Hot Dog Eating Contest

I think it is fascinating that some people can eat that much. And the winners are generally not big people, many weighing less than 150 lbs.

PS. I was particularly impressed by a past female competitor by the name of "Black Widow". Sonya Thomas is her real name, and I looked up this Korean-American to see that she stood 5' tall and weighed something like 100 lbs. How was it possible that she ate so much, such as 183 wings, 65 hard-boiled eggs, etc... ? Would medical people be interested to know why and how?

Last edited:
Yeap, the whole family is diabetic or pre-diabetic. Only one kid who is friend with my daughter came to our house one day and it changed her eating habit. She's still slim today. She said she was surprised that we ate lentils with ham for dinner, it's one of my husband's favorite dish. Her whole family eats a lot of fast carb.

What's fast carb:confused:?

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
I was at an old dinner that allowed you to put your name on the wall if you are two of their plate size pancakes.

Took longer for lunch the day the EMTs came to get the fellow out of his coma. He thought he was pre-diabetic.

Love it:LOL:

I think it is fascinating that some people can eat that much. And the winners are generally not big people, many weighing less than 150 lbs.

PS. I was particularly impressed by a past female competitor by the name of "Black Widow". Sonya Thomas is her real name, and I looked up this Korean-American to see that she stood 5' tall and weighed something like 100 lbs. How was it possible that she ate so much, such as 183 wings, 65 hard-boiled eggs, etc... ? Would medical people be interested to know why and how?

Im a big guy. These people would blow me away at the contest. Im fascinated at their feats. I read she used to stretch her stomach by drinking gallons of water.

I wonder how come we don't have a lobster eating contest. I wouldn't mind trying.

Surely you can try. I say you would have a problem finishing a 2nd two-pounder lobster, and that weight is gross weight, not the weight of the meat.

And I feel obliged to let you know that the "Black Widow" I mentioned in the above post ate "44 lobsters totaling 11.3 pounds of lobster meat in 12 minutes", according to Wikipedia.

That's more than 10% of her body weight of 98 lbs!

What's fast carb:confused:?
Sugars and processed carbs. White carbs, rice. Anything your body can quickly convert to energy.

Contrast to complex carbs. Whole grains, brown rice.... They digest slower and don't spike blood sugars as much.

Sugars and processed carbs. White carbs, rice. Anything your body can quickly convert to energy.

Contrast to complex carbs. Whole grains, brown rice.... They digest slower and don't spike blood sugars as much.

Thanks!:)

Surely you can try. I say you would have a problem finishing a 2nd two-pounder lobster, and that weight is gross weight, not the weight of the meat.

And I feel obliged to let you know that the "Black Widow" I mentioned in the above post ate "44 lobsters totaling 11.3 pounds of lobster meat in 12 minutes", according to Wikipedia.

That's more than 10% of her body weight of 98 lbs!
It was gone in less than 10 minutes. I just had 1/2 of a 3.5 pounds lobster recently. The 2.5 pounds was gone so I had to share the bigger lobster with my daughter. On top of this half lobster, I had lots of oysters and other appetizers.

Last edited:

She probably has a lot of practice eating at Korean BBQ buffet. :D

Reminds me of the Big Texan steakhouse in Amarillo. They have a 72 oz. steak (that's over 2 kilos) that is free if you can finish it (along with the sides), all within an hour.

There was a time in my life when I would have taken that challenge on and would have had a good chance of winning. Sadly, that was 48 years ago.:(

BTW, I weighed ~130 lbs.

The amount of calories that 72 hot dogs would have is insane. I just can't imagine how someone could eat so many at one time.
I get 72 hot dogs with bun at 280 calories = 20,160 total calories(minus daily requirements). Most use 3500 calories per pound = 5.76 pounds? Surely sodium would blow that out for a couple days.

I guess if you did it regularly, it's still not healthy.😁

Link to the nutritional data:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/ca...hot-dog-w-bun-from-website-479461291?v2=false

It was gone in less than 10 minutes. I just had 1/2 of a 3.5 pounds lobster recently. The 2.5 pounds was gone so I had to share the bigger lobster with my daughter. On top of this half lobster, I had lots of oysters and other appetizers.

So, you can eat more than, say, my wife, but I am not impressed. According to a couple of Web sites, a lobster holds about 1/5 of its weight in meat. That 1/2 of a 3.5-lb lobster yields only 5.6 oz of meat. That little Sonya Thomas ate 11.3 lbs or 181 oz of lobster meat. That's 32X what you ate.

Now, Sonya Thomas has been outshined in recent years by another woman. This Miki Sudo, a young Japanese-American from NY, did 192 chicken wings in 12 minutes, and a 120-oz or 7.5-lb steak (not at the same time), among other records. And she weighs 110 lbs.

Here's her picture in front of a 12-lb bowl of Vietnamese Pho. She won a prize of $1,510 for beating a challenge by a restaurant in Las Vegas, called Pho 87. They would charge $50 if a contestant failed to finish the gigantic bowl in 1987 seconds. I linked the following photo from an article in the UK Daily Mail.

For more of her eating abilities, see: Where does she put it all? Weighing just over 110 pounds, meet the woman who has made thousands stuffing her face across the globe and holds THREE food world records | Daily Mail Online

article-2567461-1BD047DB00000578-956_634x475.jpg

I find the contest disgusting. At the very least they should have to eat them as designed, with the dog in the bun like at an old state fair contest. No dipping the buns in water and all that stuff.

Many years ago while vacationing through the mountains my wife decided to enter a biscuit eating contest at a fall mountain Sorghum Syrup Festival. She will try anything once for the experience. It was really no contest and she just wanted to try the sorghum syrup they were making. She is only 5'3" so it was really no contest since she and a few others were challenging the past winner who was over 6' and looked like Haystacks Calhoun. I think she only got about 4 biscuits with syrup down in the allotted time before she called it quits. I didn't have to buy her dinner that night. :D

Cheers!

Like a few others I also find it repulsive and I can't stand to watch it. Ugh!

Reminds me of the Big Texan steakhouse in Amarillo. They have a 72 oz. steak (that's over 2 kilos) that is free if you can finish it (along with the sides), all within an hour.

I go to Big Texan when we drive through Amarillo... I do not even finish the 1/4 plate... which is 1/4th the size...

Joey Chestnut, who has won the hot dog eating contest many times, used to have the record... but it is now some 125 lb woman that holds the record... AND then ate a second one!!!!

BUT, if you look at the records online, she surpassed this with a faster time AND ate TWO more 72 oz steaks.... all under the 1 hour mark...

Two 72-oz Steaks Devoured Ridiculously Fast By Mother Of Four | HuffPost

There was one time when I was in London on July 4th where a pub had a rib eating contest... a bunch of us decided to go and check it out since I had eaten a bunch of ribs when I was younger and went to an all you can eat day....

Well, I did not sign up for the contest.... but we were behind some guy who someone knew... we were standing behind the guy and he was passing ribs back to us... I had a pretty good amount for me... in the 10 to 12 range which helped the guy out, but he was far from the best...

What you could do in your youth you cannot do today!!!

So, you can eat more than, say, my wife, but I am not impressed. According to a couple of Web sites, a lobster holds about 1/5 of its weight in meat. That 1/2 of a 3.5-lb lobster yields only 5.6 oz of meat. That little Sonya Thomas ate 11.3 lbs or 181 oz of lobster meat. That's 32X what you ate.

Now, Sonya Thomas has been outshined in recent years by another woman. This Miki Sudo, a young Japanese-American from NY, did 192 chicken wings in 12 minutes, and a 120-oz or 7.5-lb steak (not at the same time), among other records. And she weighs 110 lbs.

Here's her picture in front of a 12-lb bowl of Vietnamese Pho. She won a prize of $1,510 for beating a challenge by a restaurant in Las Vegas, called Pho 87. They would charge $50 if a contestant failed to finish the gigantic bowl in 1987 seconds. I linked the following photo from an article in the UK Daily Mail.

For more of her eating abilities, see: Where does she put it all? Weighing just over 110 pounds, meet the woman who has made thousands stuffing her face across the globe and holds THREE food world records | Daily Mail Online

I w*rk with Sonja Thomas's husband. Weird. He's always telling stories of her competitions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonya_Thomas

They're not the same any more, because they had to stop using tallow, but back in the day Nathan's fries were so awesome that sometimes we would go there just for the fries.

If you remember when McDonald's used tallow to make their fries many years ago, it was the same idea -- everyone raved about them. But Nathan's fries were simply legendary, being thicker and crinkle-cut.
The resort I worked at used to make their fries in lard. Ain't nothin' like the real thing!

Lard is great for a lot of things (pie crust comes to mind), but fries really benefit from the tallow. Big difference.

Lard = rendered pork fat

Tallow = rendered beef fat

A while back, we talked about french fries in duck fat. One of these days, I need to do a blind taste of fries in 1) duck fat, 2) pork fat, 3) beef fat and 4) vegetable oil. That will make a family party more interesting, if I arrange for more people to join the test.

Back on the competitive eaters, I watched the woman who wolfed down two 72-oz steaks in the above link, and it's scary seeing she tearing in the meat like that. I also did not like to watch people in the Nathan hotdog contest eating buns dipped in water to swallow them quicker.

When the contest or challenge time is longer, such as eating that giant bowl of Pho in 1987 seconds (1/2 hr), or the following 8-lb burger in 45 min, Miki Sudo showed more grace. Watch the following. Of course she ate the giant burger in only 16 min, and also knocked down a liter of Coke.

Back
Top Bottom