Google Drive app & Google Docs

steelyman

Moderator Emeritus
Just wanted to report that I have been trying the Google Drive app which gives you access to files stored in the cloud. There are multiple ways to access and the app is one of them. I'm using it on an iPod Touch.

I have been converting spreadsheets previously stored in Excel on a desktop to Google Sheets. No personal information, account numbers, etc as I am wary of cloud security. Just security names/tickers, and quantity owned, broken out by firm where they are held.

The app works great, is fast, and gives me access to my data wherever I am. I am already a fan of Sheets. I've only been using the app this week but will report back as I get more experience and have any problems.

I love Google Drive :) We all used Docs before it turned to drive back in school, it was the absolutel best way to write papers, have access to them anywhere, and then just save them in a folder shared with your teacher.

That behavior never left, and now it's how my boyfriend and I track our 'allowance'. Since we don't have separate accounts, we each allot ourselves $100 spending money each month, with rollovers, and track it in a shared spreadsheet in drive.

I'm also a photographer and it's a great way to share large numbers of pictures and things without worrying about email limits. I have Dropbox as well, quite a few friends use it, but I never got used to it, as I'm so accustomed to Drive.

I love Google so much I bought a Nexus (Google) 7. I added a $5 Bluetooth dongle and can move stuff between my laptop and tablet. I already had Quicken 2013, so I can connect CC's and balances to my tablet. Presently I use my laptop for financial downloads only, and my tablet to surf.

Timely thread! Lotus user here, and just found out that IBM is going to do what we have all been expecting for years - shoot it, bury it and put it out of its misery. Time for a new office app, one doesn't have the word "Microsoft" in its title or name.

I've been using Google Drive since it was introduced. I am not sure what % of its offerings I use but it is great for storing and sharing docs I create. And docs I want to store that I find and place in the file folder I created. Developing docs collaboratively has been really cool and easy. Perhaps the feature I like most is it uses Google search. By imputing a key word(s), the doc you are seeking will likely come up in a list. Perhaps other programs offer similar benefits but this one has worked for me.

Timely thread! Lotus user here, and just found out that IBM is going to do what we have all been expecting for years - shoot it, bury it and put it out of its misery. Time for a new office app, one doesn't have the word "Microsoft" in its title or name.

As a long time linux user I like things without M$ in the name :D Used lotus for DOS way back in the 80s.

Openoffice Apache OpenOffice - The Free and Open Productivity Suite
Libreoffice LibreOffice 4.1 is here!

And googledocs online part of google drive now.

Been using Google Docs (Drive) since 2009.
If there's a security problem, I'm dead, cuz virtually all of my records are stashed there.
Nicest part of it all, is that I didn't have to learn anything to use it. I just drag and drop and it works like magic. Spreadsheets, documents, formulas from almost anywhere, just convert without me having to know how to do it.
(but I still can't forgive google for changing the GMail compose format).

BTW... heard today that Google is designing a car that drives itself... from the ground up... and not using any auto manufactureres for input.

BTW... heard today that Google is designing a car that drives itself... from the ground up... and not using any auto manufactureres for input.

They've already got a few out in Cali and Nevada, possibly more places by now. As far as I've read, the only wrecks that have ever happened in the cars, which are few, have been when the drivers had them switched into manual mode.

Though the few cars have shown that they're street worthy so far, they're being incredibly careful before giving them to general riders, because the laws for self-drivers aren't set, and they could easily be at fault for every crash that happens when not in manual mode. I'm very interested to see where the laws go. I just hope this isn't a repeat of a Doctor Who episode where someone hacks the car to refuse to let me out and drive me into a river :LOL:

Piling on the Google docs (drive) love fest. Besides the usual stuff, my family uses a google doc to keep current contact info up to date. My DH and I have a shared google calendar which makes syncing schedules a little simpler.

I've been 100% Google (drive, docs, sheets, photo, email, +, calendar, Chrome, chromecast etc etc) since my last laptop crash 10 months ago. Love it.

A half-second slow sometimes if the wifi bogs down but a price I'm willing to pay for instant backup and instant syncing with my phone. Love the "print to drive" option too!

(now if they can only do "auto caps" in docs the world would be just ducky)

Well, I may have a report here (emphasize may).

I've been using Drive for a little while (been driving all over town like a teenager), and am thrilled.

I used it on an iPod and it worked great. I used it on a Chromebook, same results. I used it through the web - no problems.

So I got brave and decided to install the client on a PC running Windows Vista (yes, I know... but it's headed off to electronics recycling in the near future). As soon as I did that, the machine crashed every night and needed two resets to wake it from the dead. I uninstalled the client and now it seems back to normal. Anyone else seen this behavior?

I remembered you can find an "Event Log" through Control Panel/Administration and it seemed to point to software. I am guessing it is one that begins with "V", not "G".

I'll still use Drive on that machine, but through the web.

Only somewhat related: I want to get an external drive (physical) to help migration away from that Windows PC. Anyone have any recommendations through personal experience? It's not a big disk (2007), probably about 600 GB or so. But I have files on there I don't want to lose and I want to move them to its successor.

Last edited:
Only somewhat related: I want to get an external drive (physical) to help migration away from that Windows PC. Anyone have any recommendations through personal experience? It's not a big disk (2007), probably about 600 GB or so. But I have files on there I don't want to lose and I want to move them to its successor.

I have a Western Digital Passport (bought it at Amazon). Works well, no problems.

I have a Western Digital Passport (bought it at Amazon). Works well, no problems.

Thanks, Katsmeow. It's good to hear an opinion. I guessed either WD or Seagate would be the way to go. I'll check out Amazon and Newegg.

I have external usb drives that I use to transfer data.

Another option would be to buy an external enclosure that can hold your old drive, and allow you to transfer data one time. Then you can retain the old drive just in case you forgot something.

Thanks, Katsmeow. It's good to hear an opinion. I guessed either WD or Seagate would be the way to go. I'll check out Amazon and Newegg.

Most any will do , only a couple of drive makers left. I picked up some 1.5TB USB 2.0 externals a few months ago on weekend special at newegg for ~$70 and I think it had a rebate as well. The brand was fantom, but the actual drive could be any one.

Thanks for these suggestions. I will take a look into what I can get to not only transfer files, but also back up on a new computer (probably Mac) in the future. I've been playing with fire here :(

I was updating my portfolio spreadsheet and noticed a litlle banner that said "Try the new Google Sheets". Has anyone tried that? Impressions?

I'm hesitant to change since I finally got everything entered and it's working fine.

I found a list of what's new and for me the advertised speed improvements would be atttactive. There are some things that I think power spreadsheet users (I'm not) would like.

I was updating my portfolio spreadsheet and noticed a litlle banner that said "Try the new Google Sheets". Has anyone tried that? Impressions?

I'm hesitant to change since I finally got everything entered and it's working fine.

I found a list of what's new and for me the advertised speed improvements would be atttactive. There are some things that I think power spreadsheet users (I'm not) would like.

Dunno if I'm ready for this... saw this comment on the sheets info page...

There are a few things to consider before switching to the new Sheets. Once switched, all spreadsheets that you create will be created in the new version. All previously created spreadsheets will remain in the older version of Sheets for now. You’ll also see that a few of the features you may be used to using in Sheets aren’t yet available in this new version. Learn more about switching to the old and new versions of Google Sheets.

Also... while we're on "Google"... did anyone else notice that links on the search page are no longer underlined, ('til you mouse-over.) Cleaner pages.

Dunno if I'm ready for this... saw this comment on the sheets info page...

I only have a few up, but if it changes the old ones too, and they say some functions aren't supported, that does not seem prudent.

Google seems to do some weird things. Very clever, they have some great tools, but sometimes it just gets screwy.

Also... while we're on "Google"... did anyone else notice that links on the search page are no longer underlined, ('til you mouse-over.) Cleaner pages.

Yes, I knew it looked different, and I didn't like it. It seemed like less distinction between different results or something, and [-]almost[/-] over half the width of the screen is white space.

So I googled, found a bunch of hits for "no, you are not crazy, the google results changed'. So they eliminated the underline for the link (that's stupid, just really stupid). And in the first I read, they mentioned all the complaints on twitter, and the author said 'I guess people just don't like change'. Argggghhhh! People LOVE change, but it has to be positive change. I can't see any user advantage.

But here's the silver lining - in the comments someone linked to:

https://startpage.com

Looks like it uses google search, but formats in a more useful way. And the 'time frame' options are right back where they belong, in the side bar instead of buried under a menu. So just one click instead of three, or more than three if you don't hit the right menu the first time (is that under Web, More, or Search Tools?).

It also looks like they strip out ads. I really don't mind the ads if they are done in such a way to be informative rather than get in the way.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom