Kentucky Derby 2022

Wasn't there a horse in the last few years which had to navigate through a cluster of other horses and speed up and overtake the leaders to win the Derby? It wasn't some 80-1 shot, but there was some familiarity in the tactics used by the jockey to win it at the end.

It was a great race. I couldn't believe how much faster Rich Strike was in the last part of the race. Just flat out speed vs the rest of the horses.

Heard the comment the current owner bought the horse as a 2 year old in a $30K claiming race. Then as already discussed, wasn't even in the derby until a last minute scratch which opened the spot. Having to start from furthest position is also a small negative to overcome.

It was an amazing race to watch and I hope it holds up! That was some kick, next gear Rich Strike had! And the jockey had all the space needed to go right thru! Loved it and the story. Five minutes before deadline the day before, #20 scratched and #21 Rich Strike made the cut.

From a practical standpoint tracks pay at the window in cash. How would they even claw it back?

Winner was disqualified in 2021.

The stewards' decision disqualifying Medina Spirit specifically says: "Pari-mutuel wagering is not affected by this ruling."In other words, the payouts are done and over.

What happens to bets on Medina Spirit now that 2021 Kentucky Derby winner is disqualified?

I'm sure significant winners are informed on er, I mean, reported to the IRS. Imagine that the tracks CAN claw back the winnings. Then imagine 'splaining to the IRS you really DIDN'T actually receive 25K in cash from winnings. YMMV

I'm sure significant winners are informed on er, I mean, reported to the IRS. Imagine that the tracks CAN claw back the winnings. Then imagine 'splaining to the IRS you really DIDN'T actually receive 25K in cash from winnings. YMMV

Winnings at odds of 300-1 that pay at least $600 require IRS reporting. 300-1 odds wouldn't occur in a straight win bet, only in the exotic bets such as exacts, pick-6, etc.

I suppose if you had a payout >$10,000 cash, that might have to be reported (or one might prefer a check).

In any case the rules standard (in the US) that once the result has been declared "Official" any subsequent disqualifications do not affect the payout.

Some interesting statistics about the betting, "A record $179.0 million was bet in the pari-mutuel pool on Saturday's Kentucky Derby, a 17% increase over last year and 8% greater than the previous record set in 2019, according to the Churchill Downs. Only $501,135 of the total amount wagered on the win pool was on Rich Strike, the lowest of any horse in the field, according to figures released by the track."

Kentucky Derby sets record for betting handle

Have watched the race 4 times now and still get the chills. Good stuff.

Here's an aerial view. Looks even more amazing catching up from way back.

Can't remember when a horse had that other speed up gear in the last portion of the race. The aerial view shows it in stunning fashion.

Can't remember when a horse had that other speed up gear in the last portion of the race. The aerial view shows it in stunning fashion.

At the point there the announcer says "They are into the stretch" there are still about a dozen horses ahead :LOL:.

The horse’s behavior after winning the race was very peculiar. It was a stunning result. We don’t usually see the winner covered in dirt because they usually stay at or near the front of the pack.

Biting is not that unusual, however, the way the handler leading him off was surprising to me and seemed a bit abusive.

I heard them say at the half mile it was a very fast start and then I read that the finish time was the slowest in years. Sounds like 20 horses faded while Rich Strike was able to hold pace.

The horse’s behavior after winning the race was very peculiar. It was a stunning result. We don’t usually see the winner covered in dirt because they usually stay at or near the front of the pack.

This is not unusual behavior for a high strung 3 year old thoroughbred stallion.

Regarding people speculating whether he was doped, he had won a race on the same track a week (or a few days?) before, and he has reportedly been running well during his training rides there too. But that was also some good riding by his jockey, maneuvering from the back of the pack. It was an awesome race to watch.

This is not unusual behavior for a high strung 3 year old thoroughbred stallion.

Regarding people speculating whether he was doped, he had won a race on the same track a week (or a few days?) before, and he has reportedly been running well during his training rides there too. But that was also some good riding by his jockey, maneuvering from the back of the pack. It was an awesome race to watch.

One of the commentators was saying how the track doesn't favor the inside track. Perhaps the strategy by most was to stay clear of the inside as the horse had such an opening inside for the end of race sprint.

A great race!
When my wife and I first got married we spent many weekends at the racetrack betting and just enjoying the races. We had an older but good friend that owned a few horses, and we followed his horses through the years.
Through all those years I would say we broke even but never kept track. Lost some and won some and had a great time and enjoyed the atmosphere of horse racing.

Yeah, I've often wondered just how much of a win like this is the ability of the jockey. In any case, the Derby was exciting. YMMV

It was a great but easy ride by the jockey. Once he decided just to hit the rail in last place, the die was cast. He had some easy gaps to shoot and suffered few bumps...I did not see any. And he had to make few decisions. His path was never blocked possibly because the fast early pace spread the horses out.

I'd say that's a once in a lifetime ride.

Biting is not that unusual, however, the way the handler leading him off was surprising to me and seemed a bit abusive.

I think I watched the Derby once, previously, a good 10 years or so ago. I just happened to be channel surfing just before the race started and boy o boy did I pick a good time to watch the Derby once more. Very exciting, even for this non-horserace-fan. But I, too, was taken aback by that official's response to the winner nipping at the other horse.

Back
Top Bottom