How old is your furnace? It would help to know the type furnace (gas, LP, electric, o

Around here, some places that inspect say they guarantee your furnace won't fail for 6 months after inspection.
It cost me ~$69

Around here it is twice that even with a coupon and I have never seen a guarantee like that.

Florida Condo: Trane Furnace/AC (Electric) 7 years old (No issues so far)
Socal Home: Lennox Furnace/AC (Natural Gas, Electric) 25 years old (repaired controller card twice and then changed controller card once)

Gas forced hot air Rheem.
30+ years. A couple of igniters, a thermocoupler, and a controller board within the last 20 years.

I have one of those too! Smaller and it's an insert, but I won't run it if it's over 50 outside. These new EPA wood burners are super efficient, use very little fuel and will warm the whole house if you can circulate the air.

27284279839_3eecdb08ce_z.jpg
I've occasionally thought of replacing my ancient wood burning stove with a modern efficient one. But I live on 7 acres in the forests of SW Oregon with mixed Pines, Oaks and Madrone trees. 4 of the acres are heavily forested and each acre furnishes about 1 cord of standing dead wood per year. I generally burn between 2-3 cords per year so the economic incentive is not there for me to upgrade my stove. The only incentive is a visual one. My stove is an old metal box, I don't get to see the pretty flames like you do :)

You have to feed the fire 2-3 times every day and clean the ashes. Maybe it's not "maintenance" but it's a daily chore.
True enough, it would be a chore if I disliked it or was unable to do it. Fortunately, when I work with my "digital stove" (it takes the digits in my hand to adjust the damper :)) I feel very grateful that I'm able to heat my house with the wood from my own place and it really comes in handy to have a wood stove without any electronics when the power goes out for days as it happens occasionally around here.

Replaced the natural gas furnace when it was 35 years old as part of my long term projects to cut on-going costs - double pane windows, more insulation in the attic, and I've gone through lots and lots of caulk: you wouldn't believe how big some of the gaps were!

I've tracked utility usage since we bought the house (17 years) and the improvements I've done have helped. With the cost of gas and electricity rising steadily, our heating and cooling costs (in the sunny, muggy Southeast US - but we occasionally have single digit winter nights) have not increased at the same rate That's a savings and the entire house is more comfortable.

A newer and typically more efficient furnace will have more electronics and be subject to glitches the older furnace never experienced. Our fancy furnace (now 11 years old) hiccuped this week with the "inducer" (fan that assists the draft for the burners) running about 2-3 seconds, stopping and waiting a minute, then repeat. I turned things OFF after the third cycle of that and a few hours later the furnace ran normally. The HVAC guy was here for the scheduled check two days later and tested things. The furnace controller board passed all the diagnostices and there were NO stored faults. As he said "Can't fix something that isn't broke". If he can't see it, he can't investigate it but the glitch has been documented.

Pretty sure mine's from '63, original to the house. Mostly because it was scratched out as an original LP but we have city's natural gas. Forced air. Has had the blower motor replaced.

PS..the AC just went out in summer. Probably a leak as the system fired up.

I love that the folks now say plan 15-20 years.

My oil boiler is one day old! Installed yesterday! Replaced a 29 year old boiler due to a cracked heat exchanger.

Oldie

Hi just replaced a gravity water boiler internet for unit apartment house that we own simply because I know it's going to go one winter and I don't want to have to scramble. This boiler has been in operation since 1947 and has been serviced by the same company since its installation that year. That very company replaced it with a $20,000 super condensing natural gas boiler just last month. We kept all the radiators, they ended up installing 1200 ft of PEX pipe to service all these radiators. Frankly, if I wasn't worried about Maine winters, I would have left the boiler going forever. No circulator pumps, simply a steam type boiler but instead of steam all the piping and radiators are filled with hot water. The boiler heats the water, which of course expands the molecules, it pushes that hot water up through the system through the radiators until it reaches the top four where it begins to cool, the molecules condense and it rushes its way back to the boiler to start the process all over again. A giant marshmallow looking asbestos coated hunk from a Stephen King novel, wavering away since 1947 without a hiccup.

Anyone get their hands on a Tesla HVAC !?! :)

Last edited:
Replaced the oil fired boiler in June, old Weil McLain was about 35 yrs old. Put in a Peerless with a Arielle burner. Also supplement with the Vermont Castings insert in the fireplace.

The last time I had a furnace was a kerosene burner until it finally gave up the ghost in 1985. It was probably original to the house in 1955. I wanted air conditioning as well as heat so I bought a heat pump. Unfortunately those don't last more than 12-15 yrs in Florida next to the ocean.

Cheers!

Original system in this house was gas, forced air from about 1963, about 65% efficiency. Fan motor replaced twice. Replaced in 1996 with A/C added to the system with an 80% efficient unit. Replaced again in 2019 when combustion fan intermittently squeal (a shot of lube was a temporary fix) but the control board failed. Estimates to fix both problems would cost about $800. Replaced the furnace with a 95% efficient unit (Bryant) at a installed cos of $3000.

It really pays to obtain multiple quotes as the mark-up on these items can be high. As the cost of natural gas in my area was quite low, at first I did not seek a high efficiency unit, but one contractor bid a HE unit for the same price that another contractor bid a standard 80% unit installed, and the installation work on the HE unit was much more work ( running PVC piping). Extremely satisfied. Took about two months to get bids and installation and had to live with recirculating fan hot wired at 100% duty during the time. It was Feb to March but we had heat, just noisy. Still have the 25 year old A/C that worked flawlessly this summer (but in our area, some summers it is only used intermittently but this last summer used two solid months.).

Our furnace was installed (well, first used) in 1970 (Nov). That's 51 years! The only mechanical work that has ever been done was replacing the thermocouple a year ago. Of course, the filter has been replaced on a regular schedule without fail.

Our gas furnace is from 2001, and replaced the blower last year...
not bad for a camper....

I said this up thread, but one thing we learned when we replaced our old furnace with a new one was it was way more efficient and quiet. We wished we would have done it sooner to enjoy the benefits of it before we sold. Had we stayed in the house, it would have paid for itself just in energy costs.

I said this up thread, but one thing we learned when we replaced our old furnace with a new one was it was way more efficient and quiet. We wished we would have done it sooner to enjoy the benefits of it before we sold. Had we stayed in the house, it would have paid for itself just in energy costs.

I know most of the reasons why newer units are more efficient, but what makes them quieter? We replaced a 12 yr old R12 heat pump and the new condenser motor and compressor are very quiet but I believe you went from no AC to AC.

I know most of the reasons why newer units are more efficient, but what makes them quieter? We replaced a 12 yr old R12 heat pump and the new condenser motor and compressor are very quiet but I believe you went from no AC to AC.

No clue. It went from a low rumble to a whisper.

30+ years on home furnace, over 22+ years on 2 rental furnaces.

The home furnace had the heat exchanger replaced after 5 years due to manufacturer's recall.

Almost 40 years ago, DW and I remodeled the old family "homestead" on the mainland. We replaced a steam-heat boiler (radiators that clanged all night) with a super-high efficiency gas unit that sat outside (like an AC - in fact it included AC.) Over these past 40 years, we have averaged about 12 years between replacements. For whatever reasons, these units do not last. I think there is more complication in the heat transfer process (glycol solution pumped inside to a blower, etc. etc.) They ARE efficient (90+%) but do not last, even though we rarely are there in winter, so they work against a 55 degree inside temperature. Heh, heh, the old steam furnace was what I grew up with in the house and it lasted for more than 30 years. YMMV

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom