd be more than ready to lynch the coach, but I gather these parents are much more understanding than I would be.

SO glad that 8 are out, alive, and safe; only 5 left to rescue.

They now have 11 of the boys out with only the coach and an 11 year old to go. Amazing.

The coach and kid's have been in the cave before. Some coaches use different things for motivation, team building, trust etc. DS's basketball team raised funds to go to a Disney World basketball tourney years ago, the team set a goal, worked to get there, and achieved. They made to the section Finals, I don't think these Thai boys could go to Disney.

The boys went in as a team, and after they're medically cleared, they'll get back to their families as a team. They're undergoing tests, phyiscally and mentally. You don't want some kid waking up screaming in the middle of the night for the rest of his life because he hears water running in the dark, and wasn't treated early.

I am so happy about this excellent result. And I am very sorry about the Seal who died. A hero!

Ha

I can't see this tragic situation ending well. The death of that military trained diver could dissuade other rescuers from expecting kids to survive the same dive. This is especially true since these kids may not even be able to swim, much less dive.

I am not a religious person but hope that those who are, will pray for these kids. Nothing else seems to be working. Gosh, I hope I am wrong and all are safely rescued somehow.
Cnn reports they are all out, all 12 kids and the coach.

:clap: What a miracle! I am so glad that I was completely wrong, and so happy for them and for their parents.

Yeah this is pretty amazing. I can't imagine what it was like for the kids who didn't even know how to swim yet just jumping right into the most dangerous underwater activity imaginable. Looking forward to the movie.

Yeah this is pretty amazing. I can't imagine what it was like for the kids who didn't even know how to swim yet just jumping right into the most dangerous underwater activity imaginable. Looking forward to the movie.
An interesting tid-bit from one of the UK underwater cave rescue folks. In a BBC interview he said that inability to swim wouldn't be a big issue in this case, as apparently little swimming involved. They just put plenty of weights on the person and they crawl out along the same path they used to get in. He said some of the best cave divers aren't particularly strong swimmers.
Still, I would think that it would be a lot to overcome for a kid who isn't a swimmer to put his head underwater and to be weighted so it is impossible for him to get to the surface.

A great outcome overall, congrats to the rescue team and to the kids--and, yes, their coach. I'll bet those divers who first found the kids will never be able to pay for a drink anywhere in Thailand, and that's as it should be.

I read that to avoid drinking the foul water that surrounded them (which obviously got fouler and fouler, as they had no other toilet) they licked moisture off the cave walls. I wondered how they could possibly get enough for 13 people, and the answer is, they didn't. I'm just surprised they didn't die from dehydration after so many days.

Also heard that the blood tests showed every boy had elevated white blood counts, indicating some level of infection.

Don't think you can be too careful in an unusual case like this.

There are a couple of reasons they may be hospitalized for a week. First is correction of dehydration. Kidneys may not work so well for awhile after dehydration as well. Second is something called refeeding syndrome. There can be all kinds of metabolic derangements when you start refeeding. Infection is a possibility, but lower on the list. If this cave is frequently underwater, it won’t be a place that attracts too many bats or birds, so histoplasmosis may not be a huge problem.

There are a couple of reasons they may be hospitalized for a week. First is correction of dehydration. Kidneys may not work so well for awhile after dehydration as well. Second is something called refeeding syndrome. There can be all kinds of metabolic derangements when you start refeeding.

I'd heard of that before in a couple of documentaries about when the Nazi concentration camps were liberated in 1945. Well-meaning Allied solders sometimes caused the deaths of starved prisoners by giving them their own high-calorie rations. The prisoner's systems couldn't handle the sudden intake and died.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440847/

What is refeeding syndrome?

Refeeding syndrome can be defined as the potentially fatal shifts in fluids and electrolytes that may occur in malnourished patients receiving artificial refeeding (whether enterally or parenterally5). These shifts result from hormonal and metabolic changes and may cause serious clinical complications. The hallmark biochemical feature of refeeding syndrome is hypophosphataemia. However, the syndrome is complex and may also feature abnormal sodium and fluid balance; changes in glucose, protein, and fat metabolism; thiamine deficiency; hypokalaemia; and hypomagnesaemia.1 6

I great ending so far for a terrible situation. So happy for those kids.

I'm very pleased and relieved that the children and coach were saved!

I also note with interest the types of calamities that get our undivided attention. Even if all these children had perished in the cave, their deaths would have been a drop in the bucket of deaths caused by automobile accidents in the USA each year. But we're accustomed to those and, unless it's a school bus full of kids, hardly find mention of it. Yawn........

I Googled "child accidental deaths" and this popped up.

The most common cause of death in children under the age of 15 is unintentional injury, and the most common cause of unintentional injury is car accidents. Between 2010 and 2014, 2,885 children died in motor vehicle accidents nationwide — an average of 11 children a week. May 29, 2017

I wonder what we find irresistibly interesting vs what we find much less newsworthy says about us?

Last edited:
I wonder what we find irresistibly interesting vs what we find much less newsworthy says about us?

It’s the drama and uncertainty of the outcome. If every car accident played out over a period of time, and we could watch it unfold, and the outcome was uncertain, we’d be more interested.

It’s the drama and uncertainty of the outcome. If every car accident played out over a period of time, and we could watch it unfold, and the outcome was uncertain, we’d be more interested.

You're saying we're caught up by the "drama and uncertainty of the outcome?"

Not a very complimentary view on us and our aggregate outlook on childrens' life and death circumstances IMHO. But I suspect you're correct. The entertainment value of the cave rescue to each of us personally grabs us more than the drab statistics of equal numbers of children dying in automobile accidents each week in the USA.

Sorry for the digression and for likely diluting the fun.......:flowers:

31 years ago, the US and the world watched to see if they could save baby Jessica, who fell in the well. It was one child. The news was much like this.

Today, she's alive and doing great. We watch with the hope of celebrating.

I did not watch this unfold, but am glad they were all rescued. I remember the Chilean miners - I watched TV news at the time, but didn't tune in to the story until the very end, thankfully successful conclusion.

I can only imagine how much TV airtime this occupied.

Back
Top Bottom