Identity fraud

VanWinkle

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I received an alert from my Credit Wise report from Capital One that my credit score changed today. I was curious why it changed and discovered that someone opened a TD card services account with my name and SS #. They did that one day ago and already racked up 1000 dollars in charges. I have contacted all three credit services with a fraud alert and freezes. It was
relatively easy to shut down the credit and issue the fraud alert. I have also
opened up a fraud alert with TD card services. I have called the local police to report the incident per CD card services request.

Any others have any additional tips on any additional steps?

VW

I had someone steal my identity and get my social security payments changed from my bank account to the thief's bank account. So if you are getting Social Security payments that is something to check on. Social Security put a freeze on my account so that to change anything I have to go to the Social Security office. If you are not getting Social Security but are over 62 the thief could apply for Social Security in your name. You should open a Social Security account and keep a close eye on it.

You might also want to contact the IRS to put an alert on your IRS file so no one can fraudulently file a tax return in your name and claim a refund.

Last edited:
Yes, we filed a police report, we called the IRS generated by a letter from them. Someone opened a business acct. in FL with DH name, SS, bday. We now file our taxes with a code sent by IRS every year that changes. Froze all credit. Have not opened new credit since then, I imagine it will be a hassle if we do.

It's easy to get a new credit card if you have frozen your credit reporting.
Here is how I will do it next time:

Unfreeze all 3 credit bureaus for 12 hours (or 6 hours if possible).
Apply online for the credit card.
Done.

Here is how we got a new credit card with frozen credit two years ago:

Contacted the credit card company to find out which credit bureaus they would check. Unfroze our credit only at that one credit bureau for a few hours, then refroze our credit.

You may not need to unfreeze all of the credit bureaus.

Here is how we got a new credit card with frozen credit two years ago:

Contacted the credit card company to find out which credit bureaus they would check. Unfroze our credit only at that one credit bureau for a few hours, then refroze our credit.

You may not need to unfreeze all of the credit bureaus.

Just did this last week. Applied for a new card and they sent me an email saying they couldn't approve it due to the freeze, which I already knew, told me which agency they used, and gave me a phone number and reference number. I went online to unfreeze for a day at that agency, then called them. The rep on the phone immediately went online to check and approved the card on the spot.

I've always found that companies are happy to tell you which one you need to unfreeze, because they know what a hassle it is.

Back
Top Bottom