Kids, stay in school.

i just cling to the hope that one day, when said teen son is like 35 or 45? he will turn to me and say, gee, thanks i know it was tough...thanks for going to costco, target, tj's, then back to costco three times a week to feed me, take me to all the practices, talk with all my teachers, games, and give me all that great life experience and advice i half listened to...but that is just a small hope. even if he doesn't, as long as he can keep a roof over his head and food on the table for himself and any offspring - i will happily take personal joy in that...or he will have kids himself and know what it is, and do a great job raising them too - and that will be thanks enough!:duh:

Trust me this does happen, it's happening to dh now. At least once a week his son will complain about how his son (dh's grandds) is acting and how he doesn't understand why dh didn't kill him at that age when he acted like that. It did take until he was in his 40's for this to happen, so be patient.

Very disappointing, cowardly troll.

I had reserved judgment on OAP for a long time for reasons not necessary to repeat. But assuming this is a double-identity case, as seems likely, this is very sad.

Bye, old friend.

As the parent of a 14 y.o., thanks for sharing your daughter's story Nords, and BrightEyed I agree with all your comments.

I tell my son that one day he will realize we did our best to raise him to be his best, even if he doesn't always agree with us. He is not as hard-working as Nords' daughter, but we have instilled our values in him. Although he knew he would end up earning his own money for an xbox, he still insisted on asking us daily for two weeks if we would just buy it for him.

It's interesting that we can have great conversations with him about saving, spending wisely, conserving nature's resources, etc, but when he wants something it's - "I know, but..."

Rich,
with all the mod investigations it ought to be very plan that this post and the others on this thread are not from the same computer, probably not even from the same city. And frankly, making a judgement without any basis in not you at all. So who is posting under your name?:eek:
OAP

So frankly you seem very different, not me. Or have lost a lot of patients.

EDIT: I recommend that AndyR post Dumps and my IPs or at least acknowledges that nOrds has falsely accused me for about the 10th time. As have you now. Publish the truth not your innuendo.

Last edited:
Very disappointing, cowardly troll.

I had reserved judgment on OAP for a long time for reasons not necessary to repeat. But assuming this is a double-identity case, as seems likely, this is very sad.

Bye, old friend.

So this is the place for name calling. I thought the original question by DLAT was fair. At least it was in the context of the OP. The fact that the OP couldn't "look within themselves" and reply says alot to me.

Couldn't you have just sent a PM to your friend OAP? Or at least have started a new thread, "Moderators, love us, agree with us, or have a nice life?"

I'm probably a minority opinion in alot of things but I don't think that makes it any less valid.

honobob,
it really is a shame as I sit here and buy some trinkets at the Sat/Sun Hell's Kitchen Antique fair, that I ponder your claim of a minority opinion. Minority or not, it is worth a baker's dozen majority opinions. Thank you (not for giving me any support which you clearly did not do)**Wouldn't want to taint you**.

I have discussed offline with one person. It is easily proven. Ture or False. Easily proven.

Thanks for having an unbiased suggestion.

I'm glad that you're at least using "assuming", which indicates you don't have positive proof yet. I have no doubt that Dumps is a troll, but let's not jump to any conclusion about his true identity until you mods have facts. Only you guys have access to the IPs. Words are not easily retrieved once spoken.

Back to the original topic of working teenagers......

My 20 year old son was 16 when he got his first job. He had been on "Stage Crew" in his high school auditorium for over a year. In the summer the auditorium is used by outside groups for shows, recitals, fundraisers, etc. Since it's not a school function groups pay to rent the space and a small crew to run the equipment. Since he was about the only one who could run the soundboard he was hired as part of the paid crew. Long hours, minimum wage and he wasn't driving yet so one of us had to stay up late and wait for his call to get picked up. He learned so much. And in response to Nords' original post, yes, he did "get it". He wasn't working for the paycheck, he was working because he made a commitment and was part of the team. He's not a clock watcher, waiting for his break and lunch hour. He rarely got any kind of break and ate cold pizza if he could grab it. He did this until he graduated and really loved it.

He also worked at a Six Flags park about 45 minutes away. He was done with paid stage crew and Six Flags was still open through late October or early November. He had about 30 minutes of training and worked on the ferris wheel and a drop ride. He always worked with more experienced people except on the kiddie rides which are run by one person. Scary to think that a 16 year old is responsible for something like that! The scariest part for me was that he got a ride to the park with his friend, another 16 year old who had his license for a few months.

I never expected him to work during school and if he did, it was just on weekends. One of the more important things he learned from these experiences is what happens to a paycheck between your working and your take home pay. BIG eye opener as to how the real world works. Also, how tax filing and tax refunds work.

IP addresses are irrelevant, although they're damning if they match.

Not that long ago I produced a set of posts using my ID and several others, posted from IP addresses in a number of different states, then different countries all over the world.

It takes very little knowledge to do this.

That having been said, its unusual for a brand new poster to call out a long term member, and to have a similar style to someone else thats previously had a problem with the same long term member.

And even more odd for that person to then magically show up in a matter of hours to defend their honor.

Particularly odd when that person has thrown the same little "I'm innocent" fit the last couple of times they got caught.

That having been said, its unusual for a brand new poster to call out a long term member, and to have a similar style to someone else thats previously had a problem with the same long term member.
And even more odd for that person to then magically show up in a matter of hours to defend their honor.
Particularly odd when that person has thrown the same little "I'm innocent" fit the last couple of times they got caught.
Hey, we were reading his posts even before he figured out how to delete them. No doubt in my mind it's the same person.

But at least coincidentally popping up as OAP made it easier to add that name to the "Ignore Poster" list too...

CFB,
still waiting for proof. No amount of slander can overcome actual fact.

AndyR has indicated that he will investigate things. Do it.

Easy for me, couple of people that have never been attacked by me. CFB, show me any post where I have attacked you?

Actually you have, but I excused you given the exigent circumstances. If I remember right, you had some fairly unpleasant things to say about my son.

I like ya buddy, and I'm sorry for everything you've been through. But if it walks like a duck...

Holy mother of all ER tripe.

Who is your son. I knew him not. Are you Nords father?

internet-troll.jpg

LOL

Holy mother of all ER tripe.

Who is your son. I knew him not. Are you Nords father?

I'm not old enough, but I suppose I'd be proud enough of him. Maybe not that ponytail, or being dumb enough to end up on sub duty AND mod duty...but...

Since the meds appear to have damaged your recollection, I believe the quote was:

Guess a couple of our uber-alles posters wanted to talk more about their surfing and ugly little kid

My son is beautiful...and welcome to my ignore list! :)

Most of Nords' posts--whether he starts the thread, or whether he replies to a thread--are self-aggrandizing and/or self-promoting. I agree with you completely.

It takes a "newbie" to introduce a little frankness to the board...hope you stick around and that they do not run you off...
I disagree completely. I enjoy all of Nords' posts and think that he has done a very good job with his daughter. He is always willing to work hard to respond to people's questions and gives very thoughtful replies whether it is in a thread or responding to a PM.

I am very disappointed in the personal attacks by a very few posters. If you don't want to contribute to this board, why don't you move on. Better yet, why can't we all just get along?

How about just deleting all of the OT posts and getting back on track.

I just went through FIREcalc and the ER spreadsheet from the Retire Early homepage with my sister. She's finishing up a BS in accounting now and will be starting an MBA and sitting for her CPA in another year... time to do what I can to make sure she gets further faster than my wife and I did.

The lightbulb definately popped when we ran the numbers. Seeing that you can retire when your 40 if you focus on saving when your young is a great thing (I've been hitting her with homework like this all along... worksheets from Automatic Millionaire, etc)

Are TROLLS also moderators who quit, act gracious and then have their toadies cast dispersions or create problems for new owners?:bat:

Meanwhile, I'll live in my penthouse here in NYC, explore the great city, enjoy my health and not post again. (unless falsely accused, which seems a pattern with one individual).

Oh, and if my health issues turn for the worse, I'll expose that for his and others enjoyment.

Have great lives. Enjoy who you are even.

Back to the initial topic ...

I'm really glad I worked my senior year of high school. I was a nurse's aide in a bottom of the barrel nursing home. I actually really liked the job, but I looked at the "older" people who worked there and thought there was no way I'd be there in my 20's.

Everytime I thought of quitting college I pictured myself back at that nursing home. That thought pushed me to finish my BS in business MIS, which has paid off in many, many ways.

-helen

In High School I worked a couple of summers on farms driving tractors and moving hay. Then I graduated to combines. They are the most fun thing to drive, twenty feet of knife and they will turn on a dime. These jobs were OK. My real incentive to stay in School was my last high school summer job where I learned to hate cement pouring foundations.

Bruce

My children are a long way from that stage. But in general I’m favorably disposed toward work as a teen. My feelings on the matter are based on my own experience as a working teen long ago, not as a parent. Of course my children may not be like I was, and it might not be the best choice for them. Their situation will almost certainly be very different from what mine was. So I guess I’ll consider the matter further when they get older. Since there is apparently a moratorium on mentioning things that could be construed as self-aggrandizing, I’ll refrain from explaining why work was good for me and why I chose a route other than college right after high school and why I’m glad I did.

Back
Top Bottom