How do I sell my car?

Ronstar

Moderator Emeritus
I decided to buy a truck. But I need to sell my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee (144,000 miles) first. I put it on Craig's list and haven't received one response. Dealers don't really want it in a trade.

Anyone have good luck getting rid of an older high mileage vehicle for a decent buck? If so, how?

Make sure it is priced somewhat below kbb or edmunds fair value, and, most importantly, clean it thoroughly, inside and out.

If you live near a busy street, try to park it where lots of people can see it, with a prominently displayed for sale sign.

Make sure you have all repair records to show a prospective buyer.

In your craigslist ad, be sure to describe all the maintenance you've done on the vehicle, and include pictures.

Good luck!

Park it in a bad neighborhood with the doors unlocked and the key in the ignition?

I sold all my cars through Autotrader.com and everything always sold within 2 weeks. Good pics and detailed description is a must.

The last car I had in the States I sold at Carmax just before I moved and got a surprisingly good deal.

Check out the Autotrader type websites for similar vehicles and what prices are being asked for a vehicle similar to yours and dont confuse dealer prices with private party prices,and as said above get the car looking as good as it can be inside and out and it wouldnt be a bad idea to clean the engine bay if needed ,make sure when you check the oil on the dipstick that it looks clean.Also if you can accumulate all the paperwork dealing with the cars maintenance history it will show a prospective buyer how much you took care of the car.

As an example the Autotrader on Florida west coast area lists 3 pages of Jeep Grand Cherokees in this price range =http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?num_records=25&search_lang=en&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&search_type=used&distance=100&address=34608&marketZipError=false&style_flag=1&make=JEEP&model=JEEPGRAND&make2=&start_year=1999&end_year=2001&min_price=0&max_price=20000&seller_type=b&transmission=&engine=&drive=&doors=&fuel=&max_mileage=&color=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&keywords_display=&sort_type=priceDESC&body_code=0&certified=&advanced=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&showZipError=n&default_sort=priceDESC&awsp=false&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&systime=&rdm=1242304499189

Local advertising routes - Pennysaver, credit union classified sheet.
The personal touch - find a local hangout where contractor types and sportsmen (hunters, fishermen, boaters) are found, look for doting parents with teenage kids ;), check in with non-profits or small companies who might need a light duty delivery vehicle for small loads, etc.
Good luck!

Thanks everyone!

msmart - I have it priced at $4800 and Edmunds has it at $4300. I figured I'd list it a little high to allow for negotiation. But I suppose buyers are looking at Edmunds also and aren't interested because I'm too high. I'll lower the price down to $4,300. I've got a ton of repair records to show prospective buyers.

Trek, Jambo - I'll get it cleaned up and throw it on Autotrader. I'll take a ride to Carmax too. I know someone that said they got a great price from Carmax

Brewer, Moemg - I also tried leaving the keys in it for a few hours with the windows down, but I had no takers either. Maybe I left it in too nice a neighborhood.

Freebird - I've tried to pawn it off on a few hunters, fishermen, other jeep owners,etc, but no luck. This weekend I'm going to a party where I can try to push it off on some families with kids.

Tough economy to sell things. Good luck though. Keep at it though it will go eventually. :)

Freebird - I've tried to pawn it off on a few hunters, fishermen, other jeep owners,etc, but no luck. This weekend I'm going to a party where I can try to push it off on some families with kids.
Don't forget the small boaters! :D
I have a Jeep GC with an 8 cylinder and a tow package. It is sufficient to pull an 18' open bow powerboat with I/O, max weight safely. Smaller boats would be a cinch to pull with your Jeep.
Got any small boat marinas or state park launches nearby ?
How about a rod-n-reel club or game hunters lodge?

Almost all the time, the reason a car doesn't sell is the price is too high for the area and that vehicle.

If you lower the price, you will get calls..........

1) CarMax is great, I've sold 2 cars to them at better prices than any trade in deal. But they are not interested in older higher mileage cars and their offer will be deliberately low to make sure you don't take it. They are not in the business of selling old cars.
2) As I found out the hard way, banks and most lenders will not do a loan on any car after if crosses 100K miles. Presumably most buyers willing to buy something with 144K miles won't have cash - so you're between a rock and a hard place.

From my experience you either:
a) trade in your car at no more than 80-90K miles on it or
b) drive it until the wheels fall off and accept trade it in knowing the dealer will give you next to nothing for it (they're going to wholesale it off just to get rid of it).

Don't forget the small boaters! :D
I have a Jeep GC with an 8 cylinder and a tow package. It is sufficient to pull an 18' open bow powerboat with I/O, max weight safely. Smaller boats would be a cinch to pull with your Jeep.
Got any small boat marinas or state park launches nearby ?
How about a rod-n-reel club or game hunters lodge?

In 2006 I sold a 1997 F-150 w/ ~ 105,000 miles for $5k to a guy who wanted it just to tow his boat from the house to the ocean on weekends. This was in Florida where I used to live. Through Autotrader.com though as I mentioned above.

I just sold a car on Craigslist. I got no responses until I lowered the price twice. I still can't believe that someone gave me cash for my 19 year old rusty car with 142,000 miles on it, unrepaired collision damage, taped on tailight and an active gas leak.

I was certain I would be driving this to the junkyard or donating it to the local PBS radio station.

Good luck, your car is probably in much better shape than ours was.

I posted about my Craiglist experience in the eBay/Craigslist thread -
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/ebay-craigs-list-tips-44135.html

Pics in post #30 -
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/showpost.php?p=815225&postcount=31

They came this afternoon and paid the balance in cash, put plates on the car and it's GONE!

The peeps that bought the Camry will make a profit parting it out. There are a few hard to find parts off those and can fetch a good amount of money. I had a Camry like yours (but in much better shape) and had trouble sourcing a few replacement parts on occasion.

Well - my 7 day listing on Craigs list has expired, so I'm on to plan B. Based on help you all have provided, plan B is:

Get a price from Carmax
Put it back on Craigs list at a price just above the Carmax price
Do some marketing to locals (hunters, boaters, fishermen, etc)

Well - my 7 day listing on Craigs list has expired, so I'm on to plan B. Based on help you all have provided, plan B is:

Get a price from Carmax

And Autotrader.com

And Autotrader.com

Thanks- I forgot that one. A guy I work with sold his car in hours on Autotrader

Updated Plan B:

List it on Autotrader
Get a price from Carmax

The peeps that bought the Camry will make a profit parting it out. There are a few hard to find parts off those and can fetch a good amount of money. I had a Camry like yours (but in much better shape) and had trouble sourcing a few replacement parts on occasion.

I wondered about that because in our county and surrounding counties you must pass an emissions test before you can get it registered and licensed. There's no way it could pass with the gas drip, drip, dripping. It passed every other time with no problem, but this is pretty obvious and dangerous.

I also thought it was strange that they never drove it, just turned it on and checked under the hood. It was 2 couples in their 50's-early 60's who said they were buying it for one of their brothers to drive.

But what made me most uncomfortable was that while the men put the plates on it one of the women asked me if I go to church! If her religion is going to fix that gas leak, then bless her little heart and good luck. I already had her cash in my pocket, I was ready for them and the old car to just be done and gone.

Back
Top Bottom