How often do you put people on this board on "Ignore?"

Yes, some posters have said they think the "ignore" list/count should be made public. To me, that just reeks of 'group think'.

Yeah, that was (very) poor phrasing on my part. What I meant was along the lines of letting the person know what the problem was so that the rest of us can (theoretically) benefit from the "talking to."

I agree, the name of a specific person should not be mentioned out loud. (I have only noticed this happen about single person who haunted this forum long before I showed up -- he is still mentioned periodically.)

I have placed three, and taken two off, the one that remains no longer post, but i found his post so obnoxious and belligerent, I left him on just in case he ever comes back.

How often do you put people on this board on "Ignore?"

I've only done it once. I was getting about 25 PMs a day from one forum member and enough is enough.

Sorry about that...........I was on a drinking binge that week..........;)

lemme guess...he wanted pictures, right? :LOL:

I did it, thanks. It's easy and works very well. I'll keep that in mind if I start seeing too many "the world is ending" posts. ;)

From my POV negative posts (about markets or economics) are just the ones not to ignore. As retired investors we mostly tend to have very optimistic investment outlooks, but I can't see any reason that these optomistic viewpoints should be correct jsut because they are optimistic. Intelligent anaysis is where you find it, not solely optimistic or solely pessimistic.

Negitive posts about the futility of life are another thing, but I haven't encountered many of those. :)

Ha

Don't have anyone on ignore. Haven't been around long enough or interacted with enough people here to know if I ever would. I am guessing I wouldn't, as I have been on another board for years and have never done so. It is just as easy (for me) to skip posts I don't want to read.

But I suspect if I did - it would be for the same reason as FireDreamer. Not because I disagreed with the person's position(s), but more because of they way they delivered it. Some people do have a special "charm" about them. :whistle:

Lastly, I don't think it is wrong if someone wants to put someone on ignore for whatever reason. The option was put there to be used.

Yeah, that was (very) poor phrasing on my part. What I meant was along the lines of letting the person know what the problem was so that the rest of us can (theoretically) benefit from the "talking to."

I agree, the name of a specific person should not be mentioned out loud. (I have only noticed this happen about single person who haunted this forum long before I showed up -- he is still mentioned periodically.)

Opps, it was probably *my*wording that was bad - I (think I) understood exactly what *you* meant!

Hopefully I don't dig a deeper hole, but I think we are saying the same thing - that the person being ignored could be notified, but that would not be made public to others. Some other people (not you) had mentioned a public ignore list with a count attached ( like: ERD50 is being ignored by 311,364 members) , and that is what I see as 'group think'. If I were to put someone on ignore, it would likely be for a totally different reason (actually, probably the opposite reason) than someone else, it just seems silly. It should become obvious pretty quick if you really, really do not want to read a particular poster.

-ERD50

Newbie here. Interesting question, an even more interesting replies.

I like having an "ignore" feature. Never intend to use it though. I'm pretty good at mentally ignoring the messenger as it is.

You see, I used to be a frequent poster at 2 - not just 1 - Cleveland sports forums a few years back. You want opinionated sonnuvabitches - er, know it alls? You want personality clashes? You want never-to-be-proven yet certain-to-succeed ways to win at something? Visit a Cleveland sports forum. Any of them.

And if I had the chance to ignore someone I wouldn't have. This forum? I'm still learning. In many ways. Intend to be part of the group who ADDS to the conversation somehow. And I can see two ways I'd ever use the ignore feature:

(1) Somebody who is simply shouting down somebody else.

(2) Trolls. Or more, trolls who are not entertaining and/or bringing up interesting questions.

So far I've encountered what - at one point or another - are posters who fit both of these since late April when I started lurking here. (My SO hates that word so I'm hesitant to use it, even here.)

Regards to the former - there's a thread still probably going on in the other topic forum where s/he is being ganged up on and is still nonetheless arguing the SAME point time and time again. Truth is, it's no longer fun to read the thread. So I'm not. Imagine my lesson last week when s/he started a new thread about something different... about something that means something to some of us here... and found out that most replies were sincere and tried to be helpful!

Compared to a sports forum? This place rocks.

Regards to the latter? I'd like to refer to a specific thread that I missed the start on but got caught up with this weekend. The OP is - IMVHO - a troll. But s/he (a) posted with complete respect for everyone here, (b) asked questions that probably could make for several conductive threads, and (c) even the most critical of posters attacked to post and not the poster.

Yeah, I guess I'm saying it'll take a lot before I use the ignore function. And yes, I'm glad the feature is there!

From my POV negative posts (about markets or economics) are just the ones not to ignore. As retired investors we mostly tend to have very optimistic investment outlooks, but I can't see any reason that these optomistic viewpoints should be correct jsut because they are optimistic. Intelligent anaysis is where you find it, not solely optimistic or solely pessimistic.

Ha

I guess I should clarify my earlier post. I said my ignore list consist mainly of doom and gloom posters, but it's not just that. It's the manner in which they deliver their opinion. I don't mind negative opinions. Heck, a lot of your post are not always cheery with respect to economics or the markets. But I enjoy listening to your POV. I just can't tolerate these 'I told you so' posters.

I have 2 people on ignore.

I'd like to put some of the mods on ignore. I'm serious.
We should be able to do this.

Nothing personal, just don't need to see some of the posts I see.

If they need to say anything to me, they could make a sticky post or send PM/email.

It's the thing I hate most about this forum.

If they need to say anything to me, they could make a sticky post or send PM/email.

You don't need an ignore feature to ignore people or posts you don't like.

I have seen this subject coming up time and time again, and I am relatively new here.

I still do not have anyone on "ignore", and probably never will if I have survived up to this point. It's not that I do not find some posts obnoxious or at least annoying, but I always like to give people a second chance, or a 3rd or 4th or 5th chance :)

I usually try to get a chuckle out of some outrageous posts, and definitely do not want to take personally anything people say, unless it is directed at me specifically and I don't think this has happened. I do go through every one's post when reading a thread, and the ones that I found offensive in the past, I just glimpse over and do not take seriously.

Life is too short to get upset over someone else's opinions, particularly on an Internet forum. I have even learned to ignore my own brother when he is ranting over some political silly things. Yes, I can ignore him conditionally at the dinning table when I need to, but we still invite each other to family functions. And I can still talk to him about non-political issues.

See? Now this is the reason folks get pushed out of shape by the ignore feature... mods are people too ;)

IMO the ignore feature is best used and then not mentioned in polite company; akin to personal hygiene products or various medications. Use them as you feel you need to but please don't tell the rest of us about it. :nonono:

It does seem only fair that since mods can't ignore anyone, that they cannot be ignored. An odd bit of ether-equity.

I have never put anyone on ignore. I enjoy reading most people's opinions on various subjects. If anyone puts me on ignore, please don't tell me, because I know that my feelings will be hurt. I will also say that I would be truly sorry for anything that I said that would upset anyone else.

I use the ignore feature mostly for those posters which are borderline spam.

I am POSITIVE I am on a few forum member's ignore list.........:)

I imagine I'm on a few ignore lists as well. Of course this doesn't bother me much as I don't have anything important to say...more than likely this fact will remain the same. They ain't missin' much! :LOL:

I have never put anyone on ignore. I enjoy reading most people's opinions on various subjects. If anyone puts me on ignore, please don't tell me, because I know that my feelings will be hurt. I will also say that I would be truly sorry for anything that I said that would upset anyone else.

Words like these come from the heart of a good and decent person. Hurt feelings is something I hope you never experience.

I guess I should clarify my earlier post. I said my ignore list consist mainly of doom and gloom posters, but it's not just that. It's the manner in which they deliver their opinion. I don't mind negative opinions. Heck, a lot of your post are not always cheery with respect to economics or the markets. But I enjoy listening to your POV. I just can't tolerate these 'I told you so' posters.

Dawg, I do know what you mean about this, and also about some of my economics posts not being exactly cheery. :)

Ha

I am POSITIVE I am on a few forum member's ignore list.........:)

I imagine I'm on a few ignore lists as well. Of course this doesn't bother me much as I don't have anything important to say...more than likely this fact will remain the same. They ain't missin' much! :LOL:

I prefer to look at it this way- You aren't on the ignore lists of those who care about you- Once someone puts you on ignore, they cease to matter, anyway- it's a two way street.

Back
Top Bottom