Jarts or lawn darts

edteach

Dryer sheet wannabe
I saw an old thread that had a lot of disinformation in it. Jarts and or lawn darts are not illegal to own, use play with or gift. They are illegal to sell. State laws will also apply but Federal law is you can own them. I have 4 sets and pick them up when I can find them cheap. They will only grow in value. I was told by an attorney if I want to sell a set do it at a swap meet cash anomalously. I am not saying to do this or that one should but this is what I was told.. So if you have them hang on to them. Just like a gun don't let your kids play with them, at least alone.

I had 2 sets and gave them to my niece. Told her to NEVER say who she got them from. I'd rather make a profit from a less dangerous product.

This is why I posted the thread. I read some saying destroy them, they are illegal and banned. You can give them away use them have them. Just can not sell them. Many of the sales on eBay you get the jarts they just don't advertise it.

There's only one thread that's really about jarts: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/to-sell-or-not-to-sell-jarts-79826.html and nobody here says to destroy them. Someone posted a link to a Consumer Product Safety Commission bulletin that says they should be destroyed. This is not disinformation, this is a recommendation by a government safety commission. You want to ignore it, that's fine. Not sure why you felt the need to start a new thread on it. You say they will grow in value, but you only get value out of them if you illegally sell them.

In the 1980's I was a young registered nurse working full-time on the critical care transport team at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. We used road or air transport to move critically ill/injured children from a referring hospital back to CHOP when the outlying hospital couldn't manage their care and asked that we come get them. We transported several thousand a year.

One child that I will always remember is the little girl around 5 years old at a family BBQ on the 4th of July. She was just running around being 5 when someone tossed a jart and she was hit in the head.

The critical care resident and I arrived in the referring hospital ER and were greeted by almost 12 inches of weighted steel with hard plastic wings sticking out of her head. It was imbedded about 8 inches into her brain. We carefully sedated her, packed her to go and RAN full sirens back to CHOP and straight to the neurosurgeon waiting in the OR.

She did fine. She was lucky. But boy....they are dangerous toys.

There's only one thread that's really about jarts: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/to-sell-or-not-to-sell-jarts-79826.html and nobody here says to destroy them. Someone posted a link to a Consumer Product Safety Commission bulletin that says they should be destroyed. This is not disinformation, this is a recommendation by a government safety commission. You want to ignore it, that's fine. Not sure why you felt the need to start a new thread on it. You say they will grow in value, but you only get value out of them if you illegally sell them.
I guess for the same reason you replied. :facepalm:

In the 1980's I was a young registered nurse working full-time on the critical care transport team at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. We used road or air transport to move critically ill/injured children from a referring hospital back to CHOP when the outlying hospital couldn't manage their care and asked that we come get them. We transported several thousand a year.

One child that I will always remember is the little girl around 5 years old at a family BBQ on the 4th of July. She was just running around being 5 when someone tossed a jart and she was hit in the head.

The critical care resident and I arrived in the referring hospital ER and were greeted by almost 12 inches of weighted steel with hard plastic wings sticking out of her head. It was imbedded about 8 inches into her brain. We carefully sedated her, packed her to go and RAN full sirens back to CHOP and straight to the neurosurgeon waiting in the OR.

She did fine. She was lucky. But boy....they are dangerous toys.
You can come up with a kid being killed by everything from jelly beans [choking for the more mentally challenged] to running with scissors. We now have such a stupid populating that it seems all will collapse unless we have a child can drown in a buck printed on the side. Good god. You can not idiot proof the world.

I saw an old thread that had a lot of disinformation in it. Jarts and or lawn darts are not illegal to own, use play with or gift. They are illegal to sell. State laws will also apply but Federal law is you can own them. I have 4 sets and pick them up when I can find them cheap. They will only grow in value. I was told by an attorney if I want to sell a set do it at a swap meet cash anomalously. I am not saying to do this or that one should but this is what I was told.. So if you have them hang on to them. Just like a gun don't let your kids play with them, at least alone.

What is the recommended way to sharpen lawn darts ?

I thinking a file is a lot of work, but a grinder is going to soften the metal by heating it as sharpening.
Would a sharpening stone work best ?

Seems it would be handy to get a nice pin sharp edge on it to be sure it sticks in the ground.

What is the recommended way to sharpen lawn darts ?

I thinking a file is a lot of work, but a grinder is going to soften the metal by heating it as sharpening.
Would a sharpening stone work best ?

Seems it would be handy to get a nice pin sharp edge on it to be sure it sticks in the ground.
I've seen them modified to accommodate a. 22 LR. That was they pack a bigger punch. Not hard, not legal either.

I've seen them modified to accommodate a. 22 LR. That was they pack a bigger punch. Not hard, not legal either.

LOL

This is interesting. A get rich quick scheme selling illegal Jarts. I think I'll pass.

LOL

This is interesting. A get rich quick scheme selling illegal Jarts. I think I'll pass.
Give them away, you know so it's not illegal.[emoji23]

Back
Top Bottom