If you could move your family anywhere. . .

Travelwanted

Recycles dryer sheets
My DW and I are strongly considering moving from an increasingly over-crowded major metro in the SE. We have 2 kids in early elementary school.

We are easily FI (in the same club as Hesperus), so a job is not a priority, although I am not opposed to a PT gig in my field.

We are looking for an area that is down-to-earth, has great schools, very low crime and is family-friendly.

We are open to almost anywhere but think Florida and California are out for various reasons.

We would love some suggestions of places to consider. TYIA!

Whidby Island, Port Townsend, Bellingham, or anywhere else on the Olympic Peninsula

My DW and I are strongly considering moving from an increasingly over-crowded major metro in the SE. We have 2 kids in early elementary school.

We are easily FI (in the same club as Hesperus), so a job is not a priority, although I am not opposed to a PT gig in my field.

We are looking for an area that is down-to-earth, has great schools, very low crime and is family-friendly.

We are open to almost anywhere but think Florida and California are out for various reasons.

We would love some suggestions of places to consider. TYIA!

You got over 10 Million bucks, Shazaam!. Thats an easy one New York City , East side, 50-82nd streets. Best private schools in the world. They will meet other mega-millionaire kids. No need for prenups. You got huge money like yourself this place is a paradise play-land. Broadway shows, best restaurants, people watching. Museums, etc., you name it we have it. Want a Jewish deli sandwich at 3 AM on a Saturday night, yup we have it. Takes big money to get the full thrill of this place. I think you have the means to enjoy this place to its fullest.

You got over 10 Million bucks, Shazaam!. Thats an easy one New York City , East side, 50-82nd streets. Best private schools in the world. They will meet other mega-millionaire kids. No need for prenups. You got huge money like yourself this place is a paradise play-land. Broadway shows, best restaurants, people watching. Museums, etc., you name it we have it. Want a Jewish deli sandwich at 3 AM on a Saturday night, yup we have it. Takes big money to get the full thrill of this place. I think you have the means to enjoy this place to its fullest.

Haha, but I'm thinking it doesn't fit the down-to-earth part. Plus it's even more congested than where I am now! But I appreciate the suggestion and do love visiting NYC.

It might help if you listed some places you are already thinking of (and why), and places you've eliminated (also why) to get a better response. But usually around here you just get posters' favorite or current places, even if they are a terrible fit for what you've asked for, as you've seen already.

The low congestion, down-to-earth, family friendly and low crime would be possible to find together. But when you throw in great schools (especially if you mean great schools in general as opposed to at least one top notch private school available), you're asking a lot.

Maybe you could elaborate on what you mean by "great schools." Some folks mean a solid grammar, middle and high school system likely to be able to launch the kiddos off to a good college. Others mean top 5% - 10% schools in the national rankings. Most/many of those are located where it's "congested."

The low congestion, down-to-earth, family friendly and low crime would be possible to find together. But when you throw in great schools (especially if you mean great schools in general as opposed to at least one top notch private school available), you're asking a lot.

we have that here

NYC is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't move my family there - the golf scene sucks for one thing

I have found that children from NYC are just not so down to earth. Their vision of the world centers around their city.

Telling someone where to raise a young family has so many dimensions. I like a small city within 45 miles of a dynamic big city that has mountains and lakes close by. And it helps to have a university close by with first class football and basketball. And a reasonable cost of real estate and low taxes would be the icing on the cake.

How about East Tennessee? Or Asheville, NC? Or Franklin, TN? Greenville, SC? Oxford, MS. Winston-Salem, NC? Tuscaloosa, AL? Huntsville, AL? North GA Mountains?

NYC is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't move my family there - the golf scene sucks for one thing

I went to a golf course 1 time, it was a private country club, I never got out of the cart. From what I hear there are about 30 real nice ones, but some are 2 hours away from the heart of midtown.

Pretty broad selection, what's the largest size town you'd want to live in?

How do you feel about cold weather? (I mean really cold)...

So the 8 digit children that live near you are down to earth? Give the poster your zip code, sounds like your locale is the spot.

BCG - I think it's how you raise them. We are not a keeping up with the jones type family. I know it will be hard because we will have the means to do whatever but I grew up lower middle class and insist on keeping them humble.

Pretty broad selection, what's the largest size town you'd want to live in?

How do you feel about cold weather? (I mean really cold)...

We are open to being outside (1-2 hours) of a major city. We think the weather isn't a major issue. We are both used to cold and hot weather cities.

We have contemplated the midwest, such as Des Moines suburbs. I love the mid-west values.

Emphasis on likely good schools & not go-go atmosphere: New Hampshire. Utah. Smaller NC cities away from coast. Indy (Carmel). WA outside metro Seattle. Maybe OR. Des Moines.

We are open to being outside (1-2 hours) of a major city. We think the weather isn't a major issue. We are both used to cold and hot weather cities.

We have contemplated the midwest, such as Des Moines suburbs. I love the mid-west values.

Ever been to MSP area...you'll find most of your wishlist here and world class medical care...major hub for Delta ...

I went to a golf course 1 time, it was a private country club, I never got out of the cart. From what I hear there are about 30 real nice ones, but some are 2 hours away from the heart of midtown.

Isn't that what helicopters are for? :LOL:

Asheville, NC., Nashville, TN., Pacific NW, Italy - I have never lived in any of these places but I like them when we visit.

FN

I was thinking midwest college towns might be a match, like Madison, Lincoln, Lawrence. Des Moines is less of a college town but probably similar. College towns tend to be more liberal which may or may not be what you're looking for, but it's also relative to the area. Madison, I think, is pretty liberal, while Lincoln is not as much.

Asheville, NC., Nashville, TN., Pacific NW, Italy - I have never lived in any of these places but I like them when we visit.

FN

I like the first two mentioned. Also thinking of Dallas Fort Worth, and Hollywood, FL.

Springfield, Missouri.
Yes indeed! Springfield Cashew Chicken!

Doesn't get any better than that!

OP my best advice is to prioritize your top X things. Folks here do their best to help but in the end it's a very personal decision.

I posted about some places and got mixed reviews, actually one poster said "don't go there". Well after a year we're very happy. You're the folks who have to be happy with your destination, not anyone else.

Heck I was chatting with a fellow today who said his brother retired TO Mansfield PA. I grew up 50 miles from there, never knew anyone who went there willingly.😁

Thinking about Mansfield, it might be a perfect area for someone. University town, with great outdoor activities nearby. It's pretty isolated for some folks tastes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom