interesting broadband experience

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
I turn on the computer in the morning and leave it on all day. I do chores and errands, and sit at the computer in between.

This morning there seemed to be a problem with the connection.

I looked over at the modem to see if I should reset it, and noticed the power strip wasn't turned on.

I was connecting via someones wireless network (on the margins).

A prime opportunity to download some ill-gotten music and, ah, educational videos?

I have had that happen to me every once in a while. I am in an area where I can pick up a number of signals, several are unsecured. My computer jumps over to someone else's signal if for some reason something happens to mine.

Khan, I think I see an opportunity for some budget cutting. :whistle:

On my recent midwest sabbatical, I had no internet access other than this type of unsecured signal. I did use same for my e-mail, but little else. I've heard that there could be security issues when using other wireless accounts. Anyone know about such things? It sure was handy not to have to sign up with the cable co. for access for less than 2 months. Still, I was a bit uncomfortable. I wasn't bothered by the "borrowing", but by the possibility of a security breach on my 'puter. What say ye? I'm pretty much a dummy on this stuff.

On my recent midwest sabbatical, I had no internet access other than this type of unsecured signal. I did use same for my e-mail, but little else. I've heard that there could be security issues when using other wireless accounts. Anyone know about such things? It sure was handy not to have to sign up with the cable co. for access for less than 2 months. Still, I was a bit uncomfortable. I wasn't bothered by the "borrowing", but by the possibility of a security breach on my 'puter. What say ye? I'm pretty much a dummy on this stuff.
If you made any transactions, you're really taking a chance. There are many programs that I can install to watch the traffic. If you go through my router, it is much easier.

I've been thinking of building a "biquad" antenna. Since I have a panoramic view, the claim is that I can tap into wireless networks up to 5 miles away. If some of them are provided for public access, I might have a new way to cut expenses.

Me too Kahn (I think we both have TW). I had to unplug the power to the modem AND the router, wait about 20 seconds, replug them, let them "do their thing" then just to do something else I "restarted" the computer and everything was/is fine. Must have something to do with TW maintenance.

When I was last in Florida visiting DS and family I "piggy backed" for an entire week on someone neighbors WiFi (my DS only has DSL). Worked great just like at home. Helps to "sniff" when you are away from home.

Still, I was a bit uncomfortable. I wasn't bothered by the "borrowing", but by the possibility of a security breach on my 'puter. What say ye? I'm pretty much a dummy on this stuff.

A valid fear. If your computer lacks security updates, proper configuration and other security measures, it can be infected by malware from other machines using the wifi network. Or, a knowledegable user on another computer using the same router might gain access to your machine.

If you made any transactions, you're really taking a chance. There are many programs that I can install to watch the traffic. If you go through my router, it is much easier.

If you are using an HTTPS site (and any reputable bank/vendor/lender etc. does), watching the traffic is not good enough as the watcher can't decrypt it.

I've heard that there could be security issues when using other wireless accounts.

There has been considerable discussion on this issue in RV related Forums. I am not sure there is complete agreement on this issue -- providing you have protection installed on your computer, firewall, etc. Most RV parks provide wi-fi to their customers (unsecured) and that is, for us Cheapos, a first-choice option.

I, personally, am not very comfortable with the explanations put forth so far. Therefore, I use non-secure wi-fi for e-mail only. When I do , for example, banking, I use our own secure router (through the Verizon connection) when on the road.

I do know that, in the past month, I have twice, while connected to an unsecure wi-fi, had a message pop up that said something like "Windows Media Center has discovered that "Sally's Computer" has media that you can share. Would you like to share your media files?" That is kinda scary and plenty off-putting.

Just to add:

When the computer turns on it tells me I'm on the edge of three different networks. In the past, all of them were locked. The one I picked up yesterday is still unlocked.

My computer jumps over to someone else's signal if for some reason something happens to mine.

I use the "Wireless Network Meter" gadget to monitor my connection while on the road.

It becomes second-nature to check the "ID:" or ""IP:" line frequently after finding that you no longer had a secure connection a couple of times. This Gadget is also good for finding the wi-fi point with the fastest transfer times.:whistle:

Love them Gadgets -- the best of Vista.

The one I picked up yesterday is still unlocked.
Our next-door neighbor "locks" his network by making his password the same as his network's name.

Once I figured that out, I've heroically resisted the temptation. Or else I'm waiting for a really really good one-time opportunity...

I live in a blue-collar neighborhood; most houses built a few years after WW2.

In the last five years, several houses have been turned into groups homes for college students.

There are interesting social dynamics to observe.

Hey, maybe one of you can give me some network advise. We have a home network with broadband provided by Qwest - Microsoft. Everthing worked swell for several years, now the network doesn't work as it has in the past. We brought a tech out and he said that because the ip addresses change the network is toast (so to speak) and, essentially, washed his hands of our set up. My son suggested that we find a router that can handle dynamic addresses (our current router is at least 10 years old). We aren't interested in a wireless network. So, any thoughts folks?

Hey, maybe one of you can give me some network advise. We have a home network with broadband provided by Qwest - Microsoft. Everthing worked swell for several years, now the network doesn't work as it has in the past. We brought a tech out and he said that because the ip addresses change the network is toast (so to speak) and, essentially, washed his hands of our set up. My son suggested that we find a router that can handle dynamic addresses (our current router is at least 10 years old). We aren't interested in a wireless network. So, any thoughts folks?

Assuming it's an static vs. dynamic IP address issue, follow your son's advice & turn the wireless feature of your new router off (if you can't find a wired-only router)

Hey, maybe one of you can give me some network advise. We have a home network with broadband provided by Qwest - Microsoft. ... My son suggested that we find a router that can handle dynamic addresses (our current router is at least 10 years old). We aren't interested in a wireless network. So, any thoughts folks?

I, too, use Qwest DSL (I did not migrate to MSN and still have my Qwest.net address) and have not found any deterioration in the service so it probably is your router (or other equipment).

Any of these routers will fix you up.

To confirm that you are getting the proper performance from the Qwest portion of the system go to (for example) Speed Test - dslreports.com and click on one of the speed tests (I use the Flash 8 but any will do), then follow the instructions (I use Fort Worth or Los Angeles).

THANK YOU so much. There are several on the list that would work for us.

My home network is wire based, but has a wireless mode as well, which I use from my GMC suburban for access. The network is locked with a nice long password. There is also a feature to turn off responding to any sweeps or fishing expeditions, like "war-drivers".

Unless the network specifically is addressed via an encrypted address, and with the right password it never responds to queries. It never responds to blind queries. It takes a bit of work to set up, but does keep the riff-raff out. I think this feature is available in all wireless routers.

The wireless security is not that great, but the previously noted setup eliminates all but the determined hacker.

We aren't interested in a wireless network. So, any thoughts folks?
I used to be in that camp because I was tired of being Parental Tech Support. Our computer network wasn't growing so much as it was mutating.

When our kid agreed to care for our wireless router, we bought an ASUS WL-500W. It's dramatically improved my life, setup was done in about 10 minutes by a 16-year-old, and I don't have to spend any time on it. We put it in the back of the house so that our signal strength barely reaches the driveway, but we have great coverage in all the places you'd want to kick back with a laptop.

My first exposure to this was the past summer while on a golf trip to Myrtle Beach. One of guys from up North works for a newspaper as a sports reporter and I guess he was writing off his trip on the papers dime. Every day after golf while sitting around having a few longnecks, he would write his column about the daily happenings and get quotes from all of us about our games. Being in a older condo, he didn't have internet access so he would walk down to the management office ( closed at that time) and hook onto their computer signal and sent his column up North. Facinating.

I used to be in that camp because I was tired of being Parental Tech Support. Our computer network wasn't growing so much as it was mutating.

When our kid agreed to care for our wireless router, we bought an ASUS WL-500W. It's dramatically improved my life, setup was done in about 10 minutes by a 16-year-old, and I don't have to spend any time on it. We put it in the back of the house so that our signal strength barely reaches the driveway, but we have great coverage in all the places you'd want to kick back with a laptop.

What is the (usual/average) physical range of a wireless network?

Depends, and they can be boosted with some more hardware. Some people turn them off when not in use - but that gets tiresome. Also depends on the composition of the walls and where the router is placed in the house (wood and drywall work about the best; concrete (because of any re-bar) and metal siding the worst).

Depending on where the wireless router is located about 30' to 100' in radius. With fancy antennas I have picked up a network over a mile away. But that takes high power cards and high gain antennas.

Edit add: I the the router is placed in the basement, it reduces the range outside of the house. If in the attic, it extends the range.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom