Interesting notes/to do list/shopping list app

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
In putting together apps to let me organize stuff with my iPod touch, I came across reQall.

The best and most interesting part of this free service is that you can call an 800 number and say something like "Buy curry powder tomorrow" and it will transcribe it to text, and add it to your shopping list with a due date of tomorrow. It can also send you an email copy.

You register your phone number, so that when you call the 800 number, it recognizes who you are and adds the note to the proper account.

I'm low on curry powder. Thanks for reminding me. I gotta get one of these gizmos. Memory ain't what it used to be....:blink:

Hmmm. Find my phone - 2 to 10 mins. Look up number & dial, wait for connection - 1 min. Say what I need - 10 secs. And that doesn't count all the times I will forget what I called for & have to repeat it ...

Or

Walk to refrigerator - 30 secs. Write my item on the list with the pencil hanging there - 1 sec.

This why I don't use the list app on my phone.

Sometimes technology works worse than low tech.

Hmmm. Find my phone - 2 to 10 mins. Look up number & dial, wait for connection - 1 min. Say what I need - 10 secs. And that doesn't count all the times I will forget what I called for & have to repeat it ...

Or

Walk to refrigerator - 30 secs. Write my item on the list with the pencil hanging there - 1 sec.

This why I don't use the list app on my phone.

Sometimes technology works worse than low tech.
And then all you have to do is snap a photo of the fridge list before you leave the house if you really want it on your iPhone instead of keeping track of a slip of paper.

I don't know how I will do this - probably just type into iPad. Calling seems like too much trouble.

Audrey

I have tried several list/shopping list apps on the iPhone/iPad. They always sound great on paper but, in the end, I always revert back to the old system: write what I need to buy on the kitchen chalk board, take a picture of said board with the iPhone and go shopping.

Why not just use the notepad application? It automatically generates a dated index from the first line of your note. We keep a running list of movies and books in addition to our grocery list.

Here is what a note looks like
pad2.jpg
and here is what the index looks like (with some things blanked out :))
pad1.jpg

Since we have no land line, my iPhone is always with me; maybe not so if I had an iPod Touch instead.

I use the "Our Groceries" app on my Blackberry. It's free and very simple. You can share lists with other people if you wish and they can include whole recipes or lists of any kind.

BlackBerry App World - OurGroceries

I'm low on curry powder. Thanks for reminding me. I gotta get one of these gizmos. Memory ain't what it used to be....:blink:
Nope...my memory ain't what it used to be either.

What were we talkin' about? :blink:

Here's a modified version of a shopping list I found on the Microsoft template library site. I keep it on my refrigerator. I highlite items as I run out, then take the whole thing to the store with me.
Now the entire world knows :hide: what I eat. :LOL:
Enjoy! :D

Attachments

• GROCERY LIST.doc
    44 KB · Views: 22
In putting together apps to let me organize stuff with my iPod touch, I came across reQall.

I could see this being handy because you could call and put things on the grocery or to do list "hands free" while driving.

Once upon a time when we lived in another city, I took the time to make a grocery store list on the computer of the things we buy in the order in which they appear when I go row by row in the grocery store. Print out copies to keep on the refrigerator. Then, mark what you need on the list throughout the week and remember to take the list to the store.

It's hands down the fastest way to grocery shop.

Kindest regards,
spncity

Last edited:
I like using 'ineedstuff' for the iPhone/touch.
You can track items to buy at multiple stores, and you can sync your list with other people.
For some reason I ALWAYS remember something I need after my wonderful wife leaves to go to the grocery store. This solves that with a minimum of fuss.

Once upon a time when we lived in another city, I took the time to make a grocery store list on the computer of the things we buy in the order in which they appear when I go row by row in the grocery store.

It reminds me that the "shopping list" app can be trained to remember the order in which you buy things at the store of your choice. After a training period, the items on your shopping list will be organized in the right order based on your store's particular configuration.

After a training period, the items on your shopping list will be organized in the right order based on your store's particular configuration.

Until they change it.....which they do frequently.

And then there's the other store I sometimes visit in another neighbourhood, which is organized in a mirror image of my usual one.....

:LOL:

Methinks this is too linear for a woman's brain. I need to ramble, hyperlink....

The basic problem with these handhelds is that it really is too slow to enter stuff. Try writing down a phone number or writing down directions. Even if you could get to the right app in time, and you had two hands free, it just doesn't beat having a pencil and paper.

But pushing the speed dial button on your phone, and saying what you want might work in some limited situations.

I took the time to make a grocery store list on the computer of the things we buy in the order in which they appear when I go row by row in the grocery store.

Yes, we've done this for at least 12 years, and it is the only way to fly. We've never needed to change the list.

Shopping.jpg

Posting*to*this*thread*would*be*too*slow*with*the*keyboard*but*I*am*entering*this*by*talking*into*my*iPod*touch*using*the*microphone*it's*faster*and*maybe*more*convenient*I*can*enter*anything*up*to*30*seconds.

I have made this post by talking into the iPod using reQall. It takes about 10 minutes for it to send the information, upload the information to their servers and transcribe it, and had to copy it over here, but in the future this might be a good way of getting the data in.

-----------------

Back on the PC: the post with the asterisks was made by doing the copy paste on the ipod. On this one I copied on the PC from the email it sent me. I am impressed with this capability. What it wrote is almost exactly what I said, and it put the commas in the right place, figured out that I said "their" instead of "there," put in the number 10.

Here's the audio file.

Why not just use the notepad application?

Because the notes aren't synced to the PC. If it weren't for that I'd use it. I can't enter or access notes on the PC.

I've tried Evernote, but unless you pay a monthly fee, you can't access your notes when offline.

Reqall doesn't work for big notes, because on the PC it only gives you a three line edit window.

Notemaster looks good, but things in it don't show up when doing a global search.

Until they change it.....which they do frequently.
10 years or so ago when all the military commissaries consolidated into one organization, they laid out a nationwide floorplan for all the commissaries to conform to as much as possible.

I don't know if it makes it easier to build shelving or special displays or to take inventory, but it sure makes it easier to have an aisle-by-aisle grocery list.

Why not just use the notepad application? It automatically generates a dated index from the first line of your note. We keep a running list of movies and books in addition to our grocery list.
Since we have no land line, my iPhone is always with me; maybe not so if I had an iPod Touch instead.

Like IP, I almost always have my iPhone within easy reach...normally in my pocket. Since I got it back in January I spend VERY little time in front of desktop anymore, since I can do just about everything on the iPhone that I can do on the 'puter. That said, I now just use iPhone's notepad app for shopping lists, lists of plants that I have, lists of plants that I'm looking for, note taking at telenet classes that I attend at the local county extension office, keep track of doctor appointments (and the resulting B/P readings), and any other info that I'd normally jot down with graphite on pieces of dead trees.

I also use the "RedLine" barcode scanner app to quickly make a list of products that I use, that I need to pick up at the store.

And I use the iPhone's camera to snap a quick pic of stuff...like if I need to pick up another planter or container like one I already have. Snap a pic, go to the store, and match the pic with the planters they have. I've used the camera to snap a quick pic of written notes or drawings for projects that I'm working on, so I have them close at hand if I need to run for a part or for more materials.

On the rare occasions that I'm actually at the desktop and I think of something I need to pick up, I just shoot myself an email at the account that I use on the iPhone.

What I really need is an app that takes my grocery list, organizes it by store aisle, and then directs me to each item in an organized manner when I get to the store. It may be as simple as having a database of items / aisles and then the app sorts the list by aisle. I may have to work on this - but its probably out there already

I just downloaded the free app dragon dictation. This app seems even better because it transcribes to text very quickly. Instantly, in fact.

I dictated this text in this post. There was no training involved and it seems to work very well.

iTunes continues to annoy me with customer reviews that cannot be copied so I retyped a couple. btw, only people who have downloaded apps. are allowed to comment in the review section. This type of review usually stops me:

One-star review by Chuck Pelto: “Dragon is a superior voice recognition system. However!!!!!!!! .... they want to copy your contacts to THEIR server. There is a 60 second limit on dictation.”

And this from Mark Delawar: “...collects and uses the contact names in your address book. You have to accept a license agreement before using the app.... And that is only one of the notices. Thank you, but no thanks.”

I've immediately deleted some other apps because the app. developers wanted TMI.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom