"I Won't Hire People Who Use Poor Grammar. Here's Why."

My grandparents speak Appalachian (the version of English that they subtitle in tv documentaries) so I figure if I can eek out anything resembling easily interpretable English (written or spoken), then it is a good enough improvement over the course of three generations. :)

Have you ever seen the Jesco White "Dancing Outlaw" documentaries about his style of mountain dancing? Absolutely fascinating, but terrifying at the same time. Among our friends, many of the quotes have passed into regular use, to our immense entertainment.

How's that thread drift coming along? :D

@Nemo Thanks for the kind words, but I had to work too hard. It would be nicer if the words just came out faster, and with me having to do less editing and correcting before I hit "Post".

By the way, the lyrics that George sang were "BBBad to the bone" and not as I quoted in an earlier post. I am getting so senile, it scares me.

I am not a habitual listener of rock music, but I do try different things that life has to offer.

George Thorogood And The Destroyers - Bad To The Bone - YouTube

Last edited:
I, too, am a grammarian. I find that when I read something by someone who cannot distinguish "here" and "hear", "your" and "you're" and so forth, I value the worth of their writing somewhat less than if they had NOT mixed up the words. I am NOT picking on "typo" mistakes. We ALL make those. I put the "hear / here" mix up into an entirely different class. Just my 2[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]¢ worth.[/FONT]

I, too, am a grammarian. I find that when I read something by someone who cannot distinguish "here" and "hear", "your" and "you're" and so forth, I value the worth of their writing somewhat less than if they had NOT mixed up the words. I am NOT picking on "typo" mistakes. We ALL make those. I put the "hear / here" mix up into an entirely different class. Just my 2[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]¢ worth.[/FONT]
Got it. Why not stop by here and tell us a little more about yourself.

I generally agree with you. But if I may put a slightly different spin on how you value the worth of one's writing: instead of discounting someone's writing with those common errors (and they are very common), I tend to award a mental "bonus" for writing which does not include any of those common errors.

Have you ever seen the Jesco White "Dancing Outlaw" documentaries about his style of mountain dancing? Absolutely fascinating, but terrifying at the same time. Among our friends, many of the quotes have passed into regular use, to our immense entertainment.

How's that thread drift coming along? :D

I did see one of the documentaries about how their family has managed to live off of welfare very successfully and how they are always intoxicated on some substance or another. My extended family isn't quite that bad.. :D

FUEGO said:
I did see one of the documentaries about how their family has managed to live off of welfare very successfully and how they are always intoxicated on some substance or another. My extended family isn't quite that bad.. :D

Well when you say it like that, it just doesn't sound quite as awesome! ;)

I'm actually a fan of the Oxford comma and foundit's use to be comforting.

In my personal and professional life I do find myself judging others rather quickly if they have poor grammar, spelling, or word choice.
Wow.

Apparently some posters have nothing better to do than exhume the dead to strike a blow for [-]truth and justice[/-] the grammar police.

Back
Top Bottom