How do you explain your ER situation to old friends or new people you meet?

Or how about: I was forced into early retirement.

Don't have to say you forced yourself.

Well, like others have said, it's just a bid for conversation. "What do you do" is a predictable sort of gambit, followed by "I work in _____", which in turn is followed by equally predictable Q & A where the speaker is pretending his work is more interesting/impressive than it really is, and the listener is pretending that she is more interested/impressed than she really is.

"I'm retired" leads to a much more interesting conversation, imo. "How did you manage that?" "Why retire so early?" "What do you do with all that free time?" "Are you happier now?" "Do you miss work?" (And in the back of most people's mind, "How can I pull that off?")

Last edited:
When I first retired, I was asked how I did it a few times. Now that I'm pushing 59 and apparently looking old, I never get the question.:blush:

I don't [explain]. If asked about my job, I answer that I am retired. End of story.

I'm not retired yet, so take this fwiw, but it sounds like some of you guys (OP and others) are too worried about what other people think or what your image is in their eyes. My advice is don't twist yourself in a pretzel to figure out the "right" thing to say, so that no one's feathers get ruffled and you look like a great guy. Just tell the truth and let them have whatever reaction they are going to have (which as someone else pointed out, may be none at all). Trying to manage other people's reactions to you and impressions of you is a huge waste of energy. Just tell the simple truth: "I'm retired." The end. Whatever their reactions are to that statement, that is their business and their responsibility. You ought to enjoy the fact that you're retired, not feel like you have to hide it.
Oh - looks like I took your advice before I even read it! :D

[But I still keep a low profile about it - just like I do about most personal facts - especially the financial ones.]

Thanks to all who have responded. I appreciate your time and your thoughts.

I started ER at 41 and this delicate interaction has been the biggest surprise for me so far. It isn't so much that I care a lot about what people think of me personally (although, if I am honest, that may still matter more than I would like to admit.). I have just noticed in several cases that my "I'm retired" response may have caused discomfort or certainly something other than a good feeling for the hearer. I just try to evaluate the situation and be sensitive to it and to figure out a "first do no harm" sort of approach.

There are plenty of good suggestions here that should help.
Thanks to all again.

I have met several people in the last couple of years that have retired. When I met them and asked what they did, they would simply say, "I'm retired." I congratulated them and asked what they used to do and what they like doing now that they have more free time. However, I should mention that I live in a town where the largest employer has a good pension program, so it's actually not uncommon to find retirees in their early to mid 50's. I have two years to go to vest, but am always happy for the people that have retired already.

Not retired yet but once I do I plan to respond 'I'm on a sabbatical'. What they won't know is that I plan for it to be a REALLY long sabbatical.

When asked what I do I simply say that I'm retired and I rarely get asked how I managed it at such a "young" age. If asked I simply say that I was fortunate to have a good pension. (I do, and it covers about 60% of our current expenses but I don't go into that much detail).

Just yesterday we got talking to 2 couples on top of Diamond Hill in Connemara National Park, Ireland. We had just climbed it and actually recognized each other from the day before when our paths had crossed hiking on the island of Inishbofin. They were from Boulder, Colorado and on vacation together. While we talked it was obvious we were in the middle of a very long trip and when we told them we were retired they didn't ask any details, just congratulated us, and asked about some of the other places we had visited.

(the 2 ladies of the couples are in the background of the attached photo, just before we started talking)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    474 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I have a brother who has FIREd and he tells people he is an "independent consultant". When they ask him in what area, he says "whatever area I choose".

I have just noticed in several cases that my "I'm retired" response may have caused discomfort or certainly something other than a good feeling for the hearer. I just try to evaluate the situation and be sensitive to it and to figure out a "first do no harm" sort of approach.

I'll bet that a lot of the discomfort is just the surprise of the unexpected response. "What do you do?" is normally followed by a discussion of work. Very predictable social chatter. When a younger guy/gal gives them a "I'm retired," that probably throws them off. They expected a discussion about work, but instead they find none. They don't quite know what to do with that. They were looking for something to grab hold of, conversationally, but instead they've got thin air.

If you're interested in smoothing out that awkward moment, you could just go on to describe the things you do in your free time. That'll give them something to respond to.

Also, I think the less awkward/worried we are about talking about retirement, the less other people will be. Just talk about it naturally, as if it's no big deal. If you start to think this is a delicate, fragile situation that needs to be handled carefully, you're going to be apprehensive about the discussion, and apprehension is contagious. Then the discomfort you are picking up on is (at least partly) of your own making.

Just handle it matter-of-fact, and give them something to grab hold of, conversationally, by filling in some details about how you spend your time. Chances are, there are some interesting tidbits there.

First person to ask me was the Immigration officer when I returned to US Monday. I think he had to let me in as I am an American citizen but I guess I felt I had to prove I have (or at least had) some redeeming social value and was not a burden on society because I felt compelled to reply I am a retired physician instead of simply I am retired. Have not had this question socially yet....

If one is feeling mischevious:

1. "I'm unemployed." Let it go at that. If there are further inquiries make up an outlandish story.

2. "I just got out of prison and haven't found a job yet. Can I list you as a reference?"

3. "I got FIRED."

Other suggestions?

If one is feeling mischevious:

1. "I'm unemployed." Let it go at that. If there are further inquiries make up an outlandish story.

2. "I just got out of prison and haven't found a job yet. Can I list you as a reference?"

3. "I got FIRED."

Other suggestions?

Q: What do you do?
A: About what?

After a round of golf, the question came up. I replied that I had recently retired. The person asking has recently ERed too. Next question: what did you DO? When I replied that I was a physician, she responded "but how can you do that, physicians don't retire!"

It is clear that we have a lot of education to do!

+1,000!!!

As US medicine has changed, seems most docs now get fed-up with the increasing BS & look forward to retirement (whether ER or "normal" age). My own doc (of 20+yrs) is in that camp. Says it now takes him almost as much time on overall bureaucratic overhead (paperwork, meetings, etc.) as he can spend with patients :(

I'm not to that point yet, but here are my favorites, collected from above:
"I wanted to try something new, so I'm now a self-employed investment manager."

I'm currently taking a break from working - you know how it is.

"My current wealth management position consumes all of my time."

...an "independent consultant". When they ask him in what area, he says "whatever area I choose".

Q: What do you do?
A: About what?
:)

After a round of golf, the question came up. I replied that I had recently retired. The person asking has recently ERed too. Next question: what did you DO? When I replied that I was a physician, she responded "but how can you do that, physicians don't retire!"

It is clear that we have a lot of education to do!

OK, "Physicians don't retire" isn't a great response; it sounds as if she was surprised. If you and I just met, and I heard/learned or you told me that you were a retired physician, I would be curious about that/about you. I would wonder why a physician would retire at a youngish age. And, that would be because I never met a physician who retired early (although apparently they do exist).

I'm guessing that if I seemed genuinely curious about your situation, you might be willing to talk about it to some degree.

Last edited:
I still do some contract computer work so I just tell people that I consulting these days and can do much of the work from home.

Back
Top Bottom