Google Password Manager Failed

scrabbler1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have been using Google's Password Manager for several months. It is a useful tool because I have many different passwords for the ~40 different websites I access from time to time.

But earlier today, it stopped working. In Google's Password Manager, the 40 websites are still there, complete with the passwords I entered. But there is no longer any autofill link like there was before. I tried reinstalling Google Chrome. I signed out and back into Google. I checked the settings in Password Manager. All the same (ON) as they they were before. I am still signed into Google as before. But when I visit a website which requires a password, it no longer gets autofilled. It's like the browser isn't connecting with Password Manager any more.

I know this is going to be a nuisance when I visit a website I hadn't visited in a while and can't remember the password because it has been such a long time since I had to enter it. I have it written down somewhere. And I can visit Google's password manager to view it. But the ride on Easy Street is over. :(

Sorry to hear that.

I got locked out of Treasury Direct a few weeks ago. I thought I might never emerge from that black hole . . .

Sorry to hear that.

I got locked out of Treasury Direct a few weeks ago. I thought I might never emerge from that black hole . . .
Ah yes, the Treasury Direct web site and user interface. Proving time travel is possible. Welcome to 1998.

I use KeePassXC , It has the autofill feature, but I don't use it.

Instead I click on the password manager entry and select copy username and then copy password. It has a setting to control how long those stay in the clipboard memory before auto erase so the password is not hanging around a long time.

Maybe it's time to switch ?

I needed to try only the delete cookies, which didn't help. In fact, I now have to re-enter usernames which had been saved outside Google Chrome. I wasn't about to redo the profile.

I guess I'm just resigned to entering passwords again. No more Easy Street. And now I'll have to re-enter some usernames for a while. At least Google's Password Manager contains the passwords so I won't have to search for each one.

You might consider changing password manager. I changed to Bitwarden years ago, haven't looked back.

Sorry to hear that.

I've been locked out of my social security account for years. This will be the year I have to go down there to get it unlocked.

Any chance you are due for a Chrome update?

I use the password manager, but I also keep a small PW notebook at home for critical things... and my actual Google password because google will never keep that for you.

I did a simple reboot of my system and...........voila! everything returned to normal! yay :dance:

we use RoboForm PW manager (Everywhere version $)
http://www.roboform.com.

the Everywhere version syncs the PW database across platforms (Windows, iOS). works off a thumb drive or your hard drive. 2FA for access to the database. autofill for most popular browsers.

Back
Top Bottom