Getting Out Of The Cave

The problem with drilling an access from above is where to drill?
Not easy to determine exactly where they are from above.

Too deep, IIRC.

One article I read compared it to the equivalent of drilling down the length of 2 Statues of Liberty and trying to hit something the size of a subway tunnel.

AP reports that an operation to bring the boys back has begun. 13 foreign and 5 Thai divers. What amazing people to attempt such a dangerous, nerve wracking and physically grueling task. This is an awful situation but seems to have brought out the best in people. True heroes!! I hope so much to hear some good news about this soon.

Too deep, IIRC.

One article I read compared it to the equivalent of drilling down the length of 2 Statues of Liberty and trying to hit something the size of a subway tunnel.

Drill/location is not a hard thing to do. The hard thing to do is get the right equipment in place, do the right surface prep for a rig setup, and commence.
Drilling holes down into coal mine entries for power, water, dewatering, compressed air, ventilation is routinely done for over 50 years.

Drill/location is not a hard thing to do. The hard thing to do is get the right equipment in place, do the right surface prep for a rig setup, and commence.
Drilling holes down into coal mine entries for power, water, dewatering, compressed air, ventilation is routinely done for over 50 years.
Right. And they don't have the time, or surface prep for it.

Has anyone ever tried to drill a hole from the outside of their house inside? It is always a challenge.

Anyway, saw on the news the same thing mentioned above. Looks like they now decided to go for it with the divers. Our church will be saying prayers this morning all involved.

Initial reports (AP/Reuters/CBC, etc) are saying 2-3 boys are already out, the operation will take a few days. I hope this is true.

BBC is saying a 4th is out. A lot of conflicting reports. Probably the press doesn't have a good view, may be confusing rescuers with boys, or maybe not understanding when boys have cleared the water and still to get out of the rest of the cave vs. completely out? In any case the rescue is going faster because the water level is lower and in fewer places than they thought they'd have to deal with, so more walking, less swimming/diving.

Initial reports (AP/Reuters/CBC, etc) are saying 2-3 boys are already out, the operation will take a few days. I hope this is true.

I’m watching live Thai television and now there’s 4 out, I’m also a little south of Chiangmai and we’re having a big downpour right now

Sounds like they are making excellent progress. When this thing is all over (with hopefully everyone safe and sound) it will be interesting to read about all the different technical aspects of this rescue.

I pray they all make it safe!

I do have a question >> how long does it take to get them out from start to finish? I have heard different amount of time it takes to get one kid out.

Too deep, IIRC.

But they seem to be able to do that.... as long as they know where that subway tunnel is located... look at what they did with Deepwater Horizon... had to drill down to a previously drilled hole that could not be more than 8 inches in diameter to seal it up.... but they had info on where it was...

They've stopped bringing kids out for now to reset all of the intermediate oxygen tanks and other equipment. I wonder if they are constrained by the number of qualified divers, or the number that can be in the cave at once. You'd have thought they would have been having a team doing the rescue, with a support team constantly replenishing the tanks and other supplies. Maybe they want to make sure they have the best divers available with the boys, and they need rest, but they have 90 divers available. And you don't need divers to get them out of the cave once they're past the water. It's raining hard there so the water is going to fill back up as it makes it's way back into the ground.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44757804 has more.

I’m watching live Thai television and now there’s 4 out, I’m also a little south of Chiangmai and we’re having a big downpour right now

What a miracle. I hope they can get more of the boys out. The parents of the boys who were saved, must feel so relieved and happy to see their sons again.

I was surprised to read that the four rescued boys will be held in a local hospital under quarantine for at least a week. I can see why a thorough checkup and maybe 24 hours in the hospital might be in order, but a week? Wow. Sounds like they are very weak and near death, perhaps from starvation while trapped in there.

I also read that rescue of the other 9 must wait until tomorrow. I hope that is incorrect, since apparently the area is experiencing torrential monsoon rains.

I was surprised to read that the four rescued boys will be held in a local hospital under quarantine for at least a week. I can see why a thorough checkup and maybe 24 hours in the hospital might be in order, but a week? Wow. Sounds like they are very weak and near death, perhaps from starvation while trapped in there.

I also read that rescue of the other 9 must wait until tomorrow. I hope that is incorrect, since apparently the area is experiencing torrential monsoon rains.

From what I heard they took the strongest kids first

They first rescued the four strongest boys. Heard that the coach is one of the weakest ones there. He gave up is food and water to the boys when the group didn't know if anyone would find them.

I didn't realize that water was scarce.

I'm just going by what a reporter was saying in a news story. Probably makes sense as the group probably only planned to go in the cave for a short time only to get stuck in there.

I do hope everyone gets out okay. It sounds like it was a accident and so great that so many people are trying to help.

I do hope everyone gets out okay. It sounds like it was a accident and so great that so many people are trying to help.

I would have never taken them that deep in there, from the sounds of the evacuation they probably had to crawl on their bellies to get past a few ponts

Last edited:

I do not think they are weak and near death... from the news tonight they have to worry about infections and other things that might not show up right away.... and they also need to get counseling...

Not sure of this, but I also would not put our western standards on them... because of costs here they get people out of hospitals as fast as they can... might not be a priority over there... or a big cost...

I do not think they are weak and near death... from the news tonight they have to worry about infections and other things that might not show up right away.... and they also need to get counseling...

Not sure of this, but I also would not put our western standards on them... because of costs here they get people out of hospitals as fast as they can... might not be a priority over there... or a big cost...

Specifically this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histoplasmosis

Hopefully the parents can see their boys soon.

I just saw this on the CBS news website:
Thai media reported Monday that the 25-year-old soccer coach was among those who were rescued, CBS News foreign correspondent Ben Tracy reports. Tracy said that while that may seem odd, it's been reported for days that the coach was actually in the worst shape of those trapped in the cave, since he had been giving the boys all the food and water he had on him.
https://www.cbsnews.com/live-news/t...and-boys-soccer-team-2018-07-08-live-updates/

Right, the coach shouldn’t have taken them deep into the cave. But then I realized that he is only 25 himself.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom