Hey, what's for dinner?

That's great news for my route planning from Whitefish down on Hwy 93--we'll need to supplement our soup supply on the road next May! Thanks for the tip!

There is no shortage of books and recipes for roadkill. And my father once cooked a chicken on the car exhaust manifold by wrapping it in foil and turning at the halfway point on a four-hour drive. Reportedly it turned out fine.

Ewww!!! :sick: [/citygirl]

My grandfather drove a streetcar in PA between two towns. When he ran over a rabbit he stopped, picked it up, and took it home. It was dinner that night.

No different than shooting it with a .22 rifle.

Admittedly I have failed to keep up the family tradition.:)

My grandfather drove a streetcar in PA between two towns. When he ran over a rabbit he stopped, picked it up, and took it home. It was dinner that night.

No different than shooting it with a .22 rifle.

Exactly. Does it matter if the game was killed with a Remington or a Dodge? If it's fresh, and you like game meat, then why waste the roadkill...

Exactly. Does it matter if the game was killed with a Remington or a Dodge? If it's fresh, and you like game meat, then why waste the roadkill...

(emphasis mine) As far as this city girl is concerned, that's a big "if"! :D I am somewhat appalled at the flavor of most game meat. :yuk: And game meat with tire tread marks embedded in it would be even worse.

True. However, with a deer, when you cut away the part with tire treadmark on it, you still have plenty leftover.

Well, one can consider the ran-over part as pre-tenderized, I guess.

Last edited:
And game meat with tire tread marks embedded in it would be even worse.
Come to think of it, tread mark would be only [-]skin[/-] fur deep.

So, don't sweat it. After cooking, you would not be able to tell the difference, other than the meat is even more tender.

Last edited:
Come to think of it, tread mark would be only [-]skin[/-] fur deep.

So, don't sweat it. After cooking, you would not be able to tell the difference, other than the meat is even more tender.

Sounds like you're fully recovered (maybe "recovered" is the wrong word).

No, I am still sick and undergoing treatment.

It's just that I have felt better the last few days to log in and do some BS'ing here to cheer myself up.

No, I am still sick and undergoing treatment.

It's just that I have felt better the last few days to log in and do some BS'ing here to cheer myself up.

Well, I guess road kill is a good place to start.

With Montana's liberal speed limits that is a recipe for.......dinner
Lets see,
call insurance agent
call the body shop
call the butcher

Grandmother used to take rabbits and large birds away from the cats.

Where I live it's been legal to pick up road kill for years. I've never done it, but I would under the correct conditions.

Probably 10 years ago we were driving through the FL. Keys, all kinds of signs to look out for the endangered Florida Key Deer. Reduced speed zones, 10 ft. tall fences etc. As we come on to (Marathon?) key, one of these little guys bolts out, middle of the day, right in front of our rental car. Romp on brakes, he's OK, we didn't get rear ended (everyone's driving the reduced speed zone), but scared everyone, including the deer.

As we pull away I look at DW, and ask "so if we hit the deer in FL. could we have taken the venison back home"? My guess is not. Just glad we were OK.

I love wild game, just has to be taken care of, and cooked properly.

MRG

Back
Top Bottom