Kentucky Derby 2022

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Still can't believe the finish of the Kentucky Derby.

The longest of the longshot won. Horse wasn't even mentioned down the home stretch then suddenly snuck in to win.

It was amazing, and as you note the winning horse wasn't even mentioned until he took the lead! I saw a replay of the stretch from overhead and Rich Strike was moving much faster than any other horse (obviously). Somebody's got BIG payoffs.

Makes you (well me) wonder if the horse was "on something"... I'm sure they test for that after the race... (But I tend to question/suspect everything)

Last edited:
My newspaper had printed a color graphic on Saturday morning depicting the jerseys of all the jockeys. Of course, the winner wasn't even on there!

pretty crazy, Rich Strike earned $1.86 million for his first stakes victory. Owners very happy.... he just got in, he was the 21st horse, someone drops out, hey lets win this thing !

Watching those little bastards whip those horses makes my blood boil. This is entertainment?

Watching those little bastards whip those horses makes my blood boil. This is entertainment?

I dunno. DW seems to like a gentle whipping now and again. I can't get into the details though.
I guess it would be best not to talk about cattle prods or hot shots or even dog shock collars then.

This clip is the last 30 seconds of the race with a red arrow pointing at Rich Strike. What a race!

Here's an aerial view. Looks even more amazing catching up from way back.

Makes you (well me) wonder if the horse was "on something"... I'm sure they test for that after the race... (But I tend to question/suspect everything)

The horse’s behavior after winning the race was very peculiar. It was a stunning result. We don’t usually see the winner covered in dirt because they usually stay at or near the front of the pack.

I'll wait for the after race drug results. The horse seemed rather spirited after the race, to say the least.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm in the mood for a come-from-behind, unexpected, story-book, once-in-a-lifetime win. I hope the tests show that this was real. Once in a while the stars align and the unexpected happens. It think it's something to celebrate - assuming you didn't have much money on the race. YMMV

Interesting thing is that were the winner to be disqualified later, it would have no effect on the wagering payout. Those 80-1 winners get to keep their winnings regardless.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm in the mood for a come-from-behind, unexpected, story-book, once-in-a-lifetime win. I hope the tests show that this was real. Once in a while the stars align and the unexpected happens. It think it's something to celebrate - assuming you didn't have much money on the race. YMMV

+1000

I don’t know when I’ve enjoyed watching the Derby more!

Interesting thing is that were the winner to be disqualified later, it would have no effect on the wagering payout. Those 80-1 winners get to keep their winnings regardless.
So when do people actually get paid for their bets? I would have thought it would be the same day. :confused: Disclaimer - I know almost zip about horse racing.

Last edited:
I'll wait for the after race drug results. The horse seemed rather spirited after the race, to say the least.

Who knows, but not everyone cheats when something is unusual.
Look at Secretariat way back when.

First that had to be the most amazing rub since Secretariat.

Love the story, love the run.

Certainly not unusual for these high strung young horses to be aggressive or easily spooked. That's just the nature of these animals.

I hope there is nothing atrange. The horse just had another gear. Two other gears in fact.

Never saw a guy on the call miss the race so much. Just assumed Rich Strike would fade since 80-1 shot?

Strange indeed.

So when do people actually get paid for their bets? I would have thought it would be the same day. :confused: Disclaimer - I know almost zip about horse racing.

As soon as the result is declared "Official." This is usually within minutes; maybe a few minutes longer if the stewards have to examine the race video for some type of violation. Then you walk up to the window and cash your ticket. Any tests for drugs or similar things would not affect this payout although it could deny the owner of the horse the purse (prize money).

So if I bet $100 on an 80 to 1 long shot, I could collect my $8000 within minutes (typically) even if the horse is disqualified days later?

Cool...

Last edited:
So if I bet $100 on an 80 to 1 long shot, I could collect my $8000 within minutes (typically) even if the horse is disqualified days later?

Cool!

From a practical standpoint tracks pay at the window in cash. How would they even claw it back?

Winner was disqualified in 2021.

The stewards' decision disqualifying Medina Spirit specifically says: "Pari-mutuel wagering is not affected by this ruling."In other words, the payouts are done and over.

What happens to bets on Medina Spirit now that 2021 Kentucky Derby winner is disqualified?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom