How much does it cost you to run your home (2022)? - See first post for criteria.

The HVAC contract zero plus zero repairs is throwing me in these responses.

I'm assuming the cost is negligible and thus just ignored.. or are people really never having their HVACs checked out yearly, every other year, not unless they break? I mean furnace filters cost something.

Dryer vent cleaning? does everyone really do that themselves? Ive had a few friends have theirs catch on fire and mine almost did when the hose got disconnected when moving it back in place...so I no longer do it myself.

We don't have AC other than a window unit for the bedroom. For heat and hot water, we have a gas boiler and radiators. There is very little to break and no consumables (e.g. filters). Haven't had any service or repair in years. I think the last thing was a new electronic controller about 5 years ago, which cost a few hundred dollars. I do have to bleed the radiators myself every year, but that is really easy. And, yes, I do clean my own dryer vent.

I have 5 friends in Florida that were denied home insurance because of their Solar panels. Seems contrary to common sense in Florida ..... Really! 3 of them removed the panels and the other 2 removed their roof from their policies. Go Figure.

From an insurance perspective, this is becoming more common and insurance companies are taking notice based on their experiences. There's an interesting point to consider here. According to a local Florida newspaper (Sun Sentinel), some insurance companies are evaluating the risk of injury or damage to the utility grid due to net metering connections. Advocates argue that this isn't a big concern, but it's worth noting that insurance companies might have already dealt with legal issues related to this and didn't have positive outcomes.

Some insurers are cautious about taking on this liability. It could be because they lack sufficient data to calculate reasonable premiums using actuarial analysis, or they might have had previous legal disputes regarding repairs and replacements related to claims. Insurance companies are in the business of selling policies, so if they are reluctant to provide coverage, there are likely valid reasons that we may not have considered. However, some companies still offer policies, although they might not be your first choice, and keep in mind that the premiums might include hidden costs for the "free" electricity.

Re the house, I pay the property tax, home owner's insurance, and umbrella insurance. DH pays utilities, auto insurance and maintenance. With the exception of water, our utilities are high. (I would pay for any major repairs/ renovations.) Auto for two retired people is high (but I max out coverage).

DS is paying for internet (and buys a lot of the food - which is not on the list).

We have no mortgage, and we have no hired help (barring someone coming by for HVAC or "unexpected" repairs. The house is not large (Zillow has it listed as under 1500 sft - I believe that is incorrect - and it is about 200 sft larger than that). The lot is about 75 by 100. There is no pool. I haven't received my property tax bill for this year yet (school taxes should arrive in October) as will my home owner's insurance bill. I notice I go neck and neck with Gumby for those - although the taxes on my inherited house are about $1,000 less than the marital house in which we previously lived. (The exact same house, on the exact same block.) Back of envelope, our yearly home owner expenses are slightly north of 40k.

Last edited:
note: suburb of Los Angeles

850 mortgage
407 HOA
350 elect, gas, water
160 internet and TV
850 Prop taxes
300 house insur plus earthquake insurance
2917......total per month

Scottsdale, Arizona

3,000 sq ft house
1484 sq ft shop
15,000 gallon pool
1 acre lot

No mortgage, HOA, gas, pool service, landscaping service

Annual Expenses for 2022

Trash and Water $758.86
Electricity $2238.27
Landline Phone $275.24
Internet $1188.00
Property Tax $3504.14
Property Insurance $1259.00
General Maintenance (Wild Guess) $1000

Total $10221.51

4800sq 4/3.5 brick home in tidewater Virginia. Built 1998: we have lived here
since 2005. Household is our catch all for home maintenance/minor repairs
etc. Gas/Electric is for House and outbuildings on same meter plus propane for
upstairs fireplace and generator. Home insurance includes umbrella policy.

Auto Insurance 1,180.00
Household 15,885.07
Home Insurance 2,304.00
Property Tax -house 4,478.00
Internet-Starlink 1,440.00
Gas & Electric 5,513.00
Phone/cell/DSL 3,175.55
Total 2022 33,975.62
monthly average 2,831.30

built 1998, 3400 sf finished, last 12 months

Central Illinois

1) [-]Mortgage, if one has one[/-].
2) [-]Rent if one rents their home[/-]
3) [-]HOA if one has one[/-]
4) Landscaping and Lawn Maintenance if applicable 360
5) Electricity 965
6) Gas 1,100
7) Water + trash 780
8) Internet (This is really a Mandatory Expense) Cable & TV however may not be. 939
9) Umbrella, Auto, Flood & Home Insurance HO+Umb 1900, 2 cars 865
10)[-] Pest Control [/-]
11) HVAC Maintenance Contract 170
12) Property Tax 7,710
13) General Home Maintenance; HVAC, Pool, Roof, Windows, Painting Ect. 1,000

14,924 (excluding auto insurance), 1,243 per month

Almost half of your cost is Property Taxes! Wow!

Almost half of your cost is Property Taxes! Wow!

The price you pay to live in paradise :LOL:

One the plus side, no income taxes on any retirement income, pensions, SS, IRA withdrawals. We could downsize and cut our PT but we really like the area we are in, so...

Here in Orange County, CA

Yearly $ 19,604.28

Exterminators $831.60
ADT Security $903.36
HOA $1,020.00
Lawn Service $1,200.00
Property taxes $6,729.60
Homeowners Insurance $1,979.00
Utilities $2,934.00
Earthquake Ins $508.00
Cell Phone $720.00
Gas Company $726.00
Internet/Streaming $1,500.00

Last edited:
Almost the same--but doesn't coun t the big lumpy house repairs

Not a Poll, but it could have been. This would be for your main home that you reside in for tax purposes not any rental or vacation properties you may own. I thought it would be interesting to compare by home build year, home size and state.

I was calculating how much our home cost to run and how much increase there would be in 2023. I recon it will be 25% more this year. I will not know exactly till December as we have not had our Home insurance bill yet.

These would be Mandatory expenses that one has to live. does not include Medical, Vacations etc. Just what it cost to keep a roof over your head.

Here are what I came up with, some may have other expenses some may have less. Size of home and State may also be useful to know.

Built 2002 - 3,300sqft Home in Florida Coastal Location.

1) Mortgage, if one has one.
2) Rent if one rents their home
3) HOA if one has one
4) Landscaping and Lawn Maintenance if applicable
5) Electricity
6) Gas
7) Water
8) Internet (This is really a Mandatory Expense) Cable & TV however may not be.
9) Umbrella, Auto, Flood & Home Insurance
10) Pest Control
11) HVAC Maintenance Contract
12) Property Tax
13) General Home Maintenance; HVAC, Pool, Roof, Windows, Painting Ect.

I have attached our spreadsheet of what I track and the totals for 2022 are:

$24,378 for the year or $2031 per month.

Like my title says--the same but I have been hit over seven years with an8K furnace, 3K in irrigation repairs, etc.

Not a Poll, but it could have been. This would be for your main home that you reside in for tax purposes not any rental or vacation properties you may own. I thought it would be interesting to compare by home build year, home size and state.

I was calculating how much our home cost to run and how much increase there would be in 2023. I recon it will be 25% more this year. I will not know exactly till December as we have not had our Home insurance bill yet.

These would be Mandatory expenses that one has to live. does not include Medical, Vacations etc. Just what it cost to keep a roof over your head.

Here are what I came up with, some may have other expenses some may have less. Size of home and State may also be useful to know.

Built 2002 - 3,300sqft Home in Florida Coastal Location.

1) Mortgage, if one has one.
2) Rent if one rents their home
3) HOA if one has one
4) Landscaping and Lawn Maintenance if applicable
5) Electricity
6) Gas
7) Water
8) Internet (This is really a Mandatory Expense) Cable & TV however may not be.
9) Umbrella, Auto, Flood & Home Insurance
10) Pest Control
11) HVAC Maintenance Contract
12) Property Tax
13) General Home Maintenance; HVAC, Pool, Roof, Windows, Painting Ect.

I have attached our spreadsheet of what I track and the totals for 2022 are:

$24,378 for the year or $2031 per month.

Our house was built in 1910. We bought it in 2009 for 42K It's ~1400 sq. feet. 4 bedrooms, 1 bath on 1-1/2 lots in town. Paid off in 2020.

Mortgage - $0
Rent - $0
HOA - $0
Landscaping and Lawn Maintenance - $15.00 (Annual gas for the lawnmower/snowblower)
Electricity (2022) - $1,135.49
Gas (2022) - $809.76
Water - $670.56
Internet (This is really a Mandatory Expense) = $1,151.74 (Includes landline telephone since we do not own cell phones)
Cable & TV - $139.00 (Amazon Prime but also includes free 6-day shipping :facepalm:)
Umbrella, Auto, Flood & Home Insurance - $588.00 (Home insurance only - Vehicles are separate)
Pest Control - $0
HVAC Maintenance Contract - $0
Property Tax - $841.01
General Home Maintenance - $1,000.00 (Owned for 14 years. Spent about 13K so far)
Total: $6,350.56 :cool:

The HVAC contract zero plus zero repairs is throwing me in these responses.

I'm assuming the cost is negligible and thus just ignored.. or are people really never having their HVACs checked out yearly, every other year, not unless they break? I mean furnace filters cost something.

Dryer vent cleaning? does everyone really do that themselves? Ive had a few friends have theirs catch on fire and mine almost did when the hose got disconnected when moving it back in place...so I no longer do it myself.

We have central air, but I blow out the outdoor condenser/fan with my air compressor every other year or so. I had to replace a capacitor once in 14 years, but it was only $45 and I did it myself. Furnace filters? I can usually pick up a 5-pack at Wal-Mart for around $5 and I only change it twice a year so all in all I'd say the cost was negligible. I had the 1986 furnace replaced in 2020 but included that in home repairs. My dryer vent is straight and only about 8 inches in length. I visually inspect it when I'm outside cutting the grass in the summer. I cleaned it out once when I replaced the belt but there wasn't much build-up to clean out.

This is what we Budget. Some years some of the Categories are a lot less and some years more....
We'll revise each year based on the Actual Spend for the previous year and guesstimate any big One Time expenses for the coming year.

1) Mortgage, if one has one. $0
2) Rent if one rents their home $0
3) HOA if one has one $25
4) Landscaping and Lawn Maintenance if applicable $600
5) Electricity $380
6) Gas $100
7) Water $250
8) Internet (This is really a Mandatory Expense) Cable & TV however may not be. $90
9) Umbrella, Auto, Flood & Home Insurance $880
10) Pest Control $40
11) HVAC Maintenance Contract $0
12) Property Tax $600
13) General Home Maintenance; HVAC, Pool, Roof, Windows, Painting Ect. $400
Total $3,365 per Month
$40,380 per Year

Last edited:
Oklahoma (primary home)

Italian style 1600sqft condo(smallest on property) built 1980. 2bed/2.5bath/2car condo secure gated community.
No mortgages.
No debt.
No rent.
Emergency fund-$200k

Monthly-
HOA (all outside maintenance,insurance,salaries,security,amenities,basic cable TV,Sentricon pest control,snow removal,etc.)- $318
Electricity- $75
Gas- $50
Water/sewer/refuse- $61
Internet-$70
Interior maintenance- $0-$50
Insurance Auto/HO6/umbrella-$120
Personal property tax-$138
$882/mo.
$10,584/yr.

Beach condo south Florida gulf side.
Midrise,1500sqft,2bed/2.5bath.4th floor Gulf/marina/waterway/beach views.
Total is around $22k/yr.

1654 sq ft house built in 1955 in Northeast Ohio.

No mortgage or HOA
Electricity, water, sewer, trash and recycling (one bill from the city)- 175/mo
Gas - 85/mo
Internet - 80/mo
Home Insurance - 62/mo
Property Tax - 310/mo
General Home Maintenance - I don't set aside a monthly amount. We just save excess money monthly and use it when needed for "lumpy expenses".

Monthly total is $712. Annual $8544.

I expect our property taxes to go up as our county just did a reassessment and everyone's value went up significantly. Our value now closely matches Zillow.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom