Home purchase - what would you advise we compromise on?

At my old house I was on the architectural committee. ACC was always hurting for volunteers. It all comes down to a philosophy. My view was to help people do what they wanted while in compliance with the covenants. Not to be a cop and send out violations. But helping people so their project would not create problems.
I will add that the HOA was not a high dollar, heavy handed group. I can't stand busy body HOA or neighbors. My ACC role was my way of ensuring that neighborhood covenants could be followed and enable people to build or have their house and property as they liked.

I only ever lived in one house with an HOA and it's our present house. Before we even made an offer, I read the covenants and then I called the president of the HOA and had a nice conversation with her. I think you can learn more from having an actual conversation that just reading written words. After the conversation, I was convinced that we were on the same page and there wouldn't be any problems. We ended up buying the property and it's been a great decision.

Nah. Velociraptors and claymore mines is the only way to go.

HOA's are like people in that they have different personalities. All in all, I don't care to ever live where there's any HOA again.

. . .

We found a 20 home neighborhood--all on one street. The homes are about 12 years old, and the styling of the homes are outstanding--far better than the new homes of equal price. The yards are 1 acre or slightly larger, and our back yard is 250' across--with a 6' wood fence behind the house. We have all the popular features of 2021 houses with vaulted ceilings in almost every room. And the best things were the house was in like new condition and the advantageous price--30% cheaper than comparable homes being built today.

. . .

This sounds perfect for OP. (In fact, it sounds perfect for us). Nice size home, well built, and some separation from neighbors.

I'd pay extra for guards. Especially armed guards. With dogs.

Dogs are the best!

That is true. You probably pay more for your dogs' upkeep than my HOAs. The advantage that I have is that I can take off on vacation for 3 months and not worry about pets.

Some HOAs are quite innocuous, so I would just get a copy of their bylaws and see if anything is a nonstarter for you.

I live in a very small development with an HOA (just 17 houses) and the rules are fairly minimal so we're all friends.

I agree that not all HOAs are bad. We built ourselves a "forever" one story home when we were 50, and this year, at 60, we sold it and bought a three story house. Our main criteria were proximity to our son and the grandkids (we got a house 15 minutes away from them). There were no one story homes at all for sale in the area (Atlanta and suburbs), and we went from a 1 acre lot to a 1/4 acre lot, which is still big enough for our dogs and grandkids to run around in. The new house is 12 years old but very well maintained. I would compromise on lot size and HOA if I were you - I get the one story house for your disabled son.

As a parent of an adult disabled child, I added an extra bedroom when building our current house. The thought was for live in assistance for the child for when I am no longer able to.

If you have a limited timeframe, you may need to make more concessions than if you have more time to find your forever home. New properties are constantly coming on and off the market, and your perfect home may not be on the market just yet.

If you are starting your search now, you're entering the low season for home sales. It's not necessarily bad, it just means you have to manage your expectations on how long it will take to find what you want. In the spring, you'll have a lot more inventory to pick from, but also a lot more buyers to compete with.

A huge part of buying a residence is finding the right fit; and in a tight market, it's logical to get discouraged, or to succumb to time or inventory pressure, and accept a property that you might not in different circumstances.

IMO, it's good to be brutally picky, and to know exactly what items you absolutely can't compromise on. You're inheriting a new lifestyle around this decision, and want to make the right choice. You'll know it when you feel it. Best of luck on your search.

You are wise to consider the medical care as a priority.

Family member moved to a rural community of 12000 pop. with a small satellite hospital- part of a large state wide network. He had a heart attack on a Sunday. After driving 12 min. to ER (did not call 911 as not sure he was having a heart attack), was immediately treated by ER physician. Doc told him it was a heart attack, and stabilized him, but said that a cardiologist was not on call on weekends. Medivac flew in to transport him to regional hospital 35 miles away-over an hour from ER check in to big hospital arrival. (BTW, helicopter ride was $21k, 12 years ago.)

He was taken care of, without any real complications. But the experience scared him enough to sell that home and relocate. The new criteria was living no further away than 10 minutes from a large hospital with "world class" cardio care.

Back
Top Bottom