How Much Is A Haircut?

When they started charging a dollar a hair, I started doing it myself. Easy enough to do with my do.

Sticker shock (and i'm young). I've been living around the world for a while now and just back visiting the good ol' USA. Having sticker shock at times. I've been having some haircuts for $2-$3 and many for $10 - all overseas. In rural(ish) Texas, I just went to two places that charge $19 or $20. I'm talking standard men's haircut. These are just regular barber shops?

What do you pay?

The one that charges $20 gives you a dedicated 1/2 hour. So by my calculations, that is $40 an hour or an equivalent salary of $83,000. That is assuming he is full up for 8 hours a day. When I checked his calendar he was pretty full.

Is the rural Texas you are in perhaps 'oil-country' or near the state of Austin?

$15 at home in Vermont, $10 in Sarasota... $2 tip in both cases... so $17 and $12, respectively.

I bought an $18 clipper 18 years ago...DW does the clipping.

Rambler - what brand clipper are you using? We bought a clipper several years ago for DH and it lasted for about 3 cuts before it died. Any special maintenance other than cleaning the hair out?

Otherwise DH spends $10 for his cuts, takes less than 5 minutes in the chair.

Yes, but you're the one who did simple math and called it equivalent salary, when it's not.

The point is, plenty of businesses similar to a barber, where they don't make $40/hr and still have the overhead you suggest.

When I visit family in Southern California, I go to a certain place in a strip mall and it is $12 plus I tip $2.

Here in the Philippines, I go to an upscale place for my haircuts, the cost is $3 plus $1 tip.

$32 plus tip in Suburban DC. Place is a bit fancy, but works for me.

I bought an $18 clipper 18 years ago...DW does the clipping. My hair gets cut round 20 times per year. So, by one way of reckoning, we're now down to about 5 cents per cut. Since I keep it clipped pretty short, I have trouble dishing out $15 plus tips to have it done for me...about 3-4 minutes in the chair...not a whole lot of styling going on there. I'm hoping to get another 18-20 years out of the clipper...more if I can. I'm targeting 2 cents per clip average over time, if I can keep it running that long.

Ha!

Same with me, although I have so little hair remaining that I'm motivated more by the time it would take to go to the barber and wait for an available chair than the cost.

The point is, plenty of businesses similar to a barber, where they don't make $40/hr and still have the overhead you suggest.

The point is, he's not clearing $83K as you claim. Nobody else said anything about other businesses.

It's been $12 here in Texas at one of the local barber shops for at least the last 10 years. Add a tip and it's $15. One offers a senior discount ($10) but I still pay the $15 since I'm young at heart.

Wow you guys are cheap (or LBYM). Here in Mn the toll is $37 + tip and I am losing my hair. Go every 5 wks

Why are we cheap for paying the going rate? I go to a typical barber shop, where I walk in and sit and wait if the chairs are full. I don't have enough hair to warrant making an appointment with a hair stylist.

$14 was just put up to $16. Bought a Wahl clipper, now they get $0.

At the local barber shop, it's $17 for a haircut and $8 for a beard trim. They never seem to charge for the beard trim, but I give them $25 anyway.

I'm heading there today, as a matter of fact.

$9 in Gulf Shores, AL. I always wait until I go to my condo to get a cut as it's $15-18 at my home in MS. Crazy.

The posted priced is $16 but they charge me $13. Not sure if it a senior discount or because I have so little hair. Haircut takes bout 10 minutes. I usually leave a $5 tip.

Last edited:
Hair Cuttery charges each of us $25 for a shampoo, cut, and blow dry. Plus I leave a 20% tip. We have curly hair and the stylist respects the curls. Regular barbers are death on curly hair for some reason.

I am hair challenged ( top of head only). I get my haircut done at Great Clips here in Illinois. I look for the $7.00 coupons which come in the mail. Takes the stylist :cool: about 5-7 minutes to cut my hair. I'm good for a $3-$4 tip and yes, I am cheap.

I bought an $18 clipper 18 years ago...DW does the clipping. My hair gets cut round 20 times per year. So, by one way of reckoning, we're now down to about 5 cents per cut. Since I keep it clipped pretty short, I have trouble dishing out $15 plus tips to have it done for me...about 3-4 minutes in the chair...not a whole lot of styling going on there. I'm hoping to get another 18-20 years out of the clipper...more if I can. I'm targeting 2 cents per clip average over time, if I can keep it running that long.

Same here - invested $50 bucks in equipment many, many years ago. Since then, 0$ per cut, no waiting in line, no criticisms from DW (since she is doing the work. :cool:).

Rambler - what brand clipper are you using? We bought a clipper several years ago for DH and it lasted for about 3 cuts before it died. Any special maintenance other than cleaning the hair out?

Otherwise DH spends $10 for his cuts, takes less than 5 minutes in the chair.

I use a Whal set. Was about $50 back in the 90-ies. Looks and feels pretty much like the professional clippers. Other than wiping, I have never done any maintenance (though it did actually come with oil for lubricating - still unopened. :D)

Back
Top Bottom