Television on Wi-Fi?

i don't quite get how you all use free stuff on those devices. I don't subscribe to things like netflix but I can find loads of free movies online on less well known venues. I watch mostly on my laptop but sometimes connect it to the tv to play there. Does Roku allow those things? What about movies from hoopla?

i don't quite get how you all use free stuff on those devices. I don't subscribe to things like netflix but I can find loads of free movies online on less well known venues. I watch mostly on my laptop but sometimes connect it to the tv to play there. Does Roku allow those things? What about movies from hoopla?
Yes. https://channelstore.roku.com/details/4aed5a5b7cd6886cd4eb5be1432bf3f7/hoopla
Roku can run a huge number of different streaming services and apps. As of this writing, there are more than 4,000. Roku has a lot of great apps, and some of them — but not all of them — are free.

Yes you can watch free stuff. Roku has their own channel which is free. You can watch YouTube on your SmartTV. Lots of other free content is available too.

Are there any TV manufacturers currently developing TV sets that can be part of a home wi-fi network?

Or maybe the manufacturers could make a wi-fi chip that can be inserted into the TVs, which would link the TVs to the wi-fi.)

We currently have 3 sets that use 2 or 3 cables each, and I'd just like to get rid of all those cables! :)

Roy

Roy, do you remember asking this same question six months ago, and getting a bunch of answers?

https://www.early-retirement.org/fo...ect-your-tv-to-your-wi-fi-network-118098.html

Roy, do you remember asking this same question six months ago, and getting a bunch of answers?

https://www.early-retirement.org/fo...ect-your-tv-to-your-wi-fi-network-118098.html

Not only that but OP then responded that they had successfully connected their TV to wifi. Very strange.

“I have a Samsung, purchased a few years ago, and I was able to connect it to my Wi-Fi yesterday afternoon.

How did I do this? I read the manual, which explained everything step by step. (Wow, do I feel lame.) In any case, the network is up and running. Thanks for all the advice, folks!

Roy in New Mexico”

Thanks mid and disney. I will probably get one if I get a bigger TV. Mine is so old and small it hardly worth using now so I just don't bother very often when laptop works.

Thank you all for the many quick replies.:)

I'm not really interested in streaming. I have an account with DirecTV satellite service and I like their line up of channels. However, it appears that DirecTV doesn't have a chip or "stick" for their services.

Oh, well,

Roy

You can still add a Firestick or AppleTV to you TV for additional shows. At&T bought majority control of DirecTV in 2015 and I remember a promotion where they were handing out AppleTV if you signed up for a few months.

The PlutoTV app is free and has probably 200 channels of all genres including news channels, movies, comedies, old TV shows, Spanish TV, game shows, nature etc etc with a TV guide.
The Roku app and a bunch of others also all offer a bunch of free channels but Pluto is my favorite.
Basically buy A Roku TV if you want to upgrade to a larger TV. TCL Roku's are the best in my opinion for a new user to streaming.
Follow the simple setup instructions and connect to wifi. The TV then downloads the most popular apps and you can also search for more in the streaming store if needed. If you use an antenna currently connect it to the TV and local channels will also show up in the TV guides which will also include 100's of free antenna channels available over the
internet.
You can also watch Pluto at PlutoTv.com on your laptop.
The same applies to therokuchannel.roku.com/ but Roku Channel teases you with a few episodes of a show and then wants you to sign up for a monthly service to continue to watch it in some cases.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the many quick replies.:)

I'm not really interested in streaming. I have an account with DirecTV satellite service and I like their line up of channels. However, it appears that DirecTV doesn't have a chip or "stick" for their services.

Oh, well,

Roy

You are streaming with DirectTV, just locked into their stream.

So the cable issue is really DirectTV.

How much do you spend on DirectTV per month, I thought it was high like $250/mo ?

You are streaming with DirectTV, just locked into their stream.

So the cable issue is really DirectTV.

How much do you spend on DirectTV per month, I thought it was high like $250/mo ?

Yes, that's about what I'm paying. Should I ask them if they provide a USB stick?

Roy

Yes, that's about what I'm paying. Should I ask them if they provide a USB stick?

Roy
There are far cheaper options for TV viewing today. Since you already have a Smart TV, you might want to look into other services like Sling or YouTube TV or others. We have Sling and pay $45/month which is way less than $250. Even when you add in a few streaming services (Netflix, Disney+) we're still nowhere near $250. We also have the benefit that our daughter has a couple of other services (Paramount, Max) and we are Amazon Prime members so we have endless viewing options including all of the free stuff that's out there.

ETA: I just checked to answer the question in another thread. We are spending $73.96/month for Sling, Disney, and Netflix which gives us endless options including all of the free stuff that's out there.

Last edited:

Yes, I remember, but I'm still confused. One of my TVs finally appeared on the wi-fi network, but I didn't know what to do next. This week, I was thinking that something new and simpler might have been invented, so I posted my question again.

The learning curve (for me) is a long one. I'm confused by all those brands - Roku, Apple, etc. Also, I live in the mountains, 7000 feet above sea level, so satellite service might be the best way for me to go, expensive as it is. I take it those Roku sticks receive signals from towers, or from satellites?

Thanks again,

Roy

Last edited:
NO, Roku, FireTV, Apple TV are connected to your home wi-fi network, which in turn is connected to the internet or world wide web.

No towers or satellite unless you happen to have cellular or satellite internet.

OP - You could even get free TV over the Air, using an antenna.

You have a tv tower just a few miles away, ours is 29 miles away and the TV is great. They are all digital now, not fuzzy like the old days.

You can check it out here and put in your address for a more exact map:
https://www.channelmaster.com/pages/tv-antenna-map-taos-nm-87571

Yes, I remember, but I'm still confused. One of my TVs finally appeared on the wi-fi network, but I didn't know what to do next. This week, I was thinking that something new and simpler might have been invented, so I posted my question again.

Start with stating what you want to do. You say you want your TV on your wifi but you don't want to stream. That makes little sense. What is it you think you'll do if you get your TV on your wifi network? Or what are you trying to do that you don't have now?

Start with stating what you want to do. You say you want your TV on your wifi but you don't want to stream. That makes little sense. What is it you think you'll do if you get your TV on your wifi network? Or what are you trying to do that you don't have now?

+1 I know I can solve your problem but I can't figure out what the problem is.

Roy,
Your TV service from the cable company will not travel over WiFi. The signal goes through your coaxial cables.

Roy,
Your TV service from the cable company will not travel over WiFi. The signal goes through your coaxial cables.

I'm not on cable. I get a signal from DirecTV's satellite, via the receiver on my roof. How does something like Roku receive its signal? Via satellite?

Roy.

The Roku receives audio/video through your internet connection. So assuming that you have a wired internet connection it is:

Wire that enters your home>internet modem>wifi router>Roku>TV

The connection between the wifi router and the Roku is wirelessly via your home wifi.

Often, the internet modem and wifi router are one box, but not always.

The connection between the Roku and the TV is through a HDMI cable.

The wire that enters your home is usually coaxial cable for cable internet but might be telephone wire if you have DSL internet.

I had Dish at one point and Direct TV would be similar. It is satellite signal to satellite dish to satelite box via coaxial cable and from the satelite box to TV via a HDMI cable.

So the Roku is the functional equivalent of your satellite box. In both cases they convert electronic signal to audio/video.

Last edited:
The Roku receives audio/video through your internet connection. So assuming that you have a wired internet connection it is:

Wire that enters your home>internet modem>wifi router>Roku>TV

The connection between the wifi router and the Roku is wirelessly via your home wifi.

Often, the internet modem and wifi router are one box, but not always.

The connection between the Roku and the TV is through a HDMI cable.

The wire that enters your home is usually coaxial cable for cable internet but might be telephone wire if you have DSL internet.

Thank you! I will work with that for a while.

Roy

The Roku device plugs into a power outlet and an HDMI port on your TV then connects to your internet via WIFI to stream their content to you. If you have a Roku TV then it's built into the TV and you don't need the extra Roku device.
It's a 5 minute job to get you connected and streaming content.
You seem to be thinking that the process is a lot harder than it really is. If you wanted to keep and stream your Direct TV programming then you would need their app if they have one for Roku. If giving up the Direct TV then you would still have tons of free content available to you via Pluto TV, The Roku Channel, Sling Freestream and many other apps. Each app has at least 100 free channels. They're older shows and movies but still plenty to watch. Set it up and try it for a few weeks to see if it will work for you, before cancelling your Direct TV.

Back
Top Bottom