Kindle Paperwhite

I'm sticking to my Kindle 2 until they make a paperwhite with a physical button!

+1

I have used all of the kindles to date, and I totally agree with this. I love the paperwhite for the illumination, but MUCH prefer the physical buttons to page forward, etc. Of course, YMMV

The Kindle Paperwhite is a really really good device. It's definitely a worthwhile upgrade over the older kindles. It's my favorite non-Apple device!

I do prefer the paperwhite's button-less operation. With my older kindle, I was always picking the thing up and accidentally pressing one of side buttons. It drove me crazy. Not a problem with the new one.

I still read Kindle books on my iPhone - I always have it with me and I don't carry around the Kindle (OK, I do take it on trips, but it's still not always with me). Syncing between devices make it all work together so well.

I was curious about the battery life of the Paperwhite also. Originally I thought it just always went to the screensaver when you hit the power button but later I found out that if you hold it down for about 6 seconds, it turns the whole thing off. They claim the screensaver doesn't use any power but I am not sure about that.

I only read about a chapter a night (not long, maybe a half hour or an hour), and I charged the thing up fully, turned off wi-fi (which uses power and I never need unless I have a new book) and saw how long it lasted. It really did go for about 8 weeks!

I want to buy a friend a Paperwhite for Christmas. Does Amazon have any set schedule on new releases? I'd like them to have the latest but I need to have it in my hands before the holiday.

FWIW, they just very recently released the Voyage, which is a nicer version of the Paperwhite.

I'm a happy Paperwhite user, but I was tempted by the new Voyage (better screen, a few other improved features).

The problem is that almost every review I read on the Voyage said that it really wasn't all that much of an improvement over the Paperwhite, especially for the money (and the price difference is substantial!).

Also I would say that anything electronic that expects Xmas season sales would be released or at least announced by now.

I love my paperwhite. I had the regular kindle before and liked it too, but the paperwhite is my go-to reading device. I hate reading on my ipad and my eyes are too far gone to read on a phone.

Here is something to consider and is really only an option if you have a REALLY trusting relationship with some family and friends. I have an Amazon account and my mother, two nieces and two other friends have kindles tied to my account. This means the kindles are registered to me and I control the main account. However, they all have the account user name and password to log onto Amazon and buy their kindle books that go into my account cloud library. They pay me for any purchases they make (just kindle books - not other items from Amazon) and that way everyone can access all of the books purchased by everyone for the kindle. I know that there are book clubs that also do this. It is perfectly legal with Amazon.

Of course everyone has different tastes, but our library is pretty big now and there are books I read purchased by others.

Another happy Paperwhite reader here. I just wanted to add, if your budget allows also purchase the case with the magnetic closure from Amazon. A friend had to talk me into getting that and I'm glad she did--it upgrades the whole reading/ carrying experience.

Also, just in case you don't know, one can borrow e-books from the public library to read on a Kindle. I read a lot but spend very little money on books.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I have all the Kindles (except Voyage). My cheapest Kindle, the $69 one, now $79, took a dump. I thought I'd just use my other Kindles, but realized I like the cheaper one the best. So I ordered a new one. I do a lot of reading outside and plus I like how light it is.

I have the Voyage and love it. It is lighter, and the sensors on each side used to go forward or back are a nice addition.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

The Kindle present arrived today. I am so pleased. I hope it gives pleasure year-round.

I also got the case that springnr recommended. I can't see it because it's wrapped, so it'll be a surprise for me on Christmas too!

Last edited:
The new Paperwhite (and case) were presented on Christmas Day and much appreciated.

When I finally saw the case, I was kind of jealous, it's so slick! But it's getting a good home. :)

Great comments and pointers!

Last edited:
The case is a well engineered product, glad it worked for you.

Last edited:
Well, I have to say I gave in to temptation.
During a trip last month I accidentally got a very noticeable scratch in the screen of my Paperwhite (I foolishly didn't have any sort of cover for it).

So I treated myself to a Xmas present of the new Kindle Voyage.
I absolutely LOVE IT!!!

The page turning routine is even better than the Paperwhite, although it still handles the same system if you like it.

Plus I got this wonderful case for it
Amazon.com: Amazon Protective Cover for Kindle Voyage, Black: Kindle Store
that protects it beautifully, closes with a magnet and turns it on/off by opening/closing it, and folds itself into a great tabletop stand.

Last edited:
This has very little, but some, to do with the subject, but that doesn't stop me. :)

Going full circle: the Kindle gift recipient surprised me on Christmas with a nice (and completely unexpected) coffee grinder that I love and use daily.

So it's smiles all around and now I got me a great cuppa joe with which to enjoy my still-loved Paperwhite with which this thread began.

I was just noticing that while I have a Kindle paperwhite that I like and have used a lot, I seem to have switched over to using my new iPad Air 2 for reading lately.

The iPad is much lighter than my old iPad (which seemed too heavy to hold for extended reading sessions) and I like its crisp bright display for reading. The iPad is a nice even brightness, while the paper white's illumination isn't even.

Of course I'm doing my reading inside this winter, so I'll have to see if the iPad Air 2 has improved its usability for reading outside when the weather gets better.

I'll have to see if the iPad Air 2 has improved its usability for reading outside when the weather gets better.

You'll be surprised at how much better it is than the older iPad. I certainly was.

I’m baaack.

Prime Day is coming up and I remain a faithful user of my ancient Paperwhite.

It looks like the 11th gen is current. Anyone had experience? Yes/No?

Wireless charging is tempting me.

Back
Top Bottom